Home brewers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Brew ale from scratch here at home.
Great fun :D
Big career change will happen for us May 1st as better half and I take over a microbrewery full time. Can't wait :D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Cider from my own apples, blackberry wine, and beetroot wine all from my allotment. Hopefully as time goes by I will get enough plums, blackcurrants and grapes to make wine as well, but it is early days.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My dad used to have a home made still, highly illegal, but since he is dead now the revenue can't get him. I did know someone from my Uni days who converted a wall kettle into a still, his degree was chemistry in case anyone wonders.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Lots of hoops to jump through in getting registered and paying duty, getting planning permission where necessary.
Margins are so tight it isn't worth it on a homebrew scale and no self respecting business will buy hooky booze as the penalties for both parties are too costly.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
No but i thought you could sell home brewed as long as its over the gate and under 21% ?
Lots of hoops to jump through in getting registered and paying duty, getting planning permission where necessary.
Margins are so tight it isn't worth it on a homebrew scale and no self respecting business will buy hooky booze as the penalties for both parties are too costly.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
The only homebrewed alcoholic beverage you can legally sell in the uk without registration and paying duty on is cider.
There is a limit to how much you can produce.

You cannot produce more than 7000 litres in any 12 month period without paying duty and registering.

On my phone so tricky to link to stuff but google "cider exemption HMRC for the cider" info and "selling homebrew hmrc" for more info.

Most of the duty requirements apply where an alcoholic beverage exceeds 1.2% abv.

There are hundreds if not thousands of homebrewers who have all had the dream to make a bob out of their hobby...

Homebrew can be produced for domestic use only.
Sharing with friends is fine. Selling it for money or payment in kind is not.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
Thanks now looking it up

The only homebrewed alcoholic beverage you can legally sell in the uk without registration and paying duty on is cider.
There is a limit to how much you can produce.

You cannot produce more than 7000 litres in any 12 month period without paying duty and registering.

On my phone so tricky to link to stuff but google "cider exemption HMRC for the cider" info and "selling homebrew hmrc" for more info.

Most of the duty requirements apply where an alcoholic beverage exceeds 1.2% abv.

There are hundreds if not thousands of homebrewers who have all had the dream to make a bob out of their hobby...

Homebrew can be produced for domestic use only.
Sharing with friends is fine. Selling it for money or payment in kind is not.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Common thinking is that it was to encourage farmers to retain orchards and make money from them rather than ploughing them into the ground.

I am quite sure there are many other theories out there though :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I brew my own beer and wine when I manage to get round to it. Also grow my own hops and have a few young cider trees planted for the future.

Must try and brew some more this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE