home made hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
It seemed such a good idea I made two !

Tested the first last weekend and managed a good rolling boil of water and two small chicken legs with the embers afterwards.

The only mod so far is to place the bolts in the base of the burner head uppermost, with the bottom allowing me to put a large washer on each about 1/2 " up from the base, so as to stick it more firmly into the earth whilst the washer stops it going further in. May help stability.

I may get out again this weekend and try some more.

Great idea.

Richard
(Lampeter)

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
It is a really powerful boil isn't it?

I was using my crusader cup today with some hexitabs and it seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r...! :D

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
following some threads on here i thought i would have a go at making my own. i got a s/s utensils holder from woolworths and a s/s coffee jar with a lid.i replaced the metal handle for a wooden one on the billy can for the heat. for the stove i drilled out 4 holes in the base and placed in long bolts for the legs. the top i cut in 4 nicks to fit the bars that fit in side for storeage when not in use. the whole thing sits in side each other and it weighs 2.2lbs in total packed a way.i timed a pint of water from cold to a full boil in 6 mins.i did not put a handle on the the billy can so that it fits in the stove for storage and a thick pair of gloves (stored in the billy can) are fine to lift it off when it is hot.

02022008032.jpg

02022008042.jpg

02022008040.jpg

02022008048.jpg

02022008051.jpg

02022008053.jpg

thanks for looking.carl.

I've made one simelar to this but with 3 supports on top for the potts which makes easier to stoke the fire.
It work well and produces a lot of heat you can boil 500ml of water in about 5 min. with this

Crazy Frog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE