Homelesness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2011
Scotland
I dont give money to the homeles in scotland because nomatter what happens you will get somehwere to stay we have homeless shelters galoreand everyone gets a chance the only way you are forced to live on the streets is by your own fault they get all the help that is needed to get back on the right track. asfor the ex forces thing i agree alot of people coming out of the forces have severe metal problems and struggle with getting back into a civilian routine and should be given more support than just plain junkies that have brought the problem on there self.

Thats not quite true if you are between 18 and 30 and have no debilitating illness, mental or physical, or one you are willing to divulge your pretty much on your own.

May 18, 2011
Scotland
This may seem inappropriate posting this thread here but i feel it wholly appropriate as most of us have a very unique skill base that any piece of advice would help people.

I basically lived in a small woodland for 8 years because of the lessons i was taught right here.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahh, I think the problem with the way this thread started is that it needed more context to help people understand where you're coming from EagleOwl, just making a statement was a bit confusing on what you actually wanted to get out of the thread, it seems to ahve worked out now though so all's good, keep it in mind though.

I know that there's a lot of people on the forums that give up time and money to help a lot of people but maybe a gentle reminder from someone with experience is a good thing :D

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I'm not judging anyone by my past posts but the truth is some homeless are violent, not because they want to be but because of the way they are treated. My friend works at a center in cardiff where you can stay for a few nights and he has saved many lifes and unfortunately seen some die, its a harsh reality so i think this thread is a very nice idea as i believe everyone should help someone out if they can, but my personal preference is to do so through charity work

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
On the subject of violence, how many aggressive crimes are commuted every day by people that have a job and a house? There are people with goodness and badness in every walk of life, you shouldnt be prejudiced and think any less of someone because of their situation in life. Strangers are just friends you don't know yet or whatever the turn of phrase is..

I am friends with several homeless people here. They have it tough, but are kind people and we have a laugh. One plays harmonica but it was stolen so I come down to see him with mine and my guitar.

I saw a protesters sign the other day that read: be the change in the world you want to see. We need to cultivate our goodness. Even if its small actions, but ahh I'm not talking just homeless now..

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
On the subject of violence, how many aggressive crimes are commuted every day by people that have a job and a house? There are people with goodness and badness in every walk of life, you shouldnt be prejudiced and think any less of someone because of their situation in life. Strangers are just friends you don't know yet or whatever the turn of phrase is..

I am friends with several homeless people here. They have it tough, but are kind people and we have a laugh. One plays harmonica but it was stolen so I come down to see him with mine and my guitar.

I saw a protesters sign the other day that read: be the change in the world you want to see. We need to cultivate our goodness. Even if its small actions, but ahh I'm not talking just homeless now..

I am far from prejudice, I would not stereotype someone for being on the streets.
A millionaire was killed not to long ago for selling the big issue and was seen as a 'tramp', no one knew he had money.

There was a homeless man around pontypridd town who was a really nice chap, he never asked for anything but i gave him some clothes and sometimes money for food but now he has a home and a decent job and lives a normal life.
My personal choice is not to give the homeless money on the street, dont get me wrong if you want to feel free to do so- but personally i give to the charities

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i dont mind helping out as samon says....food, drinks or blankets and maybe a packet of fags...

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I'm happy to give them money if they spend it on drugs and alcohol I don't blame them I would in there position, in my opinion homelessness is not the fault of individuals it is a the fault of society. Giving blankets or money will only help an individual where as money or time given to a charity will make more of a general impact but I think both are important, still a weird thread to have on a bushcraft forum

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
For my 2 pence worth I've seen both ends of the spectrum:
I've seen people begging on the street who look far from homeless with the clothes they were wearing out that same night (with £100 timberland boots and all) beggin for money (and obviously wasted), through those that approach you with a lame contradictory stories asking for you money for bus/phonecall (who are obviously wasted), all the way through to the real heartbreaking stories. The most heartbreaking of which was a 50 year old Hungarian who was duped out of his money for a ticket t o he UK where he was dumped. Rocked up to A&E numerous times after fitting from alcohol, until he was referred to me as psych SHO for sayin he would end it all. He had no intention to do so other than the fact he had nothing and it seemed the easy way out. I admitted him to a psych ward purely so that someone would take the intitiative to get in contact with the hungarian embassy and get him home, which they did. I hope he did well.
Anyway I digress. I agree with most here - give food or useful gifts, avoid money. And I only give it to those I personally feel are not those looking for cash for drugs or alcohol. Its a tough world, for some far more than others. You really cant judge until you know the whole story. Dont judge, be kind and give what you can.
Just my opinion, I have a lot of respect for those who have lived it rough and worked their way back into society. Apologies if society is the wrong word, of course the homeless are part of society, but I hope you know what I mean.

Jun 16, 2011
England.
I very nearly got into serious trouble after trying to help a homeless person out. There was a homeless guy playing an acoustic guitar and singing and he was very very good. I've seen enough people tanked on booze and drugs to know when someone is either high or drunk, and he looked pretty presentable considering the clothes he was in and the position he was in. So anyway, as I was on my way back to work on my lunch break, I had a couple packs of sandwhiches from boots and I gave him one. He was clearly very greatful and I was happy to have helped. Anyway, about 15 feet later there was another guy that looked at me, not hopefully, I don't really know the look, but he looked at me in a weird way and I thought something was up straight away. Well anyway I carried on walking and I could smell the booze as I passed him. He shouted to me asking why I wouldn't give him anything, and then I felt a hand in my pocket... I put my hand down and grabbed his wrist and pressed my fingers in against his veins until he let go and then he started to push me. Well anyway, he went to push me in the chest and I put my arm up and his arm glanced off into my throat and it winded me a bit, strange feeling having pressure there I guess. So I hit the guy and he ended up with a broken jaw and fractured cheek bone. I kinda felt bad afterwards, but I was infuriated by the fact that I was being told I might be in the wrong, when I was only defending myself.

So now I steer well clear.

That's my experience and I know others have had bad experiences, but I also know some people have had good experiences. But you should always be wary when you extend a hand, it can be more trouble than it's worth.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
signsandflags19.gif

Jun 16, 2011
England.
No, it is never any trouble to lend a hand. Beating up a homeless man though, thats something that should be avoided.

Hitting someone once in self defence isn't beating someone up... It's a justifiable warning to let them know that if they really want to go there then I'm willing to return the favour.
I don't know about you, but if someone starts to attack me then I don't care whether they're homeless, what colour they are, where they are from, an attack is an attack. I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy an just let him push me around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE