Karesuando kniven axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Picked myself up a little treat as an overtime gift to myself. Im not an axe man, I prefer a machete, and I prefer them on the larger side. But recently my bushcrafting style has mellowed somewhat so I decided on a small hatchet for carving and light stick chopping/kindling splitting.
82a9ac5c984dfa96acb84a333be4e332.jpg

641c402c0cb333703182228a8c717639.jpg

The axe comes nicely packaged, and on opening the box, I thought to myself this is a little stunner. Nicely finished curly birch haft with bone inlay bearing the company logo and bone endcap. And a little diamond file to sharpen it up. No need out of the box mind you it's razor sharp! Easily passed the paper test.

96318a57088e902612f347bcd12ee782.jpg

The polished stainless steel head goes nicely with the haft, and it's perfectly contoured for right and left handed grips
9d6ea75cd8094c96f93e312ca489c1ef.jpg

ba8563052d01ff52c72fa924f1a5a71a.jpg

It seems nicely suited to a grip for carving too, it's really comfortable to grip in a choked position with your hand under the beard of the axe.
76cb879135b8e8c2b921f0d446a2326a.jpg

After a few quick chop tests, the axe greatly exceeds expectations. It leaves deep clean cuts and the small head cleaves kindling no problem at all. Would I like to cut a mature oak down with it? No of course not, that's not what an 11 inch hatchet is for. But it certainly does have more cutting power than I expected from something so small. I certainly won't worry about 3 finger width branches, it'll make a cracking little splitter with the right application of brute force and ignorance. Anything larger will be machete or saw territory like it always has been for me. But stick whittling it's a superb little tool.

The mask/sheath is plain and functional
77a3a579d1a4fe1136e8a53fd706cbfe.jpg

5e173506ac597b0ade999c9592bdc236.jpg

Then again it does what it says on the tin and keeps you from having any accidents walking about with an axe stuffed down your pants. One of our own fine leathersmiths may well be getting a tap to give it a fancy new jacket!

Overall really pleased with it and it'll be on my hip while camping from now on. Wasn't the cheapest but then if you want quality you expect to pay and it does scream quality. I feel it will last well and is exactly what I want, if you want a big chopping axe it's not much use, if you want a fine carving hatchet, give one a thought! Really nice bit of kit all told, even if I do have to eat the receipt and tell herself it was a tenner!

Oh. And the packaging gets the cats seal of approval!
b05a78940bf5d1a489884df33087e01d.jpg

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Looks too fancy for you mate, better off giving it away on our next meet lol, seriously though, looks nice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Lovely looking axe almost a shame to use it only almost.
Comes with a free cat basket as well.
Oh it'll see some pretty heavy use. Great believer that tools are there to be used. Have to admit I like the look of it though

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looks too fancy for you mate, better off giving it away on our next meet lol, seriously though, looks nice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Aye a touch more than my usual style! If I just hammerite paint the head and snap that haft off to replace with plywood it'll be perfect!

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
That's a cracking looking axe. Really like that, looks like a really useful size and design. Strong case of axe envy now.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
It looks to be about the size of the GB Mini axe although the GB offering doesn't have such a nice handle.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's a cracking looking axe. Really like that, looks like a really useful size and design. Strong case of axe envy now.

Nice bit of kit. Been sitting chopping sticks for a good while (admittedly playing like a child at Xmas) and its still paper cutting sharp

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It looks to be about the size of the GB Mini axe although the GB offering doesn't have such a nice handle.

Considered the GB. To be honest for a few quid more the handle sold it to me. Far from disappointed

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Can we ask how much and from where you acquired it?

Knifebargains.co.uk and it was £108. Only ordered it Sunday morning. They're having a sale due to some rather unfortunate events by all accounts and was on buying knife scale materials. HH do a darker stained model I think too for a bit more

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its very nice but why did they give it that nasty sheath? It lets it down badly.

If I paid so much for a hatchet I would expect a nicer sheath.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Its very nice but why did they give it that nasty sheath? It lets it down badly.

If I paid so much for a hatchet I would expect a nicer sheath.
I have to agree with you tengu. It is in itself a well made sheath, doesn't have any kind of cheap feel to it. Its just a bit ugly. But then it gives me an excuse to tap up someone for a custom doesn't it :D

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It looks to be a very attractive hatchet but I fear that the price is a little steep. I am sorely tempted but am still enjoying my £25 Husqvarna version...

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It looks to be a very attractive hatchet but I fear that the price is a little steep. I am sorely tempted but am still enjoying my £25 Husqvarna version...
It is a little steep I'll admit. But then it's my only piece of "pretty" gear so I splashed out a bit

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It is a little steep I'll admit. But then it's my only piece of "pretty" gear so I splashed out a bit

Brilliant! You'll get many hours of pleasure from using that. In the meantime, I think I will definitely try and get shot of some of the gubbins I don't use in order to invest in one. When it comes to pricing, quality almost always costs that little bit more!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE