How do you carry your food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
Another posting has just reminded of something I was pondering.

How do you carry your food. I normally end up with a selection of thick plastic bags, all very unorganised.

I was thinking about making, from my copious supply of nylon, a bag.

A bit like a toiletries roll (not a toilet roll :). When unrolled you would have a number of pockets, some small for condiments and drinks and a couple of large ones for actual food. The roll out portion of the fabric would form a flat surface on which to prepare food. Not raw meat obviously.

Has anyone got/made a bag type affair for their food/drinks

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
GREAT idea... post pics when you're done? I'm a dab hand with a sewing machine and would be well up for a bit more food organisation... :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For a weekend camp I've pinched an idea I saw Nigel use. A plastic tool box with removable tray; with this I carry all the goodies for a trip, salt, herbs, spices, tubes of butter and jam, squeeze bottles of sauce, cup o soups, fresh coffee, fish slice, KFSs etc. This works very well.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good thread idea,

I use the squeeze tubes on this page a lot http://www.coghlans.com/catalogue/productList.php?catID=7
there's a lot of other cool cheap stuff too, can fill with butter/marg, peanut butter, jam Oh anything squeezy. Though on page beware of the lids for 35mm film cans. Pepper added to 35mm cans can release potentially leathal chemicals over time. ( Plus I prefer mine fresh milled.)

Another good trick on longer trips if fresh greens are short, is take your common or garden "lexan" wide mouthed bottle, put some wet kitchen paper / normal paper and sprinkle in sone sprouting grains like mung beans, mustard seeds. In a few days you have nice crispy sprouting grains - very wholesome as sprouting stuff has more nice things in it. Just keep it on the lid of your sack as you go along.

Also for trips take a wee hike along to your local chineese supermarket ( if ones near-by), they've been dehydrating stuff for a long time, you can pick up dryed fish, meat, veg, mushrooms, quick hydrate noodles and rice all at a fraction of the price of expensive trail food. To save cooking / fuel times, pop the said food in that handy wide mouth bottle again at lunch with any spare warm water and hey presto at tea time the food just needs heated.

TTFN
Goatboy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Usually I just pack my food in a carrier bag. For canoeing trips though where weight's not an issue I've got a fishing live bait bag which has moveable dividers in it, very organised for me :)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Good thread idea,

I use the squeeze tubes on this page a lot http://www.coghlans.com/catalogue/productList.php?catID=7
there's a lot of other cool cheap stuff too, can fill with butter/marg, peanut butter, jam Oh anything squeezy. Though on page beware of the lids for 35mm film cans. Pepper added to 35mm cans can release potentially leathal chemicals over time. ( Plus I prefer mine fresh milled.)

Another good trick on longer trips if fresh greens are short, is take your common or garden "lexan" wide mouthed bottle, put some wet kitchen paper / normal paper and sprinkle in sone sprouting grains like mung beans, mustard seeds. In a few days you have nice crispy sprouting grains - very wholesome as sprouting stuff has more nice things in it. Just keep it on the lid of your sack as you go along.

Also for trips take a wee hike along to your local chineese supermarket ( if ones near-by), they've been dehydrating stuff for a long time, you can pick up dryed fish, meat, veg, mushrooms, quick hydrate noodles and rice all at a fraction of the price of expensive trail food. To save cooking / fuel times, pop the said food in that handy wide mouth bottle again at lunch with any spare warm water and hey presto at tea time the food just needs heated.

TTFN
Goatboy.

I love sprouted things, and yet, had never thought to bring them on outings... THANKS!

I like the look of the squeeze tubes on that site too, but was having a problem getting far enough to find a price.

Any chance you could give me some more info about the dodginess of keeping food in film cannisters? never used them, but am interested in why they're not appropriate, I guess because now that it's been mentioned, it seems like a pretty good idea (appart from possible poisoning ;) )

Thanking you kindly Goatboy! :You_Rock_

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
This is the kind of thing i meant. Nylon about 20 cm high. The bottom view is of it folded up.

foodpouch.jpg

I like the ideas. A couple of good elegant solutions that might be the simple answer for me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love sprouted things, and yet, had never thought to bring them on outings... THANKS!

I like the look of the squeeze tubes on that site too, but was having a problem getting far enough to find a price.

Any chance you could give me some more info about the dodginess of keeping food in film cannisters? never used them, but am interested in why they're not appropriate, I guess because now that it's been mentioned, it seems like a pretty good idea (appart from possible poisoning ;) )

Thanking you kindly Goatboy! :You_Rock_

Hi Iona,

If you PM me with your address I've a couple of spare squeezy tubes you can have for nowt. Always keep some back, though I've a set that's lasted for about 15 years now.

Sprouting grains on a trip are always good, both nutritionally and as a welcome difference to some of the gloop some folks serve when you're sharing the chuck duties. Think fresh rabbit stir fry on the trail...:D

On the film canister thing you're going to have to give me a couple of days grace. I'ts something to do with peppers abbility to leach poisions ( hence why if was used in bath-tub vodka production), camera film leaves behind residue from it's production and there's plenty of nasties in that. Will go have a look as to the exact reasons as it's been a while and the memory is fuzzy.

Will get back to you on the cans problem ASAP.

TTFN
Goatboy.

May 28, 2009
UK
I try to keep it simple put the food in a army issue mess tin and then put the larger on top of it. some times I put a large rubber band around it to keep it secure.

Here's a link for a video. I like this idea its similar to mine but mine uses the larger tin to cover it instead of the non-stick lid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRWlK_zVC4o

The person on the video is Mike Dixon he has some excellent vidoes and I recommened you watch them.

Thanks

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Sprouting grains on a trip are always good, both nutritionally and as a welcome difference to some of the gloop some folks serve when you're sharing the chuck duties. Think fresh rabbit stir fry on the trail...:D

Haha! I'm THAT person that, even at festies, always turns up with pre-made proper dinners... and on 'outings' always has a premixed bunch of interesting de-hydrated stuff to make chinese noodle soup... Who gives rubbish cooks a chance to cook rubbish? ;) it's all about skill swaps, and I have many other skills to learn... :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haha! I'm THAT person that, even at festies, always turns up with pre-made proper dinners... and on 'outings' always has a premixed bunch of interesting de-hydrated stuff to make Chinese noodle soup... Who gives crappy cooks a chance to cook crap? ;) it's all about skill swaps, and I have many other skills to learn... :)

Iona I'm with you on that front, as they say, "if you're uncomfortable you're doing it wrong". My pal and I have been jokingly called the "chuck wagons" before as we like good grub. Between the dutch oven, my now dead "COBB" oven :( ( I need to get new one ) and various other nice cooking things there's not a lot we can't produce over the embers.

On the film canister front I my be out of date. Can no longer find hard evidence as to why they are not good news - this may be because most folk have gone digital or I'm not drilling deep enough. However Kodak did release this http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=4205&pq-locale=en_US
though I would say, put some pepper in and it will taste of film so matter how you scrub + I always prefer fresh milled pepper and lots of it. Yum.
TTFN
Goatboy,

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Here you are Goatboy, save you carrying a pepper mill

PEPPER HERE

Cheers Rik,

Good price, but I'm afraid I'm a bit up myself when it comes to my pepper, find it takes on a metalic / oxidised taste after about a day. Have a little "lightmyfire" spice box, ut have to change the pepper regularly. For all the weight compared to the taste I'll carry my mill when weight isn't a problem. It's one of those strange things I'd rather do without, like coffee. Cn't stomach bad coffee, which is why I rarely drink it at someone elses, will always go for tea - harder to muck up.

Sorry
Goatboy.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Liquids like oil and vinager I keep in Nalgene bottles, anything in packets or powders I double bag in zip loc bags. On a whim I got one of those Swiss 2 compartment spice pots (fresh ground pepper in one, chili in the bigger section.) and I hate to admit it it works very well and it now lives in my daybag. I've a aversion to the old plastic 35mm film canisters as years ago I had the lid come off them on occasion but if you keep your eyes peeled at carboots the old yellow painted metal kodak ones turn up and they are great.

If operating out of a car I have a wonderful standard UK loaf sized lock-and-lock plastic bix that stops me throwing my teddy right out of the pram when I find another half inch thick loaf.

The outdoor baking kit is currently in a couple of those clear sided lidded storage boxes but as a rule for actual use I just stick the bags of flour etc inside a plastic mixing bowl that fits neatly inside one of the camp ovens.

For water its Platypusses and a 58 pat' water bottle all the way.

I am putting together a more traditional kit, for want of a better description, I've made a Osnaberg linen haversack to hold dry food and at a museum in Lancaster I picked up some cotton calico and made a couple of drawstring bags. For carrying olive oil I picked up a copy of the Fort Ligonier oil tin

http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/images/Photos/Oiler-Lig.jpg

and for water one of these

http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/images/Photos/kidneycant.jpg

but I'm sad enough to have replaced the cord with a authentic linen rope from a bondage e-store.

For spices I''ll use folds of paper and I'm trying to find a screw lidded wooden container to put baking powder in as I don't trust the push on lidded job I currently have.

All about as water proof as a string vet but what the hell?

ATB

Tom

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Haha! I'm THAT person that, even at festies, always turns up with pre-made proper dinners... and on 'outings' always has a premixed bunch of interesting de-hydrated stuff to make chinese noodle soup... Who gives crappy cooks a chance to cook crap? ;) it's all about skill swaps, and I have many other skills to learn... :)

Come on GB have wee ever served up a gloopy mess for dinner while away camping. http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/belzeebob23/OutdoorCooking#
belzeebob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE