How Do I Waterproof and Issue SAS Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Apologies for this because I know its been discussed at length but I can't find the threads.

I have an ex army SAS smock and would like to give it some more water resistance for the winter. What do I need to do? Is it the nikwax coton proofer?

Thanks,

CAL

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
yeah, what he said! you're never going to waterproof the cotton, the water will bead off a little but it will soak up regardless in the wet. buys you a few minutes in a downpour, doesn't see you through it!
Nikwax cotton proof will make it a bit more water resistant, but nowhere near waterproof.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Thompsons Waterseal is a good option instead of the fabsil route. Its an almost identical composition, but much much cheaper. Availiable from homebase etc. You can spray it on by putting it in any old household spray bottle. Worth checking first to see if it darkens or stiffens the fabric, but i've not noticed it doing this appreciably to anything of mine.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thompsons Waterseal is a good option instead of the fabsil route. Its an almost identical composition, but much much cheaper. Availiable from homebase etc. You can spray it on by putting it in any old household spray bottle. Worth checking first to see if it darkens or stiffens the fabric, but i've not noticed it doing this appreciably to anything of mine.

Be careful there, the Waterseal can stiffen creases in fabric and weaker fabrics can cause rips; use with caution if you have to use it on clothing.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Thanks for the tips, I've got a waterproof I can chuck it when its really raining, I might try cotton proof though just to keep some of the lighter stuff out. I could have sworn I had read on here where someone had properly waterproofed theirs but obviously not.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I have used Fabsil on a smock, never had any darkening.
Made it a lot more water resistant but it'll never be a gortex jacket :)

Preper.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE