How do i chop kindling without chopping off my fingers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

Can anyone give me any pointers chopping kindling, as i nearly chopped off my pointer at the weekend (my thumb took the worst of it). Luckily it wasnt too bad, but i wasnt far off having my girlfriend opening my jars for the rest of my life :yikes:
Any links to some videos, proper way to hold the axe, however basic it might seem to you, even if its just to tell me to stop being a muppet ;)
After watching this link, it makes me feel even more stupid

Ta

Ben

dont hold teh wood and swingteh axe at it ..... Simples

basically hold the wood and place the edge where you want to cut thine lift the wood and axe up and tap dwn to set teh bit do this till its firm then yo ucan remove the supporting hand and give it a harder wack or use a WOODEN batton to hit the axe thro the wood

or employ this bloke

[video=youtube;BXc5KIsrUu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXc5KIsrUu4&p[/video]

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Another option is to use a chicken stick (also known as a sissy stick).
Instead of holding the piece of wood you want to chop with your hand, you get another piece of wood to hold the wood steady and then you can give it a whallop with your fingers well and truly out of the way!

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
If it’s small diameter sticks, you hit the SIDE of the stick, not the end!
Hold one end (the other pointing away from you) place the hatchet blade on top (the side) of the stick at the far end. Bring them both down together onto a chopping block. The momentum of the hatchet will push straight through the stick causing it to split.
Again if it does not split down the entire length then it’s another call to baton it like FGYT says.

Personally I find it safer if both hands are the same distance away from the hatchet blade. So if the stick is shorter than the hatchet handle…choke up it until your hands are nearer to each other.
If a stick is longer than my hatchet then it needs cutting to size (it is kindling after all!)

Mojo

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
For anything up to 3" I've been using my clipper with as much success and significantly more confidence than I ever did with my lovely sharp axe (since traded in for a fishing rod). just a few whacks with another log and jobsagoodun :)

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
Here's just two that will keep your fingers safe :D

[video=youtube;Kn-cyXPAjzg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn-cyXPAjzg[/video]

[video=youtube;svley5CNsnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svley5CNsnQ[/video]

Kind regards
Mick

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Guess I just been lucky all these years I made kindling with a full size axe all the time no mishaps. I also use a small hatchet most of the time though but to be honest I mainly hold the wood as I tap it lightly to get the blade in the wood then move hand out of way and give a good whack. No issues as said. All comes down to really paying attention to what you are doing. Oh now thisis one thing I know some guys might yell at me for but I have also used something to start the axe into the piece of wood almost making it like a splitting wedge in a way then use axe as normal.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day FGYT

....or employ this bloke

[video=youtube;BXc5KIsrUu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXc5KIsrUu4&p[/video]

I've finally had the time to watch this video.

Anyone else notice how he has only used straight grained softwood and has avoided trying to spit through the odd knot that's present :lmao:

I only wish all wood that's available in the wilderness was like this :D

Kind regards
Mick :D

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Also Ray does use nice sawn bits of wood with flat ends yes....but the process is (in my opinion) the best way to split wood you 'find' i.e wragged ends with no flats in sight.

so instead of sawing all the ends nice and square so they can stand on their own to be chopped like rounds....you just use the methods shown to hit it on the side. job done and didgits intact = happy times and brew on ;)

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
not sure how, But I manage to hold the wood in place with my hand and swing the axe. At the last moment I let go of the wood. I dont put a lot of pressure into the swing, so if I miss, my axe does not hit the ground. All i want is the axe to chip into the wood, after that I hit the axe head with another stick gently and the qood in question splits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE