Hornets eating my shed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Went out a couple of years ago to Savernake Forest with the local branch of the Royal Forestry Society. Somone mentioned to severe squirell damage to a nearby Oak (maybe 20-25 years old) upon arrival we noticed many hornets grazing the bark to make paper for their nests. In the quieter moments we could hear their mandibles rasping the material free. An amazing and misunderstood insect, beautiful markings and colour.

On another site I look after we put up a cleft chestnut fence around a pond, every summer on hot days you could always hear the wasps doing the same. Where the bark had been stripped their was often a thin bast left behind and they seemed to target this especially.

Leo

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've had to deal with a few nests as we live in the middle of the country.

One under roof tiles in our "outhouse/storage shed" and one under the BBQ.

They were "dealt" with as my wife is quite allergic to the stings. As totally stupid as it sounds this sorted all our problems. Apparently wazies are very territorial and will not set up home if they think another colony is there. They are still around but kept away from the house which is the main issue.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've had to deal with a few nests as we live in the middle of the country.

One under roof tiles in our "outhouse/storage shed" and one under the BBQ.

They were "dealt" with as my wife is quite allergic to the stings. As totally stupid as it sounds this sorted all our problems. Apparently wazies are very territorial and will not set up home if they think another colony is there. They are still around but kept away from the house which is the main issue.

Yup, when we go camping I make one waterbomb style from a sheet of newspaper - it 'seems' to do the job.

We had a nest in an air brick under the house once. I waited until they were all sound asleep - sprayed a can of wasp killing powder into the brick entrance then gaffer taped it up. Left it a week - Did the trick.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
We may be letting our imaginations run away with us. I think we are looking ( hoping ?) for some bitch queen like in Aliens......Why am I saying this ?......This morning I had a queen wasp in the house, now she was the size of a normal wasp, head & thorax, that is, but her abdomen was much longer, prehaps a 1/3 longer than a worker, it extended far beyond the wing tips, it was a little wider too.( the hornet being a vespidae, I assume it's the same for them).so the answer may be in the abdomen & not the general size.........I know what you're thinking, how did I know it was a queen, well the truth is I don't, since reading this thread I have started to really take notice of the wasps & hornets buzzing around at the moment & I am noticing things that normally I wouldn't give a second glance at. The wasp in question was only remarkable by the size of her abdomen. Not conclusive I grant you, but prehaps worth building on.
I don't know about you chaps, but I have found the net to be particually poor on info about this subject, especially distinguishing queens from workers, but I'm probably mis-spelling in the research thingy.
For all those of you who may have concerns about the outcome of the wasp mentioned earlier, rest assured, the window was opened & she flew away, unharmed, to continue her tireless a essential work.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
....Update.....No News today......

Waspy has not been seen for over a day now (after frequenting the same piece of wood on the shed 3 day's in a row).

She may be nesting and looking after the younglings.....or taking a long close look at the funny pages in some ones house ;)
I will keep watch and hope to catch her in all her brown 'Media waspy' glouriousness!!!

Mojo

capriboy

Apr 19, 2011
ripley, derbys
Googled upon this thread tonight, thought i'd share my day with you all.

After a nice bbq with the little one in the garden I brought a preice of charcoal into the house to get the wood burner going in the lounge, imagine my surprise when I opened the door to see a Hornet string out at me from atop some of the kindling already in there.

Hot charcoal hastily dropped in and after a little smoking one live hornet crawled out and encaptured in a glass jar, none the worse for wear despite it's fiery ordeal. It spent the next few minutes cleaning itself off and struggling to fly but was pretty perky not long after.

It's about 3.5cm long, yellow and black stripes on the tail with a reddish orange hue to it's thorax. I don't mind admitting to being a little scared of the darn thing even when it was cooped up in a jar! Have some photos but aren't great due to the thick cheap glass jar (douwe eggberts coffee).

Anyone any thoughts if I may have a nest nearby? My neighbour says they've never seen one but all the houses on our little road have wasp infestations due to the construction of the roofs.

capriboy

Apr 19, 2011
ripley, derbys
shoddy pic off cameraphone

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Nice one.....I'm feeling that trying to ID from photographs is difficult ;)

your photo shows the dusky clouring mine had in the flesh....but I can not get the scale from your shot (these pesky little critters need to be trained how to pose for us)

Good luck with Identifying it/her

Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE