horse hair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I'm after horse tail or mane hair. it can be horse donkey or any other horsey like animal.
cheers

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
How much of the stuff are you looking for Jerv ? A few strands to use as whipping thread on an arrow head or similar project or enought to stuff a mattress ?
I might just be able to help out if it's the former option...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I gathered some the other day, good long mane hair from a shire. I got it but didn't have a definite use for it. I asked but didn't get a reply, so here goes again. What can be made from horse hair?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This is the time of year that those who are in the 'horsey world' and in particular the showing/competition side are getting their mounts ready.
I would sugest a visit to a local livery and you may find a pointer in the right direction. You will need hair that has been 'pulled' from tail and mane. Tail is better than mane in my opinion as it is longer.
Swyn.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
just for your info, i collected handfulls of this from barbed wire fences around horse fields for free, my wife suggested washing it in shampoo (as it is hair).
horses do carry some nasty bugs in the tail area!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
spamel said:
I gathered some the other day, good long mane hair from a shire. I got it but didn't have a definite use for it. I asked but didn't get a reply, so here goes again. What can be made from horse hair?

Can be braided into fish line. Takes a while. White is strongest, for some reason.

PG

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
just for your info, i collected handfulls of this from barbed wire fences around horse fields for free, my wife suggested washing it in shampoo (as it is hair).
horses do carry some nasty bugs in the tail area!

That's exactly how I got mine. Sometimes it gets trapped deep in the barbs and is a bugger to get out. I wasn't gonna pull hair out of a shire horse, the thing is massive!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nothing amazing, but I just used a single strand to replace the tatty string on my protractor! It is quite strong hair, and black so it will show up a treat on the map.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
There's a traditional Japanese polishing brush made from horsehair - you get a large bundle (preferably tail, but I've made shorter ones with mane) and whip the length of the bundle with string. Then you use it to apply a pumice/water slurry to non-ferrous metals for a dull polish, particularly suitable for surface preparation prior to patinating.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE