Help me choose a .22 air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Ladies and Gentleman, it is a sad day.

The seal has finally broken on my dads Mk 1 BSA Meteor. It was one cracking rifle and well looked after in it's 36 years!

However it leaves an oppourtunity for me to buy my own .22 air rifle :D

What I'm after is a .22, probably a springer because I think that's all I can afford!

I'll be using it to hunt pidgeon, squirell, rabbit and vermin (BTW I didn't use the BSA for this as it was too low power) . I really liked my mates BSA lightning XL but I think they're a bit pricey brand spankers! I also liked my other mates Air Arms pro sport but that's also quite $$!

I was looking at the SMK range but I've heard that although they advertise some as hunting air rifles, people have been let down by their power and also their build quality, but I don't know! The Gamo rifles are also quite well priced. Do you think it's worth forking out the extra dosh for a well known make or are the less well known brands good now?

Help please :D

Last edited:

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Second hand Weihrauch every time, they last 3 generations with weekly use. HW95 is nice at sub 12 ft/lbs and not as heavy as some. Consider their underlever models too. Weihrauch have what is probably the best trigger (Rekord) of the common brands. I've tried a few of the cheaper branded air rifles and the recoil has been awful. Some are lucky to group at 3" at 25-30 metres. You should group maximum 1" for rabbit-head shooting. Good Luck with your search!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Remember you only get what you pay for. I'll give a second thumbs up to Weihrauch for quality and durability. I'd suggest getting along to an airgun club if you can, that way you can see and probably try all manner of rifles. You are after a .22, but I would strongly suggest you reconsider, I personally get along much better with .177 with its fltter trajectory.

Hope you find something you like.

Dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Remember you only get what you pay for.
Hope you find something you like.

Dave

A third vote for this nugget of advice. I've read appalling reports of SMK quality with very low power output and recoils like a drunken Jack-in-a-box, Gamo are upping their game but are still somewhat behind many other manufacturers. I recon to keep a keen eye on the second hand market as purses tighten - you could well bag a bargain. Be prepared for a long wait though and also be ready to walk away from a deal that is not right.

ATB

Ogri the trog

any of the big UK names make a decent Springer Due to our low power limits etc we have been forced to produce some of the best most reliable and accurate air guns around and one area we lead the field in
i would alos ad HW in the selection

for a good deal a Second hand set up will be value for money BUT if your not sure what your looking at get it from a good Airgun shop or a local gun club etc Some bloke i na Pub Wit ha HW 80 that shoots thru Telephone books has probably knackered it ;)

on the Calibre i prefer 177 for its better trajectory but if your happy with 22 it dosnt really matter

ATB

Duncan

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Cheers guys! How would one got about getting hold of one SH in Essex. The only Gunsmiths I know in Colchester is Radcliffe and I don't remember them having a huge selection!

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Sorry all but last question!

Opinions on the Crosman air rifles? Rang up the local gun smiths and they have a crosman quest for £110 including scope, or a BSA lightning for£195 with zoom scope?

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I re-sprung My rifle just 3 years ago and its fired .c 1000 shots in the first three months just bedding it all in. The power was nice and consistent after the first 500 so I ran with it.

Since then its fired less than 200 shots.

I got it out last weekend and it just did not have the ‘zing’ it used to, Back on the chrony it was showing a drop of over 2 ft/lb…..a lot when you consider the meagre power you start out with…

So the moral of this story is if you buy second hand, you can in no way guarantee the power of the rifle, even if it is a supposed ‘full power’ model.
springs seem to have a habit of fatiguing beyond use, very quickly.

So quickly infract I may even be moved into the Pre-charged camp if the need arises

Toodles.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
could you not just replace the seals on your meteor? if it's just a seal thats broken then it'll be dead cheap to fix. as for a new gun the advice you've been given is spot on go for a second hand weihrauch i've just got a hw90 and its spot on. look on the airgun forums for good deals

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
could you not just replace the seals on your meteor? if it's just a seal thats broken then it'll be dead cheap to fix. as for a new gun the advice you've been given is spot on go for a second hand weihrauch i've just got a hw90 and its spot on. look on the airgun forums for good deals

I could replace the seal and I think I will but it's still only a half power rifle really, bit dangerous for shooting quarry!

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Its a BSA Supersport .22 Ox Main sprnig now.
the original BSA spring went from 12ft/lb down to 6.5 ft/lb over a few years (10ish)
So if you are buying second hand from a gunsmith I'm pretty sure they'd crono it for you.
If you buy from 'oik' down the road you be better off :deadhorse:
I still really like springers for the easy of use (no pumps) and ease of reconditioning (simple to strip and rebuild)
and for acuracy...well they do the job...they hit where they point (it's just you have to make sure they point the right way when the shot leaves the barrel)
Good huntings

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE