Herbs and stuff...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
I was told, that when taking herbs and spices into the wilds to brighten up the taste of your food that one should try to take ones that also have a medicinal quality to them.

You have probably guessed the question...

What herbs/spices/etc do you take, and what does it do?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I take Tea Tree oil wherever I go, I swear by it as a natural antisceptic and a great aid to healing; but alas, no culinary use............atb mac

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Lavender oil in the FAK for burns and bites, vegetable oil infused with garlic for cooking and fungal/ infected skin... I used to take whatever was in season in the garden (before it got nuked!) to add taste and as a tonic for lots of lovely minerals etc... I usually have oats with me for porridge and as a potential compress to draw infections, you can take vinegar for bandaging bruising and sprains if you're a fan of it on food. Find a good natural remedies book from the library and see whats going to suit your taste and useage :)

I was interested in Teepees high recomendation for ingesting loads of chilli to increase circulation for subzero conditions too :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Navy Rum, as a flavouring for coffee and I believe is the only alcohol to raise body temp due to sugar content.... I've certainly never frozen to death. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The medicinal quality of herbs and spices is little or none to be honest so just take those whose flavour you like.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I take quite a few regularly in my food. Not only to make food taste better but I do believe they can have beneficial effects and lots of them have been well tested. I tend to choose them to increase my ability to battle the cold and help fight off colds and infections.

Garlic I rate highest. Great taste, an immune system booster, makes proteins easier to digest, thins the blood and makes a fantastic topical painkiller. Nothing works better (except for the dentist or doctor) for severe toothache than chewing raw garlic. Roman soldiers used to eat raw garlic before battle-its gives a bit of a boost and may have helped with fighting infection from wounds.

Cayenne pepper-proven to help the body grow new blood capillaries, boosts the metabolism.

Black pepper-helps digest proteins, increases metabolism.

Ginger-anti bacterial, anti viral. Also attracts insects-not so good.

Parsely-another metabolism booster

Turmeric-anti-bacterial. Good for sore throats.

Rosemary-reduces cholesterol levels in fried. An anti-oxidant too-helps keep bread a little fresher if its made with it.

Chocolate/cocoa-another metabolism booster and great for soothing a sore throat.

Cinnamon-plays a role in beneficially regulating blood sugar levels.

Thyme-wards off Trolls. It hasn't worked on this thread though.

There are many more, many more effects. I've just listed the well known ones that I reach for first and I believe work.

There isn't much downside to them-even if they have no beneficial effects, they still taste nice :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Hi Rik, I'll give you most of what you say as herbs have to be treated and prepared generally before being much medical use, though things like willow and cloves do help pretty quickly on targeted pain and ginger really does quickly help stomach probs. So there are a few out there, and the pharm industry would be nowhere without plants.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree GB, but the Drugs industry, test, refine, and produce based on clinical trials and peer driven evidence and not the recommendation of old mother hubard sort of thing.

Back on topic, curry powder is good but you really have to pack it well or it taints your food pack.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I agree GB, but the Drugs industry, test, refine, and produce based on clinical trials and peer driven evidence and not the recommendation of old mother hubard sort of thing.
But the reason they go looking at certain plants in the first place is because of Mrs Hubbard, well a lot of the times. And yes strong spices not only taint your pack but loose there kick unless packaged properly, just remember not to use those old 35mm film canisters.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
But the reason they go looking at certain plants in the first place is because of Mrs Hubbard, well a lot of the times. And yes strong spices not only taint your pack but loose there kick unless packaged properly, just remember not to use those old 35mm film canisters.

So proven, clinically trialled meds or home brew nonsense? Sorry, I'm drifting off topic again but my views on quackery are well know here I would imagine.

I've got some old aluminium screw cap film cans somewhere which I used years ago and they worked well, I must try and find them and your right about 'using or loosing'. I buy packs of spices from time to time from Asian stores, 250g to 1Kg but you need to use them quickly or store really well or potency is lost.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think both have relevance some folk remedies work and some don't same with modern pharms, some work, some don't. I have to take a bundle of meds and have had to change some as they didn't work on me, some had quite bad effects on me. But then so does hot chilli - I get none of this ecstatic chilli joy that most talk about. But an infusion of mint and ginger can settle my tummy. On the film can front they reckon you shouldn't use them as chemicals from the film leech into them and them into your spices. It's why one of the companies stopped making shaker lids for them.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
.....when taking herbs and spices into the wilds to brighten up the taste of your food that one should try to take ones that also have a medicinal quality to them.....What herbs/spices/etc do you take, and what does it do?
(Abridged from post 1, OP)
I'm really interested in this and hope Survivor gets many more interesting replies to spread knowledge. We've got the picture that some people prefer the modern way which is fine, but not what was asked and I'm sorry to see the thread sidelined onto a personal agenda when others find it an interesting and enlightening subject. After all, no-ones going to add to a thread where they feel they're gonna be slammed down. Put another way....

Thyme-wards off Trolls.
hahaha oh lovey, you just kill it :cool:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE