I start university today!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Education is overrated

That depends what you want to do with your life. For some, formal education is a necessity, for others it's not. We all have different needs. Apart from enabling me to have the job I currently hold (i.e. it was a stepping stone), my time at university was a massive education in life skills which far outstrip the benefit I gained from the 'formal education' element.

Rich- all the best. Get stuck into everything it will offer- and not just the lectures!

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Who would want to know how ignorant they are? Sounds masochistic

All I really got from rather more than a decade of extensive university education was informal instruction on how to drink loads, chat people up and trick people into thinking I was obviously cleverer than them .... which I think I had a rough idea about before I went

One thing an education gives you is the ability not to overrate it

It is a hoot though, I got to say :)

Don't tar everyone with the same brush. Your time at university might have been useless, but mine taught me a great deal and landed me a good job that I would not have got otherwise.

Good luck Rich, I'm sure it will be an invaluable experience.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Lets keep to the point of this thread guys. Good Luck! just started a week ago doing forestry at University College Dublin and so far so good! What/where are you studying?

paddy

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Useless? Who said anything about useless - just overrated, and certainly nothing to be scared about or worried by

I have rather the opposite problem to you, chris-irwin, mine is that if I hadn't gone to university I wouldn't have the job I do now.

Fair enough, perhaps I misunderstood your post :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, Im so jealous!

Me, Im stuck in nursery school (this will be my third year in college.)

I hope to go to Uni one day...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Good luck, I started at University as a mature student 6 years ago, and I am still there spending an eternity on my doctorate.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Another mature student here, embrace your time in university, stick to your deadlines and make sure you make time for fun, you'll have a ball.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE