How do city folk learn bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
There is plenty of info out there, i would sujjest that you read and watch tv shows first to give you some good idea's i would not sujjest that you listen to non-professionals at moots etc, there are a lot of people out there that think they know a lot but know very little, follow your own path it will take time but your knowledge will grow quickly, trust your own instincts as they seldom let you down, and bear in mind that the advice you recieve may well be one day life threatining, take this advice from a professional making thousands of posts on a forum does not mean you know what you are talking about.
Good luck and enjoy yourself

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I live in suburbia, and without a car as well. My main bushcraft is done at meets from this forum, but at home you can do bark crafts, make a bow drill, learn knots, learn to carve, tree and plant ID, birch tapping for sap and a whole list of things. Yes its not as fun as camping in the woods or being way out in the wilderness but us town folk have to take whats good in life when we can get it!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
... i would not sujjest that you listen to non-professionals at moots etc, there are a lot of people out there that think they know a lot but know very little, ......
.... and bear in mind that the advice you recieve may well be one day life threatining, take this advice from a professional making thousands of posts on a forum does not mean you know what you are talking about.
Good luck and enjoy yourself

Hi Adderrustler,
I hope you don't mind me asking why you advize against recieving information and tuition for free. People on this forum have been good enough to give their time and experience for little or no cost and that is how the summer moot has become so successfull. I agree that "life threatening" skills should be learnt from professional parties but surely tips and pointers can be sourced from anyone who may have been through any sort of training, and hence have valid ideas on how to improve or pass on that knowledge.
While an enthusiastic ameteur migth not have the flair of the paid instructor, his information can be had for a fraction of the cost. Indeed, why don't you make a booking for the Bushmoot, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

ATB

Ogri the trog

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
Hi Ogri i was only trying to make a point as being a new member admitting that his knowledge was limited, was not to be led blindly, people tend to crowd people new to this sort of interest with all sorts of both good and bad information, peoples intentions my well be good but in some instances they can be dangerous, and that more time should be made doing his own research, i have nothing against bushmoots etc, as they are a way for like minded people to get togeather, just be carefull with witch information you chooze to use ! . there are still lots of people that think its safe to walk Ben Nevis thinking they are safe because they have GPS and a mobile phone thats all hope this answers you question Ogri.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
I don't have a specific answer, only that very few of us live in a true wilderness area; most wilderness was tamed 100 or 200 years ago.

On the bright side, most of us can make friends with a landowner (I'm lucky, my aunt owns a farm; it gives me about 200 acres to play on) or are close to public land.

So I've been thinking what advice to give.....
there are lots of things you can study at home:
-knife types and sharpening skills
-map reading, GPS use
-wood carving
-knot tying
-navigation by the stars
-firemaking (I don't know if my wife is serious or sarcastic when she tells me not to burn down the house)
-flint knapping
-plant/tree identification
-cooking (can you rent a space at a campground to have acces to a fire pit?)

You can do a lot of things near home...this winter I built an igloo in the back yard; that led me to read up on the Inuit and polar expeditions; one path often leads to another...next year I'll try ski-jouring with my dog as a segway to learning about dog sledding. And that might lead to learning how to bend wood with steam so I can make a dogsled or snowshoes.

Its not having fancy toys or going to exotic places; its about having a set of skills and knowledge in your mind....

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Just go to the woods. Even just walking there you're more 'bushcrafty' than being in the city and reading books about it. But Essential Bushcraft is a nice start for the hours you can't spent in the woods.
Don't rush and buy expensive new gear, you'll find it unpractical within a couple of years/months. Just use old stuff.
Go to a beginners course. You'll get a closer look into the phenomenon bushcraft. Also, you can get useful tips about your gear.

Have a good time in the woods!
And don't take the hasty city life with you, make enough time free for being in the woods.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive just been Bowdrilling in the backgarden. I didnt win.

makes me glad I could just go back indoors at the end (complete with a kebab and bacardi :)

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Read, practice, read some more, practice. go to the woods and watch the wildlife. Try to meet people and go to bushcraft courses and meets. Just remember the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. And then keep reading and practicing. Repeat all the above as required.

Good luck and enjoy.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Conversely, how do people who live in the sticks, adapt their skills and knowledge for the cities?

Wear appropriate clothing to blend in.
Avoid eye contact with the wild animals.
Consult the streetmap and building for navigation.
Dont start fires in the mall.
Seek shelter in the nearest department store.
Avoid the popular watering holes after dark.
Dont buy any 'herbal' remidies off the guy in the park.
;)

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
I live on the edge of a city and have learned a lot from watching youtube videos. After some searching, you can make a large list of channels with interesting stuff on them.

Ofcourse, the important thing is to actually go out and put whatever you've learned through watching, listening and reading into practise. I only have a few places to go and practise without having people trip over me every other minute, but they are out there. There's always your backyard as other people already pointed out.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ello laaa, im a fellow wirralothian too.
Woods well the wirral is very diverse playground for you.
Lets talk resources
You have bidston hill which offers heathland (heather, bracken), coniferous trees around the roadside at tolemache road for pine resin / fat sticks etc. There is also stretches where birch is present for birch bark etc.
You also have birkenhead park which offers mixed broadleafed trees.
Bidston sand dunes marram grass and lizards.
Or at my end you have the dibbensdale wetland area (catstails reeds etc)
Eastham woods a nice old woodland with many tree types to study. Again good for birchbark
Also royden park arrowe park and thurstaton common
So even though the wirral is small you can access any microclimate and study the plants and animals associated with them.

S

steelyglint

You could do a lot worse than get involved via your nearest Scout group, my troop do loads of bushcraft stuff, bivvy camping hill and mountain walking/climbing abseiling along with knots firelighting navigation etc etc.

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
ello laaa, im a fellow wirralothian too.
Woods well the wirral is very diverse playground for you.
Lets talk resources
You have bidston hill which offers heathland (heather, bracken), coniferous trees around the roadside at tolemache road for pine resin / fat sticks etc. There is also stretches where birch is present for birch bark etc.
You also have birkenhead park which offers mixed broadleafed trees.
Bidston sand dunes marram grass and lizards.
Or at my end you have the dibbensdale wetland area (catstails reeds etc)
Eastham woods a nice old woodland with many tree types to study. Again good for birchbark
Also royden park arrowe park and thurstaton common
So even though the wirral is small you can access any microclimate and study the plants and animals associated with them.

Thurstaston beach from the wirral way is a great place to walk, as is the whole wirral way. Find the Dungeon from the wirral way too.
I spend alot of time in Storeton woods, down levers causeway and across the fields towards Thingwall. there's alot of semi-wild places but no really wild ones without heading off into North wales.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
my young g/child loves Eastham woods, only ten minutes through the tunnel into Indian territory. I like the North Wirral coastal park too, another good place for a day out.

maisietree1.jpg

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi adderrustler.

When you said:
Hi Ogri i was only trying to make a point as being a new member admitting that his knowledge was limited, was not to be led blindly, people tend to crowd people new to this sort of interest with all sorts of both good and bad information, peoples intentions my well be good but in some instances they can be dangerous, and that more time should be made doing his own research, i have nothing against bushmoots etc, as they are a way for like minded people to get togeather, just be carefull with witch information you chooze to use ! . there are still lots of people that think its safe to walk Ben Nevis thinking they are safe because they have GPS and a mobile phone thats all hope this answers you question Ogri.

I think I know exactly where you are coming from on that, and as someone new to this site, I would party agree too.
I would also be interested to hear anyone's definition of 'professional instruction'! I have no idea at all what that means, but do know the average three year old child from the Amazon will be better at bushcraft than anyone on this site (unless they are from there too).
Surely the fact that someone may know a couple of outdoory things, and is paid to teach them, means nothing in the bigger picture.
I say this, bearing in mind I used to be one of these 'professional' bush craft/survival instructors instructors...........And in the grand scheme of life, I know virtually nothing!
At the end of the day, bushcraft is an odd subject, and you are right to advise anyone to pick who they learn from wisely. It always makes me laugh to see someone look down on a newby who cannot master a bow drill or use a traditional flint striker, whereas the average man from 1000 years ago, would consider us morons for struggling with these things when we have matches and gas lighters!!!!!!
It gets better when the said fellow then becomes all superior for lighting his fire with a flint and striker......Then pops his commercial made stainless steel pot on the fire, and sits in a chair from Millets to watch his food cook!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Hi adderrustler.

At the end of the day, bushcraft is an odd subject, and you are right to advise anyone to pick who they learn from wisely. It always makes me laugh to see someone look down on a newby who cannot master a bow drill or use a traditional flint striker, whereas the average man from 1000 years ago, would consider us morons for struggling with these things when we have matches and gas lighters!!!!!!
It gets better when the said fellow then becomes all superior for lighting his fire with a flint and striker......Then pops his commercial made stainless steel pot on the fire, and sits in a chair from Millets to watch his food cook!

That's really rather profound, I don't think all that many of us would look at it that way. It get's worse if you upload a video of it to Youtube, or chat about your skills on a forum like this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE