Hex3 or Acto

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Has anyone had any experiance of these tents, I am after a small lightweight tent and have looked at the GoLight Shangrila 3 (Hex 3) the small teepee type tent and also the hilleberg Acto, I read somewhere that the Acto needs a lot of space to put up but the Hex suffers from condensation.
If anyone has experiance of these tents i.e putting up and waterproof issues, please let me know, Thanks.

"Have fun shoot a stick"

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hex 3 user here, its a great tent, no more condensation than any other single skin tent, but a friend has had trouble with condensation in his Acto, but its still a great tent. I use the nest in my Hex and even with that the whole setup is very light.

I can pitch the Hex faster than a hammock and tarp setup, you can suspend the tent off a line and leave the pole at home, its very strong, stable in winds and sleeps two in real comfort, if the weather is bad two of you can sit in comfort and play cards, chat or even (at your own risk) use a small stove to cook your meals. The extra space means the Hex is a winner for me, but there is nowt wrong with the Acto either other than being short on living space in comparison.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have no experience of the Akto, but I do own a Shangri La 3 and share Richard's high opinion of it.
The best thing for me is how easy it is to put up and take down and the room you get inside for the tiny weight.
It is very stable in wind and handled the recent snow pretty well too. Yes condensation does build up under certain conditions but I find that I'm able to live with it.

Mike Benis

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2008
England
Richard, how does the nest work with condensation? Is it the same as the inner tent on other nylon tents or is it really only for insect protection?

MTIA

Mike

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mike if you get condensation the net will stop it dripping on you. I guess you could leave the tent at home in the summer and use the nest as a bug safe haven with waterproof floor.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have an Akto and it is a bombproof little tent that does suffer from condensation in the right (wrong!) conditions. There is not much living space and I can only just sit up comfortably in it. (I'm 6'). That said it is very light and packs down well. And did I say it was bombproof? I have been out in some wicked weather in it and always felt secure. These days I use it more in winter on when I am a a site and the tarp does not afford enough privacy.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i have a hex3 and have never had any condensation problems.
its put up with some storms that sent a couple of other tents up into the clouds too. Nice ans aero dynamic.
Only one fault - no porch! Getting a tarp up as a big one man porch is a near perfect set up to me.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have used a Hex 3 for a few years now, with and without the nest, echo what Richard says, the condensation is no worse than any other single skin tent, ans also echoing Richard, you get a Hex set up in less time than it takes to set up a hammock, not a cheap tent, but worth every single penny imo

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I've had and used an Akto for the last 12 years. It's been used extensively in New Zealand, all of Scandinavia, Japan, sub-saharan Africa, in the Alps and Canada.
It's been used through the year in heat and cold, wet and dry.
Never had a problem with condensation, never had a problem finding enough room for it and never had it fold on me despite extreme winds, torrendous down-pours or heavy snow-fall.
The only little nag I might have is that the head-room isn't the greatest. But I guess you have to pay somewhere for getting a very low-weight tent.
Otherwise there's always been enough room for me plus whatever kit I've been bringing along.
I can't recommend this tent strongly enough.
/ Karl

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Akto works perfect for me since years. Don't forget to Seamseal it from inside (especially the floor). Great tent.

Do What with what??? this is a £300 tent we're talking about here right?

At that sort of money I wouldn't expect to have to do this/anything. With that in mind if I wanted a tent like this I would consider the Lichfield terklite 200 which looks very similar weighs about the same at 1.9kg and costs less than £100 of any high Street (SEE HERE)

Then again, I'm tight like that my ligtweight tent is a gelert and cost bout a tenner and has lasted years;)

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
aaaaand another thing!

I've just found out the lichfield are owned by Vango and the treklite is in fact a vango Banshee. The Vango Banshee however, is cheeperat around £70!!!! work that one out:confused:

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I love my hex 3

echo all of the above about it.

lack of porch? rig a tarp condensation? none yet.

There have been comments regarding hex 3's and their ilk being a bit chilly in cold climes since the inner is netting so does'nt cut down on drafts, but I've never had a problem.

packs small too and can be classed as modular - outer alone, inner alone, together. I attched bothe the nest and outer together, using the clips off my hennessey attached to the tabs on the outer, so it can be put up with everything together - staying dryer. Does'nt pack that small though in this configuration.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

Just running to keep up here and had to google both tents to see what they were, but found this and thought it might be of interest, plus there's a nice dog!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdgTmMfaRM

Could someone explain - is the nest on the Hex 3 an inner, if so the pole is inside this, and so is it then a pitch inner first or do you pitch the tent with the nest already attached inside?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
It's pretty easy to pitch the inner first. I have to say, I thought about leaving the inner/outer connected and seeing if it would pitch in one go but haven't had a chance to do it yet.

A comment on the Shangri-La: I believe the latest models are properly seam-sealed but last-years (and older ones) need to be pitched inside out and seam-sealed; otherwise, you will get some spray inside in really foul weather.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Mike, I'd be interested if it can be pitched in one - having ended up with a wet inner a few times I tend to avoid "pitch inner first" tents, is the ground sheet any good, does it need a footprint?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE