"how is Elvis? and have you seen him lately?"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Hi this might be a lot off topic here, but i'd thought i'd ask it anyway. I just saw a bit of a ropey one sided program called monsterquest on tv, it was bashing on about weird dogman werewolf type stuff from of course, the good old USA. They had in this instance a hunter who had supposedly had several encounters (not romantic!!) with a creature while out in the backwoods. Lots of other reports from direct sightings to just hearing things in the woods that were unidentifiable.
most of this i put down to far to many E numbers and the american population being very easily over excitable.(no offense meant.)

i know from my first foray into the woods at night that you can be easily spooked if you are uneducated. myself and mates had the wotsits scared out of us by what was nothing more than deer barking and then crashing through the woods away from us!

we have our occasional exotics in the british isles and wondered how many of you have actually seen PROOF, not just had "a feeling! or heard something" i mean prints and bodies, film or photos! of our big cats and anything else you might have seen.

it's only a light hearted convo bit like ghost stories round the campfire!

i could think of no-one better to ask than the bushy community, who spend ample time in the woods, have you seen a spook spectre or ghost?!/!!?

cheers all, have fun and merry xmas!
Rob

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I've definately encountered some very strange creatures around the new forest, especially in some woods near bealieu road station.

"scouts" they call 'em. their young are known as "cubs". and if thier not proof of strange lifeforms, I don't know what is :D

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
A few years ago I saw one of the large black cats (black jaguar) here in the Forest of Dean. It crossed the track I was walking along, about 50 yards in front of me, walking very slowly and deliberately. No doubt whatsoever about its identification.

Rod

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Odd, but I just saw a show about a large black cat that roams the forests in the UK! Loads of people report the large cats but no proof positive they really exist.

On another note, my son used to go camping with some friends and they had a large loudspeaker arrangement they took and broadcast weird noises in the forest. Silly, but you know those youngsters!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
My wife and I once got a very clear look, at an animal that is not supposed to exist in America. We were traveling a deserted road very late one night, and an animal that bore an exceedingly strong resemblance to a hyena crossed the road in front of us. This was in a heavily forested and lightly populated area.

I have since read that the Native Americans claimed that there was just such an animal with a large front quarter and a smaller hind quarter with massive jaws that they called Shunka Warakin (carries off dogs). Some early settlers claimed to have seen them, but none since around 1900. Most biologist think that it is myth, a few believe that it may have existed, but is extinct now.

I have had extensive training in biology and know one animal from another. We both know what we saw and it just shouldn't have been there, but there it was.

But of course, we are from "the good old USA," and being members of the American population, we "are very easily over exciteable." So, based on that I wouldn't put any credence to our report at all. I think it would be much safer and certainly more comfortable to rely on trite and hackneyed stereotypes.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I saw "The Beast of Boncath" - a very large black feline, several years ago, prowling the bank of the Teifi.
There have been no reports of this beastie for a while so it probably died....

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
In 1987 I spent 3 days hunting the "beast of Bodmin Moor" along with several dozen Marines and Police dog teams as it was reportedly killing livestock , our tally was half a dozen Black sheep and a Labrador before they hauled us off the moors :)

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
I remember this exact topic been raised last year, It got quite heated at times. i'm pretty skeptical myself, in a scientific way i would reserve my judgment either way in till some indisputable evidence arose, hearsay just doesn't cut the mustard unfortunately!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Bumped into these three one night - turned my hair grey:eek:

aroundthefire6.jpg

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
Native Americans claimed
As their history was oral, I tend to put quite a bit of credence to their "claims." I reckon that there may still have been the occasional mammoth in America only a few hundred years ago. Also, it is a BIG country and although "explored," I do not believe all life forms have yet been catalogued there. Come to that, I don't think all life forms in schoolboys' ears have been catalogued yet!

Nigel.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
a friend of mine swears bline he saw a black cat in dorset once! lol.

needless to say he get a right earful of mickey taking when it is brought up.

cant say i have ever seen such a thing myself but accounts of them cropping up occur too often for there not to be summit behind it.
just my 2p
andy

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i'm glad to get some responses to this, thought with the combined hours spent in the outdoors it was a good question to ask on here. there was some sheep deaths locally in the watton area of norfolk that the police put down to sheep worrying with dogs by locals, but the farmers were more inclined toward big cat attack. but again, there was no proof. no doubt with the demise of keeping of dangerous animals that many were released but just how many have survived and managed to breed?
i'm not an expert on the ecology of it, but it seems to be that species such as mountain lions and the more aloof animals manage to survive and breed without large prides so is it plausible that successful breeding of these animals happens in the UK?
it's a mystery as toya used to say.
keep the replies coming in tho!
cheers all
Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE