Highlander HPX100 Stove Bargain At Mountain Warehouse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I picked up one of the above yesteday for £8.50 from Mountain Warehouse - well when I say I picked it up my other half bought it me for not injuring people in a particularly awful trip to ikea...

Anyway, its a bit of a bargain. I've not used it yet but will dig out my volvano stove mug and give it a go today.

They were also selling the gas cartridges for £2.50. I don't know if thats good or not but I needed one to test it.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
This highlander copy of the famous pocket rocket stove is one of my favourite stoves. Oddly they used to sell for approx £6 when they first arrived in stores, but the price soon rose steeply when it was realised thet the pan supports on this model were stronger than on the otiginal pocket rocket.
Generally I see these now selling at £11, so you did get a bargain. Hopefully you have the MK1 version as the legs seemed better on the first version.

If you want to store your stove inside your cooking pot to save space, have a look at the legs in the folded (closed) position. Often, when they are touching in the centre (at their top, above the burner head), they (or one of two of them) will still be 2-3mm away from the burner head on their inside edge. If this is the case, simply filing the inside top edges of the pan supports by about 1mm will cure this problem. This allows the stove to stow about 6mm narrower in the closed position, which can be the difference between it fitting inside your pot (c/w gas cart) or not.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to decide what size pot it will fit in and what to do with the cartridge. I'll have a look at it and get the file out.

However, since posting this I have seen a very similar looking stove at Go Outdoors for £7.50! No idea of the quality as I have only seen it on line but its looks very, very similar.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Cal. the stove in Go Outdoors is the same stove, but sold under the Hi Gear brand from what I remember. Many stoves are sold under many different brand names, but will all have been made in the same factory (likely to be China), and be of the same quality. Hi gear are also selling a 'Crux' folder copy stove too, if you are looking for something easier to store in a pot, but I don't think they have managed to get the burner head as stable as the genuine crux model.

As for the stove you already have, the difference being that the Highlander ones tend to have a thick aluminium block at their base, and the Hi Gear ones have the block in a gold colour. This gold colour is to copy another manufacturer, but I cant remember which one it is right now (sorry). If you have the highlander one, you can treat it as the MK1 type, which IMHO has a better pot support design.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Thanks Ray.

I'm really looking forward to trying the stove out. I'm away next weekend so will be giving it a work out then. Just one more question, what kind of burn times do you get from the gas cylinder? I know it depends on use but predominantly boiling water for brews, soups etc... It's been years since I have used a stove like this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Cal.
I'm afraid my answer is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string'.

The burn time for any given cylinder can vary massively, and depends on several factors, which is why I cannot answer you properly!

As an average, you will be looking at approx 90 minutes running time for a 250 cart. I chose A 250 cart, as it would give the stove more stability on rough ground. Things to bear in mind could be (and ignore this if you know it all already) that when you are boiling water for a bru, you are going to be using a very narrow pot (your vango mug), so you will only need to have the stove on half power to boil your water. If you have the stove on full power, it will not boil any faster, as the small base of the pot will only accept so much heat exchange, but you will waste lots of gas, which will simply be pushed out to the sides of your pot (and heat the handles so they are too hot to touch). The outside air temp and water temp will also play a huge part in boiling times, as will the wind speed. It is worth remembering that the boil times quoted by the manufacturers have no similarity to those out in the field...Unless of course your field is at 20 degrees c with no wind at all, and your water is at 20 degrees c too!. Luckily the stove you have is less affected by wind than a lot of other cannister top stoves, so you will not lose too much heat to the wind.

Will you be using a wind shield? A good wind shield can knock two mins off your boiling time, so you save quite a lot of gas (you can cook on lower settings too). I prefer a wind shield to cover some of the pot too, and not just the area to the side of the flame, as this speeds boiling time. You may know that the gas vapour comes from the cylinder at very cold temperatures (-73 degrees c for butane) and this is why frost forms on cylinders during cooking. This lowered temperature affects the ability of the gas to vaporise in the cylinder, and so reduces the output of the flame (which is why 'butane only' cylinders do not work properly below 8 C). A good wind shield will will help to trap some heat from the flame and keep the cylinder warm, so increasing flame size.

Once your water is boiling, you can either turn off the stove (hardly rocket science was it !), or if you want to cook some dehydrated food, you could then put the pot into a pot cosy, so your food will continue to cook, while using no extra gas. For example, if you cooked some dried pasta, and two pot noodles, you could potentially save 20 mins of gas by using a pot cosy. This is not purely to save money and the earth's resources, but means you carry less gas (i.e. weight) on longer trips.

So, if you keep your flame turned down to a level where is will still just keep the water boiling (longer boiling times do not always mean more gas used here), and use a good wind shield, then look to get at least 90 mins from a 250 gas cart. As you are looking to perhaps keep your stove and gas in the pot, one other tip is that when you finish boiling you water, just pop the pot back over the stove until all the water residue in it dries out. This will prevent your stove, or the bare metal base of the gas cart leaving rust in your pot. This makes the pot easier to clean, and stops any damage to any non stick coatings it may have.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE