I Blame Ray Mears - narrowly escaped widow maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
ahh man i haven't had an other/better half since i looked like this (that's me on the left in white)

22324018_1835937636716821_1120548901_o.jpg

since i look like this i have not attracted a single woman into my life, never even had a kiss

View attachment 46276

I am a way better person and a thousand times more a well rounded (literally and figuratively) man now than i ever was when they used to throw themselves at me, go figure...:D

Just in case to clear things up for anyone else out there typing on the internet without a braincell who is reading this, EVERYTHING I POSTED HERE IN THIS POST WAS A JOKE

If you can't tell that by reading that then you probably shouldn't trust yourself online with the parent protection turned off, nasty people out there make jokes and use sarcasm, a lot

For starters i look somewhere in my early twenties in the hairless ape picture, that would be a long time without sharing my life with a good woman, shiiiit would be a long time to spend in my life without even a bad one.

I would love to know how the Social Justice Warrior brain works, i imagine it is something like this, they see thing that offends and must put this persons or persons to right, but then they always go down this path, i will fix the world one asshole at a time by being an asshole to them, yeah that will fix it i'll teach them all :cool:

or maybe it just don't work at all, see thing and react with zero care for how much of an idiot it makes themselves look or how much they themselves in their approach to correcting whoever they are correcting at the time belittles their actual point or any impact of their actual opinion on whatever it was that triggered their reaction

Last edited by a moderator:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Can RM build a vacuum cleaner out of birch bark?

Yes. The tricky bit is that you need an interrupted bark tube, so you need to find a straight boled Birch, with quality bark around. In fact, TWO, one just a few mm smaller in diameter, as it has to fit inside the larger one.
Understandable that you have to fell at least 15 trees to find the correct bark sections.
The inside of it you can do from Oak. again, a couple of trees need to be felled to get the correct piece.

The end result will be similar to pre-electric vacuums.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Wander, do you not realize we are joking??????

For Gods' sake, loosen up....

Even the video itself Janne is a joke, i don't blame ray mears for these morons killing the trees like this even if they are copying what they see on tv without any further knowledge, i was just in a moment of exhilaration and shock and recorded that action to capture the moment, there was no script i had no idea what i was goin to say or do i just pressed the record happy to be alive and then eventually shared that with folks (i recorded this october last year :D ), i have enjoyed this footage many times myself and eventually decided to share it for the fun of the rant and hopefully maybe somewhere in the fun someone who hadn't beforehand learns not to kill a birch tree for to make xmas decorations n containers n such

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
My absolute apologies if I took it the wrong way.
My mistake - I always took one of the key hallmarks of a joke was that it was funny.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was dealing with a colossus of mirth and parody. I feel so silly now.
Clearly this all belongs in the same category as those comedic greats such as Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning - 'I'm only having a joke!' Bring back the 1970s, eh?

Oh, and 'SJW'? Hmm...that favoured disparaging tag used by libertarian right wingers. Yes, that makes sense, along with the nature of your jokes.
My mistake. I won't make it again - I see what you are now.
Fair enough.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
So you obviously never read the thread or watch the vid, so why bother to post? You took out of context stuff which was us lot joking about ourselves and the generations of men who came before us like our Grandfathers which if you had read the thread you would be totally aware of and you ran with it.

Not even attempting to change you're mind one bit i love that you think we are all misogynists and this website is full of them have fun, i've seriously got way better things to do.

I mostly enjoy how your idea to solve us and our ways was to just throw insults about, have fun

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
So misogynist right wingers was the full insult you wanted to throw, i see :lmao:

You really nailed us lot

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My absolute apologies if I took it the wrong way.
My mistake - I always took one of the key hallmarks of a joke was that it was funny.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was dealing with a colossus of mirth and parody. I feel so silly now.
Clearly this all belongs in the same category as those comedic greats such as Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning - 'I'm only having a joke!' Bring back the 1970s, eh?

Oh, and 'SJW'? Hmm...that favoured disparaging tag used by libertarian right wingers. Yes, that makes sense, along with the nature of your jokes.
My mistake. I won't make it again - I see what you are now.
Fair enough.

For you're own sake go back through and read the thread and realise how stupid you look to everyone else who has read or may read the thread, we spent two pages talking about our mad grandfathers trying to pass on their 'worldly wisdom' to us and our wiser grandmothers cuffing them about the head for doing so and other such stuff, whole thread is full of it :)

Please don't for a second think i am sitting here all angry trying to find you're IP address and the real person behind the keyboard, genuinely found you're knee jerk reaction and ongoing entertainment hilarious, brightened up a mellow Friday evening watching sci-fi but it is shame how dumb you are making yourself look to anyone reading the whole thread and seeing it all, the bigger picture that is around the little one you are trying to paint

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Ironically plywood is usualy made from birch isn't it?

As for the birch bark I gave up looking along time ago, most seem to have faults in the bark which never yield a big enough piece. Also I thought the paper birch you could strip a piece of bark 30foot tall and 2 foot wide with no faults withou damaging the tree, those trees seem to have far to many faults in the bark to be the papyra version. Thoes are becoming far more popular in the UK due to the self cleaning bark.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
As a youngster after watching Ray i went out to try and cut me some bark as i wanted to try the fold up and bite it snowflake style art that he had shown, the birch i found north of Newcastle was not the type shown by Ray (in Canada) so i couldn't just peel sheets of the bark away from base to canopy walking backwards in the technique he demonstrated so i was just about to cut into the bark to remove a sheet as I had seen ray do this for containers and a little thought sparked that i was cutting into the cambium layer and I stopped.

So it's obviously all Ray's fault :eek: if i had killed that tree it would of been my fault but the Ray made me do it t shirt would be waved, if Judas Priest played backwards can be blamed for worse .........

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Baltic birch is used for specialty plywoods. The prices are substantial.

Rare paper birch trees can be stripped of enormous sheets of bark. There's an expectation that you will use the whole
tree in something like canoe building. You need ribs, thwarts, seat frames and so on. You need the whole log.

Fresh birch is a dream to carve and work but it turns from cheese to bone when it dries out.
That's the rationale for the Mocotaugan Crooked knife. It never was a conventional wood carving tool.
That's like insisting on stuffing a square peg in a round hole. It is a birch-working, single-handed, draw knife.

The bulk plywood (48" x 96") here comes in more than a dozen grades and surfaces.
What are you building? Do you need tongue & groove edging?
I've build several very simple bench-like desks for little more than the price of the wood.
I like to use G2S x 5/8" Dfir for all surfaces. (Dfir = Douglasfir, G2S = good 2 sides). SPF for the frames.

Veneered with just about any wood imaginable from apple to walnut and everything in between.
SPF is spruce/pine/fir where dimensional stability is preferred.
I can buy everything from 1/8" rotary mahogany doorskin to 1.5" thick construction.
Once a house is framed, plywood sheeting lets you lock the door pretty quick.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Birch bark biting is a very ancient craft practiced by just a few First Nations people.
The bark quality may mean long distances travelled to a "good place."
Google to see images.
A good butterfly, say 3" x 3", might cost you more than $200.00.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To understand our jokes takes a vivid imagination and a certain (high) level of intelligence, not to mention sophistication!
Benny Hill. Dave Allen. Tommy Cooper....

Your punishment, Wander, is to watch Monthy Python on Youtube! Enjoy!

But I do take an offense in you using 'rightwing' as a negative.. What we believe in politically does not matter when we discuss Birch Bark, knifes or shelters???

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
A perfect example from my own life where taking things out of context and running with a kneejerk reaction because you think you have it all worked out and people need put right

here is the situation visualise if you will

I am 12 and i am at a very multicultural school, my two best friends are twin brothers and they are black and they look so alike they take each others classes as they were good at different stuff and got away with it everytime, there is a lot of racial nonsense at my school and teachers get the worst of it and see it all, so then

me and Jeffry and Sufta are standing in the hall wasting time between classes and i am looking at them both and i say

"I have worked it out, i can tell the difference between you both because jeffry is slightly blacker ........" I never finished my sentence before a black teach 3 times my size grabs me a 12 year old boy by the collar and throat against the wall in front of a hallway full of kids dawdling about between classes in a racial kneejerk reaction assault thinking he had caught a racist abusing two black victims and that he had every right to act as he was acting to teach me how i was wrong, Jeffry and Sufta had to pull the stupid bugger off me, when he found later in the enquiry that i come from a large multi race family he realised it was him being racists towards me, up until that point he was still convinced he was right and that jeffry and Sufta were trying to stop him for fuear of future retaliations when he was not there to defend them, he lost his job and rightly so, he should have went to jail, if i ragged a 12 year old around like that for any reason now i'd be straight to jail, this was in 1987 not 1957

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For a moment I thought you were 12 years old, and thought you had a Testicular tumor on both nuts, so you had to much Testosterone, hence the mature face and full beard...

But then I read on and understood you are only 14 years younger than me, not 45...

But still, as a medical person, I can not stress the importance to have our Male Bits checked yearly.

Prostate and Testicular Cancers are huge killers.
Go get checked!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
42 just turned on Tuesday just gone, i check them mate and i follow the proper examination process every month ish, i got it from the nhs website, very important that any checks that anyone can do for themselves to look for early signs of cancers are done well, i worked for the Breast Cancer Campaign for a year back in 07 and the survival rates 10 years after diagnosis are higher than ever and it is down to folks checking themselves and getting early help as much as anything.

Now hopefully i haven't joked so much before this point that people can see there i was being serious

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
42 just turned on Tuesday just gone, i check them mate and i follow the proper examination process every month ish, i got it from the nhs website, very important that any checks that anyone can do for themselves to look for early signs of cancers are done well, i worked for the Breast Cancer Campaign for a year back in 07 and the survival rates 10 years after diagnosis are higher than ever and it is down to folks checking themselves and getting early help as much as anything.

Now hopefully i haven't joked so much before this point that people can see there i was being serious

No, I think people realize we are serious.

Absolutely correct, the improved 10 year survival rate is mainly fue to early diagnostics. The lower survival rate in male cancers vs female is that we guys are to macho to go and be checked.

In my field, the reason we today have far more teeth in our mouths is also early diagnostics.

Treatments are basically the same today as in 1945.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Please don't for a second think i am sitting here all angry trying to find you're IP address and the real person behind the keyboard, genuinely found you're knee jerk reaction and ongoing entertainment hilarious, brightened up a mellow Friday evening watching sci-fi but it is shame how dumb you are making yourself look to anyone reading the whole thread and seeing it all, the bigger picture that is around the little one you are trying to paint

No, you're obviously not unstable with an underlying issue nor a passive/aggressive manner. The measured and totally-not-obsessive way you've responded to a bit of criticism demonstrates that.
You're clearly a chilled out, easy going, person.

I think I'll leave it at that. Our worlds are obviously not the same and there would be nothing to gain.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
No, you're obviously not unstable with an underlying issue nor a passive/aggressive manner. The measured and totally-not-obsessive way you've responded to a bit of criticism demonstrates that.
You're clearly a chilled out, easy going, person.

I think I'll leave it at that. Our worlds are obviously not the same and there would be nothing to gain.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

I genuinely apologise for my excessive sarcasm, this was a reaction to you're instant hostility in you're approach to joining in our convo and setting us all to rights, first time ever in 42 years i've ever been called a misogynist, I have several exes who hate my guts and wouldn't even say that about me :D

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
by the way calling some one a right wing misogynist is not a little bit of criticism in anyones book

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE