Hoof fungus? Sorry about the large photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was in the woods today and found this hanging on some vines that were attached to some recently collapsed tree, it's quite large but i would like to know for sure what it is and if it has any use for woodcraft stuff. the outer skin is as solid as wood and even looks like it. Please help
STA50001.jpg

STA50003.jpg

STA50002.jpg

STA50005.jpg

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I think it is artists conk, in bad condition. When in better condition it has a white/cream base that "bruises" when scratched so can be drawn on. If you break it open (and it is actually artist conk!) it will have a layer similar to amadou, like a chamois leather, and a deeper layer of woody, long "rods" that will burn. The amadou layer will take a spark from a ferro rod, and possibly from a flint, and will work as an extender for an ember when dry. Or can be used to "carry"fire, it will smoulder for ages.
I am guessing this, it is one of the very few fungi I know!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Goose said:
I think it is artists conk, in bad condition. When in better condition it has a white/cream base that "bruises" when scratched so can be drawn on. If you break it open (and it is actually artist conk!) it will have a layer similar to amadou, like a chamois leather, and a deeper layer of woody, long "rods" that will burn. The amadou layer will take a spark from a ferro rod, and possibly from a flint, and will work as an extender for an ember when dry. Or can be used to "carry"fire, it will smoulder for ages.
I am guessing this, it is one of the very few fungi I know!

I agree with you. Artists conk is normally white underneth but it sounds like it had manged to fell the tree it had been living off, which explains the state it is in.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nightwalker said:
Very sorry to say Nomad_Of_Soul but your going completely the wrong way about it. :( The two items wont go together very well; Ambrosia Rice Pudding and Artists conk not recommended! :eek: :lmao:

Thanks for letting us know folk, wasn't so sure myself.

You can grate up artist conk fungus and make coffee with it. it tastes like Aldi budget brand but sort of drinkable. My favorite camp breakfast is instant oat cerial with coffee added. So the ambroisa and conk coffee might work but then thinking about you are proberly right.

In the recent issue of bulletin of primitive technology there's a great article about the usefulness of polypores in primitive fire making in which an artists conk is used (successfully) to produce hot coals with a hand drill and shows you how to make a artist's conk 'stove' which will boil water within 10 minutes so i decided to try the stove. will post some pics of it when done. I could even heat the creamed rice up with it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE