How do i polish my Becker BK2 to get rid of the coating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 7, 2012
MANCHESTER
i have started to sandpaper one side of my knive and nearly get rid of one side of the coating and was wondering if there was anything else i needed to do one i have sandpaperd

thanks stuart

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Bit late now but why don't you try leaving the whole blade soaking in a Nitromors sealed container for 24 hrs.

That way the coating should come off cleanly with no nasty scratches and damage to the blade.

Don't forget to remove the scales 1st!!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
This should work nicely, though 24 hours is a bit overkill. The coating should just wipe off after 10 minutes or so. I've stripped coatings off of a few knives and axes before and not had any probs, so you should be ok. :)

Bit late now but why don't you try leaving the whole blade soaking in a Nitromors sealed container for 24 hrs.

That way the coating should come off cleanly with no nasty scratches and damage to the blade.

Don't forget to remove the scales 1st!!

bob_pickard

Feb 1, 2012
epsom
:D I should have asked on here before I did mine - just rescaling it at the minute.

I sanded mine and I have to say after the black comes off it really shows how much time they took finishing the blade before spraying it - I reckon about 10 seconds, mine was awful, pits, scratches, real mess.

It's looking better though, black walnut scales half finished at the mo - I'll put a picture up so you can all laugh at my first attempt when I'm finished

pwb

Interesting stuff.

Been toying with getting a BK9 for ages myself,have they all got manky finishes on the blades once the coating comes off?

Hi Silverback,

I also put off getting one for ages , very happy I did now.
Once I had the coating off there is some grind mark etc but nothing too bad, to me anyway .
Made up some leather sheaths for them and have just replaced the handle bolts on the BK9 with some stainless ones :cool: :eek:.

Pete.

hughewil

Feb 13, 2012
Ohio, USA
I used a paint stripper then sanded off the little that was left. I then gave it a plum patina and replaced the bolts with stainless steel ones with locking nuts.

bk2004.jpg

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Hi Silverback,

I also put off getting one for ages , very happy I did now.
Once I had the coating off there is some grind mark etc but nothing too bad, to me anyway .
Made up some leather sheaths for them and have just replaced the handle bolts on the BK9 with some stainless ones :cool: :eek:.

Pete.

Thanks Pete and Hugh,
I have always fancied one of these as i like the heft that comes with them and they are a good price and perfect for modding.
Some of the things the guys on knifeforums.com do with theirs are amazing,they have a near cult like status following on there(well worth a look,great forum)
Thanks again for the info and pics.
Paul

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I sanded mine and I have to say after the black comes off it really shows how much time they took finishing the blade before spraying it - I reckon about 10 seconds, mine was awful, pits, scratches, real mess.

Why do ou think they coat it? :D I'm doing a rehandle on a Lofty tool at the moment and have the same issue with stripping it back. Lots of rubbing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE