I Blame Ray Mears - narrowly escaped widow maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
How do these Birch Bark X-mas decorations look like?

It varies but there's a lot of ones that cut a peice of plywood into a christmasy shape and glue birch bark to either side. Check out etsy or pinterest, it seems like a big trend at the moment for xmas and weddings.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Think you mean 70 miles south of the Canadian border :) In New York State.
Beautiful area.

Yes i think the Canadians would definitely have something to say about my version of the map there :D

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It varies but there's a lot of ones that cut a peice of plywood into a christmasy shape and glue birch bark to either side. Check out etsy or pinterest, it seems like a big trend at the moment for xmas and weddings.

Interesting it is back in fashion. as a child we used to do (very simple) origami style X-mas decoration at school, just before the hols. Birch bark we went out and collected. Pine cones, reindeer moss, Pine tree bark.
Plus paper and foil of course.

Poor parents had to put those monstrosities up in the tree and look at them for a couple of weeks......

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Interesting it is back in fashion. as a child we used to do (very simple) origami style X-mas decoration at school, just before the hols.
Plus paper and foil of course.

Poor parents had to put those monstrosities up in the tree and look at them for a couple of weeks......

My mother was one of those sentimental types toward that stuff, so not only would we have the junk we made this year she would also get the junk out we made previous years

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My mother was OK in that. But my sister, she saves everything her daughters have made. Has boxes of it in the attic. I guess she plans to take them with her to the Retirement home. She is 62 so it is just over the horizon.....

My mother was one of those sentimental types toward that stuff, so not only would we have the junk we made this year she would also get the junk out we made previous years

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
GGT, now the crucial bit:
I assume you told your life partner about the close call.

Now, next time you are going out for a sleep over with Nature, is she asking you to stay home, or is she packing enough food for you to be out an extra night???

:lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are 101 programs for CNC lasers to cut snowflakes, etc out of 3mm birch plywood. 2D and 3D with pieces that interlock.
I've bought a lot of them, they do make nice Christmas decorations. And let the grand kids paint a few.
Every year since they were born, I have given each of my kids a Christmas tree ornament.
Now, I've added the grandchildren.

I have enough space for a living fig tree in the corner of my living room.
Among the "treasures" hanging in that tree is an exquisite Russian owl, a glue-up of feathers and birch bark about 15cm tall.

I must start looking for birch ornaments. Don't recall ever finding them locally.

The myth persists here that birch is thermally superior to spruce/pine/fir for serious home heating.
That's the primary source of birch bark for crafting purposes. I use a little for inlay in a few wood carvings.
Nobody here likes the appearance of ring-barked birch trees. It's all or nothing.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
GGT, now the crucial bit:
I assume you told your life partner about the close call.

Now, next time you are going out for a sleep over with Nature, is she asking you to stay home, or is she packing enough food for you to be out an extra night???

:lmao:

ahh man i haven't had an other/better half since i looked like this (that's me on the left in white)

22324018_1835937636716821_1120548901_o.jpg

since i look like this i have not attracted a single woman into my life, never even had a kiss

I am a way better person and a thousand times more a well rounded (literally and figuratively) man now than i ever was when they used to throw themselves at me, go figure...:D
20150402_010831.1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
GGT, women that appreciate true quality in a man are rare.
And 'taken'.
My dad was a bit of a thinker. Lots of wisdom. (I inherited none, unfortunately)

He told me, if you find a good, honest woman that accepts all your faults, do everything you can to keep her. Buy her the best hoover, dishwasher, iron.

Mum used to (playfully) slap him when he spread his wisdom to me.

ahh man i haven't had an other/better half since i looked like this (that's me on the left in white)

22324018_1835937636716821_1120548901_o.jpg

since i look like this i have not attracted a single woman into my life, never even had a kiss

I am a way better person and a thousand times more a well rounded (literally and figuratively) man now than i ever was when they used to throw themselves at me, go figure...:D
View attachment 46276

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Back in the day that was good solid advice on how to be a good husband showing appreciation for his good wife, then wimmen wanted to be equal and they had to make hoovers look like space ships so us men would want one too, all downhill since then mate :p

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
then wimmen wanted to be equal...all downhill since then mate :p

Right.
OK.
I think I may have an idea why it is 'wimmen' no longer 'throw themselves' at you. As you suggest, maybe they are not judging you by your looks anymore but by what you think and say and they don't find it attractive? Maybe the problem is that they don't want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like equality?
Who knows though? Maybe you'll find a little lady who'll let you be in charge and who'll do all the hoovering for you. Maybe.

What a shame this forum has to be home to such casual misogynism.*

*This is the point at which you claim you weren't being misogynistic, despite the obvious misogynism. Another hint - if you don't want 'wimmen' (or anyone else) to think you are not being misogynistic the best thing to do is not act misogynistic.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Right.
OK.
I think I may have an idea why it is 'wimmen' no longer 'throw themselves' at you. As you suggest, maybe they are not judging you by your looks anymore but by what you think and say and they don't find it attractive? Maybe the problem is that they don't want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like equality?
Who knows though? Maybe you'll find a little lady who'll let you be in charge and who'll do all the hoovering for you. Maybe.

*This is the point at which you claim you weren't being misogynistic, despite the obvious misogynism. Another hint - if you don't want 'wimmen' (or anyone else) to think you are not being misogynistic the best thing to do is not act misogynistic.

quality stuff i love how you jump to that conclusion, i am so far from misogynist as you can get, i want full equality for all sexes and races across the planet, was raised by a strong woman all by herself and seen her do things and achieve things i don't think us men would even be capable of at all, 90% of men treat women like pieces of property, me using the word wimmen was a very precise targeted dig at these type of men

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
No, obviously. That's clearly not what you are saying at all.

Right.
OK.
I think I may have an idea why it is 'wimmen' no longer 'throw themselves' at you. As you suggest, maybe they are not judging you by your looks anymore but by what you think and say and they don't find it attractive? Maybe the problem is that they don't want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like equality? Maybe they don't want to be in a relationship with someone who thinks they are 'shallow as f***'?

genuinely amazed how far up you're own **** you went there, love it

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Right.
OK.

Seriously do you have a single iota of a sense of humour?

Did you read the thread at all?

Did you even read anything other than the post that triggered you're inner SJW and made you respond?

Because if you had you would (if you had even half an ounce of intelligence) been made very aware that we have all been just taking the micky out of everything especially ourselves in this thread, i hope you live until the end of you're days in the true belief that you put us misogynists right in our place, moron :lmao:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Wander, do you not realize we are joking??????

For Gods' sake, loosen up....

(I doubt my relation with the same woman of 27 years would hold if I was a whatever..)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE