Hip flask recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
filcon as i stay in killie i have to say johnny walker blue label is without a doubt the best,but at around £155 a bottle it may put a few off,or unless you know an employee who can get them cheaper at the factory shop.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Filcon

Glayva and cherry brandy mixed 50/50.

Tastes a lot better than it sounds (thankfully)

I'll let you try it next time we're at the bothy mate.

Cheers...Gumbob

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Any Islay malt
Rusty nails = 50/50 whisky/drambuie
Glayva
Sloe gin
Port (only if I'm packing stilton and apples)
The important thing is to have a hip flask that's big enough.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I don't have a hip flask but in the winter I take Japanese Sake and heat it up which warms you really nicely in the winter. The better Sake's are harder to find outside of London and should be drank cold, but the cheaper Sake's can be heated. Warms the whole of your insides

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Lagavulin, Laphoaig, Islay mist. failing that it's a trip to the offie for some Woods navy rum or some Appletons golden rum. if unavailable, it's time for some golden tequila. Oh, and a sigg bottle makes quite a good "hipflask"!

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
falling rain "I don't have a hip flask but in the winter I take Japanese Sake and heat it up which warms you really nicely in the winter"

- also another fine suggestion. i'm often to be seen with a bottle or two in hand at parties. usually nobody else drinks it so the more for me! :D (theres a tight northern sterotype for you)

i think any good sake (not theUS improted stuff IMHO too dry) is ok to drink warm or cold . some modern fancy ones are less geared towards traditional drinking tho. either way i try and take my unbreakable sake box to sup it out of.....its always fun to see people struggle to drink out of a square box.

generally speaking: winter = warm sake, summer = cool (or mixed with pure orange).

have you seen those new mixers in bars lately? cant' remeber the name but theres a plum, sake inspired one.

bogflogger "Woods navy rum"

- :yuck:

Back in October I went to get my hip flask out of summer hibernation only to find it still half full. :D

So without thinking I just took a large swig :rolleyes: , the taste was horrendous :yuck:

When I poured the remains out into a glass it was bright green, that almost luminous colour of copper verdigris :eek:

I haven't used it since :eek:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Motorbike Man said:
That whisky Mead is such a good choice. I took some with me to Whitby in the spring a couple of years ago and once people found out what was in my hip flask I struggled to keep any for myself. After going to a hammerin in kent where Trond Pedersen had some Aqua Vit, I'm seriously trying to get hold of some of that as a winter treat for myself, seriously nice stuff, the flavour hits your tounge, the whole thing bypasses your throat and hits your stomach with a very pleasant warming sensation :D

IKEA..!! i was given an Aqua Vit gift pack with 8 mini bottles some were goegeous and dissapeared very quickly some were undrinkable and are still kicking around somewhere.. i really liked the one that tasted like bongella! :D

D

Don'tkillbill

Johnny Walker Blue. I wish.... Anyone actually tried it? Love to hear about it. Almost took my wife to a diner for our anniversary to a place that sold it by the glass so I could have one sip.... She veto'd the place for a cottage..

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Laphroaig, have a nice bottle of quarter casked at the moment :p . Rather partial to Ardbeg too.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
My hip flask is always full of Pussers Rum :D Blue label if I can find it, Red label more often...Been drinking it since I was a kid (cheers Grandad!) , closest thing to an addiction I have :lmao:

For short trips with company I sometimes take a flask of Remy Martin VSOP mixed 75:25 with any old claret. Fantastic taste :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
A Friend !! brought back some Barbados Rum (from barbados duh) and it has (temporarily) replaced the islay malt that I usually carry.

Incidentally nobody on this thread has actually come up with a combination that i dont like/wouldnt like to try. Im gonna try that jelly baby gin thing for sure

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE