How do you carry your food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For water I use one or more of these, work very well, take up no room and are easy to clean

WATER CARRIER

Much better than the water jerry cans I have used in the past. You can carry them full, or if you know you have a water supply waiting they occupy no space in the boot of your car when empty :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I tend to throw oil, sugar, S+P, coffee etc into separate nalgene bottles of varying sizes that I have acquired over the years. These get placed in various places, brew kit in the billy can for ease of brew stops, condiments and oil in a trouser leg bag, and then any other food stuffs I bring will also end up in a trouser leg bag. Bags are easier to pack then containers which take up space whether full or empty.

Trouser leg bags should be in everybodys' inventory, they have quite a few other uses too!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Richard how easy are they to fill, presumably there is a tap which can be removed for this purpose?
Alan

The tap unit unplugs and it fills easily, never had a leak from one. You could pack four or five in a side pouch easily enough, much better than a jerry can and easier to use when full too.

I agree with Goatboy. There’s nothing like fresh ground pepper for spicing up a simple dish and for the past few years I’ve carried a Lexan Pepper Mill from GSI which is small, tough and lighweight although I had to buy this from a US company as I couldn’t find it for sale in the UK.

For anyone interested it’s now available on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110406282295&Category=87133
Fairly cheap shipping too

And I love Saddler’s SWISS SPICE Salt + Pepper unit from www.swiss-spice.com. Bloomin’ Marvelous! Just a shame it doesn’t grind.

All the best
Max

Another posting has just reminded of something I was pondering.

How do you carry your food. I normally end up with a selection of thick plastic bags, all very unorganised.

I was thinking about making, from my copious supply of nylon, a bag.

A bit like a toiletries roll (not a toilet roll :). When unrolled you would have a number of pockets, some small for condiments and drinks and a couple of large ones for actual food. The roll out portion of the fabric would form a flat surface on which to prepare food. Not raw meat obviously.

Has anyone got/made a bag type affair for their food/drinks

The only equipment I carry in the woods is 18th century, and I do not carry much. But I do find that cotton and linen food bags are very useful if not essential for keeping everything tidy. I mostly carry dried foods, oats, pease, bread and meat. There are on occasion variations. Camp/survival food goes inside my brass trade kettle in my small knapsack, trail food goes in my haversack.
Le Loup.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
When it comes to packing food I usually would do the following
Staples and related
Freezer bag packing sealed with a vacuum sealer kitchen gadget...These I find very handy for general storage and including long term storage of drier foods.

Herbs spices and condiments
I use emptied and cleaned out Ammo containers, Ammo is a brand of concentrated energy drink which is added to a water supply and comes in 30ml sizes.

Any sachets of sauces and salts just get thrown in.

Overall laundry pouches of staple, a few sachets of flavourings, and dried veg sealed are the way to go for ready meal type use. IMO

I am and have been for some time been working on a ready meal type system, using the following...
Rice or cous-cous, stock cube and other herbs for flavoring with a thin layer of jerky, flap jack, chocolate, nut and oat based, with soup powder layer all in one pouch dried milk and tea. also, all to be stored in a single sealed bag, with individual seals for each item...with the possibility of bannock and jam also added...

It's far from perfected, but elementally I reckon I am on the right track at least for me. Something which covers breakfast lunch, snack and dinner extras...If I ever get right what I intend I will let you know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE