How do city folk learn bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Hi,

Just registered with the forum and interested in Bushcraft. I live in suburbia and wondering where and how people practice bushcraft without going on expensive courses. I suppose some people have been lucky to have these skill passed down to them through family or mentors. Any starting tips welcome.

Red

(got the gear, no idea)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
go camping at the next bcuk moot/ meet up/ gathering in your area, and ask questions. :)

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
get your hands on a bushcraft book and go for a mooch in the woods you will pick things up as you go. all the best mate

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Go on a camping trip and while your out try and see if what you've brought with you can be made on site.For example do you really need a stove?Or can you light a fire to cook over,from a small cooking fire it's easy to make a big fire.
Think along these lines and soon you'll be out there with little kit just the right kit.
Don't be fooled into thinking you must have a certain bit of kit either A pot is a pot and a knife is a knife,you can pay a fortune for some kit when cheaper gear performs just as well.
Look in the meet up section and see what's happening near you then tag along.I find nearly everyone is keen to share what they know and all will try and advise you.This will get you well on your way.

I would suggest determining goal which defines you want to learn first.

If it's off site camping, that's one thing.
If it's lightweight camping, that's another.
Survivalism is another.
Traditional techniques another.
Craft is another.

Then ... get out there. Start little and often and learn as you go.

Books are great. Nothing wrong with Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft, for instance.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Red,
As others have said, get out as often as possible - it doesn't have to be far, I practice or play with new kit in the garden.

You can practice tree id etc, in your local park.

Keep an eye on the meet ups section, for local get togethers. There will be another Middlewood Meet (Manchester) towards the end of Sept. Can't do anything sooner as the Scouts have sole use of the site over summer.

Simon

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Don't be fooled into thinking you must have a certain bit of kit either A pot is a pot and a knife is a knife,you can pay a fortune for some kit when cheaper gear performs just as well.
QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement.

Anyhow, do you have a garden? You can practise a lot of stuff at home - knife work, fire lighting, tying knots, etc. This knowledge can then be used next time you get a chance to get out in the countryside.

forestwalker

QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement.

Anyhow, do you have a garden? You can practise a lot of stuff at home - knife work, fire lighting, tying knots, etc. This knowledge can then be used next time you get a chance to get out in the countryside.

Agreed on the kit; you don't need much more than sturdy (normal) clothes and (probably) a knife. Then add tings as you discover you actually need them. A second hand store pot with a home-made bail (drill holes and attach a piece of wire rope is enough)

I routinely do feather sticks when lighting the woodstove, and quite often use flint & steel (or FC) when lighting the stove (1-2 times a day this time of year). OK, I live in the Swedish countryside, but it is the idea that counts.

Practice knots while riding the bus/subway. Carve things sitting on the kitchen floor. Track dogs, foxes and deer in the local park. Tan hides in the bathroom. It has all been done. Stalk squirrels in your back yard.

Basically decide what things you want to do, and then find a way to do them.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Thank you for all the wise words. Fortunate to have a garden and is a good place to start with technique . Really fancy some off site camping and walking. Do have bits of kit so no financial outlay, just need time, practice and study.

I live on the Wirral so the Middlewood meet may well be a possibility. Got 6 months to get clued up. Thanks you for all your help and compliments on an excellent forum.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I live in a town aswell (ok a rural town granted) but due to work commitments etc I do a lot of "backgarden bushcraft", and get out properly about once a fortnight (once a week in summer months).

I have small fires in a small bucket barbecue, and other projects on the go i.e. have loads of lime bark retting in my water butt at the moment, and my shed is full of bushcrafty things, mainly seasoning wood for fires and bowdrill sets, cramp balls and birch polypore drying, half finsihed natural cordage, bundles of dry grass for when practising bowdrill.

The best thing about it aswell is if it starts to rain you are never far away from the comfort of your house and a ray mears DVD ;-)

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I live in a terrace in the middle of Worcester city centre, with a 'micro' garden. As others have said of themselves, I've practiced knife work, (carving, splitting, feathering etc) fire starting and cooking (MMMMMM Fire) knots and even putting up my tarp (took up 90% of the garden!). SO it can be done. Everything you need information wise (and it is wise) can be accessed from this site - There's a librarys worth of experience and ideas all freely given so take advantage of it and soon you'll be contributing too.

Cheers, Magentus

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I grew up in the sticks but now live in a town due to work & wife etc, I just have to make the effort to get out as much as I can. There plenty of stuff to do within walking distance if you look hard enough but I usually have to drive for half an hour before I can go lose myself somewhere for the day.

Welcome to the forum anyway ruger_red

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
My mom gave me a survival book, that she bought on sale. This was many years ago, today I have plenty books about survival, bushcraft, tracking, trees and eadible plants and even rappelling. Start reading and look at forums and on youtube you can watch great bushcraftstechniques. And then get out in the wilderness and train. Many of my skills I have a learned in the garage or my garden.

Trackerman

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i work in IT. i have a 1 meter bit of paracord coiled up on my desk, its great for practicing knots :) esp when waiting for downloads to finish etc. i wouldnt go crazy with knots, but 6-8 useful ones should do. (its also good for hanging yourself if the boss gets moody, but i wouldnt recommend this)

another thing is to start learning the tree types around you. most towns have green areas that you can pop out to and walk about, even on a lunch break.

ladanddad

Mar 2, 2009
northern ireland
i work in IT. i have a 1 meter bit of paracord coiled up on my desk, its great for practicing knots :) esp when waiting for downloads to finish etc. i wouldnt go crazy with knots, but 6-8 useful ones should do. (its also good for hanging yourself if the boss gets moody, but i wouldnt recommend this)

another thing is to start learning the tree types around you. most towns have green areas that you can pop out to and walk about, even on a lunch break.

Hang the boss instead.

Run away to the wild and be free

Taken advice and I've just bought a second hand copy of the SAS Survival Handbook (1986). Hopefully will be a start to something.

That was my first book too. I bought it in 1986, or when every mine was publish. It's crammed full of great survival stuff, bushcraft info and like all books, masses to ignore :)

I've still not made the little sail boat fishing thing though. It looks amazing!

forestwalker

If you are in IT and want to get into knotting; make a CAT-5 o' nine tails.

For plant ID there is a game one can play; how many usefull plants can you spot from the car/train/bus. Does not work as well in central London as in more suburban areas...

And one more tip, from when I obsessed on Mr Gattys book. Whenever you see a landscape picture, try to determine everything you can about it. Directions, time of day and season, what useful resources can be seen, etc, etc.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you've camped before and can get some free time in early August,
You'll be made welcome at the annual Bushmoot in South Wales. It'll be a long event this year and, while there's no strict timetable of lessons, you can ask daily for the things that you want to learn - more than likely there will be a group of others who want to learn the same thing.
It has always been a friendly place where you can cram your learning or chew the cud around a fire with like minded folk.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE