Hill people Shepard Stove, thinking about buying?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Hi, I'm off to India again and returning in February to be living in my Polish lavvu on my mates land in Cornwall for a bit. So not completely homeless. 😊

I want to buy a wood stove for the Lavvu for simple cooking, heating water and warmth.

I was looking at the Hill People Small Shepard stove. It looks lightweight and pretty simple construction after taking it out from my bergen.

Has anyone used one of these or have any comments on the stove please?

I like something I can move easily as using public transport or bike and panniers for my transport. So your opinions on this Small Shepard Stove would be much appreciated.

YouTube video is linked below.
http://youtu.be/zhzigHmJQJQ

[video=youtube_share;zhzigHmJQJQ]http://youtu.be/zhzigHmJQJQ[/video]

I will have to sort out a chimney too, so for any advice I would be grateful.

Cheers, Alex.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Have you thought about the size of a polish lavvu once thrres a stove inside too?

As for a flue, titanium foil is the business. Mine came from ti goat with there wifi stove (i need to open the door at -5*c in a bergans 4-6 man or i'd cook)

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Have you thought about the size of a polish lavvu once thrres a stove inside too?

As for a flue, titanium foil is the business. Mine came from ti goat with there wifi stove (i need to open the door at -5*c in a bergans 4-6 man or i'd cook)

As for the small personal living space it wil certainly be bigger than my bunk cabin aboard my old ship, and no crew being sea sick either. ��

Yeah, it's a good point, maybe I will get a small ammo box style one with short legs to sit nearer the ground, less ATAT style and more Dachshund style. ��

Thanks for the tip about the titanium foil, I shall look into it.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
that looks pretty nifty to be fair

*edit
I'v not used that stove but i have got a hill people gear mountain serape and they are an absolutey stella company to deal with, customer service is top drawer

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yeah, they look good and I like the design, I was wondering if it may be too thin a plate to last long, but the size of this stove is defiantly too big for my Lavvu, even with the third section but in place. Until I build the extension skirt I will have to use an ammo stove design, but I'll be happy with that.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ammo box stoves are good mate

This is a .50cal

Similar size to a medium ti goat wifi, bit bigger maybe....again, really hot in a lavvu

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thanks for the photo, I do like the look of the ammo stoves with the short legs.

Hmm, maybe I could just feed the fire less, if a little hot, or keep a damper closed for a slower cooler burn.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i was talking more about when i'm cooking or brewing up. Really does get hot in there........better too hot than too cold though eh

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Ah, I see.
Yes, door open time I think.

Well at least you got your own sauna, just spit water at the stove. Lol

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
After some thought, as it's only a temporary situation, I think I will just use my Feuerhand hurricane lantern and use some Whitby petrol pocket handwarmers in me sleeping system.

That me warmth sorted, as for cooking I can use a solo stove or gasifier type stove in the vestibule area by adding a third poncho.

That should do me.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Mind you, I do like the look of those ammo stoves, maybe I will make a smaller one from a 762 cal box I have, it about half the width but should be able to put a branch width in.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Nice design CrosslandKelly, I especially like the tripod design. Nice and stable.

I might have to have a word with my welder mate.

It certainly gives me inspiration.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have the Shepherd stove, and I really like the design (all-in-one body apart from the belly sheet). The curved belly is the most efficient design you can get, as any logs sort of slide down to the bottom. Yet, unlike the circular/barrel stoves they have a flat top for efficient cooking. It is a bit heavier than an all-titanium stove, and I'm not impressed with the stovepipe they provide. THis is a 4" roll-up s/s pipe, but it has an awkward damper system where you have to roll up metal hoop inside the pipe and match up the slot into which a slide-in/slide out damper fits. I tend to use one of my 3" ti roll-up pipes, with a 4" to 3" pipe converter. THe original 4" pipe does work, but its a bit fiddly for me.

This stove puts out some serious heat - more than adequate for my Seekoutside 8 man tipi in sub-zero conditions. Total overkill for a small laavu. Quite frankly you'd be better off with a Liteoutdoors small Ti stove - see http://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/liteoutdoors-titanium-stove/ . This, to me, is the best designed small stove out there, particularly at the price. In particular, the large door opening with the air-vents in it. The one drawback for me on these stoves was the use of wire on the top (as shown in their videos.) However, these have now been replaced on all their stoves with solid rods (I checked with the company). I'd also like to add on a spark arrestor, as these only come with a damper. TiGoat have some which would fit. (Ah, but you'd need to get Liteoutdoors to cut a 3" hole and pipe, instead of the 2.5" one normally provided on the smaller stoves.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I wasent overly impressed with the ti goat spark arrester. Just a very open mesh 'cap' for the flue top
it soon got replaced with one made from an empty engine oil filter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE