Hobo stove + meths burner pot stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I made a small pot stand for my meths stove out of a coathanger:
5676198416_fccb020562.jpg

5676195434_e175f3b505.jpg

Whilst messing about with the coat hanger wire, I had the idea of creating 3 little pot stand things for my hobostove. This is similar to the flip down stands used on the trangias. However, as the wire is round, it keeps flipping from side to side and won't stay in place:
5676196846_07954a6be0.jpg

5675632259_64293de46c.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas as to what material I could use instead. It needs to be flat, but have enough strength to hold a pot full of water up. Being easily bendable with pliers would be good.

I guess I could get someone to forge me one, but I don't really want to spend much on them as it's just a simple idea.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's the diameter of you hobbo stove Chris ? I might have a PC fan cover which would work, same as this ....

DSC00688.jpg

Not sure if it's what you're after but let me know

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
you could just cut a few strips out of a stainless canister and bend those to shape, you might want to warm them up a bit first to make them easier to bend but you could just do that over a gas hob or similar. it works, that's how i made the same kind of pothangers, to be honest though i've gone back to steel skewers now.

stuart

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what material I could use instead. It needs to be flat...

No, it doesn't need to not be round, it just needs to stay in place. Why not bend the bit of wire double before you start the next one? Then you'll have one that's twice as strong and wont wobble (so much) from side to side.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Why not have it shaped to span over both sides of the stove instead of hanging over just the one, this would make it very strong and anchored on both sides so it can't twist.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
What's the diameter of you hobbo stove Chris ? I might have a PC fan cover which would work, same as this ....

DSC00688.jpg

Not sure if it's what you're after but let me know

It's an Ikea drainer, approximately 12cm in diameter. Looks the same as the one in your pic. Would be great if you do have one, thanks.

No, it doesn't need to not be round, it just needs to stay in place. Why not bend the bit of wire double before you start the next one? Then you'll have one that's twice as strong and wont wobble (so much) from side to side.

I'm not sure if just doubling it up would hold it in place well enough. however, if I was to leave a 1-2 cm gap between the doubled up wire, that would probably provide enough stability. Good idea.

Why not have it shaped to span over both sides of the stove instead of hanging over just the one, this would make it very strong and anchored on both sides so it can't twist.

I'm currently using bike spokes pushed through the holes to create a stand, but the problem is that they do not pack down very small and are awkward to carry. If I was to span the whole stove, it would have the same issye

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I just use two spokes cut to the diameter of the hobo +20mm
I put a 90 deg bend at 10mm in and push them through the holes.
They are shorter than the depth of the hobo, so I pack them inside it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE