Holy Grail of Bushcraft Books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A terrific good read is "Shank's Pony, a history of walking" by Morris Marples, 1959, J M Dent. Many of the books he mentions would be worth tracking done but Stephen Graham's "A Tramp's Sketches", 1912, and " The Gentle Art of Tramping", 1927, stand out.

Extract from "A Tramp's Sketches" written on the shore of the Black Sea " Most of it was written in the open air, sitting on logs in the pine forest or on bridges over mountain streams, by the side of my morning fire or on the sea sand after the morning dip."

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11980

Can't see a free online edition of Gentle art of tramping but there are copies available at a decent price.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
One of my favourite books is

Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods by John J Rowlands

I was lent a copy by Doc and then bought my own which I later gave to someone as a gift. Since then I have bought it three times and given it away in similar ways.

I've just ordered hardback copy, who knows, I might hang onto this one.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Stay Alive with Eddie McGee. Loved the program and the book. Recently found another copy as no doubt left my original in a wood somewhere as a kid.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
I'm with Wayland on his choice ,I have a very old copy of this book found in a second hand bookshop . If I'm unable to get out for whatever reason I have a quick read and I'm there in the great north woods. A great cabin fever cure .

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Eddie Magee, No need to die, some great tips that you rarely find in more modern books well worth a read if you can still get a hold of one

a great book, as is his "complete survival". they're not too tricky to get hold of either, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Bo...4503/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334441007&sr=8-1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddie-McGee...4054/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334441007&sr=8-2

i don't think i have a "holy grail" of bushcraft books, but i'm surprised that the SAS survival handbook hasn't been mentioned yet, i'm pretty sure that lofty's quite a hero of a few of us

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
6670955-M.jpg

No Surrender: My Thirty-Year War
confused0066.gif

Hiroo Onoda

In 1944, Lt. Hiroo Onoda was sent by the Japanese army to the remote
Philippine island of Lubang. His mission was to conduct guerrilla warfare
during World War II.

Unfortunately, he was never officially told the war had ended; so for 29 years,
Onoda continued to live in the jungle, ready for when his country would again
need his services and information.

Eating coconuts and bananas and deftly evading searching parties he believed
were enemy scouts, Onoda hid in the jungle until he finally emerged from
the dark recesses of the island on March 19, 1972.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Not exactly bushcrafty, but this has been haunting me. When I started making knives, Ray Mears sold a book called 'antlerknife' by Ulf Avander. It became more and more expensive and soon dissapeared from the site.

I emailed woodlore asking if they would ever go back in stock, to which they replied that Ulf was rewriting the book and they didn't know how long it would take. I'm thinking about mailing Ulf, to ask if he's almost done... Does anyone here have the book?

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Not really bushcraft but kind of self sufficiency (to a point) as a youngster I was desperate to get hold of the "Poor Mans James Bond" books and the "Anarchists Cook Book". I have seen some PDF's of them recently and was shocked at how amateurish they are with hand typed photocopied pages. I'm kind of glad I did not get hold of them.

As a side note I find the OP's lack of interest in fiction rather tragic.

browntrout

Dec 28, 2012
Perth
Niels, i mailed Ulf thru his website a couple of months ago and he had a few of copies of Antlerknife left.
He sold me a copy and posted it very quickly for a very reasonable price, very nice guy to deal with. Good Luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE