Help and opinions wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2012
manchester
Hi,
I have been a member for a little while but haven't posted yet and want some help.
As I can no longer drive due to ill health I am going to have to start using public
transport so was thinking about getting something like this to carry my kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5aecec9622

Has anyone used something like this and if so how good are they in grassy/muddy areas?
Or could you recommend something similar?
Thanks Pete

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
they are ideal :) i used to use one just like that for ( believe it or not ) all my carp fishing stuff years ago, it'll handle just about any terrain that you can comfortably walk over :) great bit of kit, just make sure everything is strapped on tight.

Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm using PT at present as I can't afford to run a car. I have used a shopping trolley (like granny has, not the supermarket thingy) to carry my gear a few times. The idea is good but the shopping trolley isn't really robust enough once you get off the pavement. I've toyed with buying a fishing trolley but haven't got around to it yet. I certainly think that the larger wheels with knobbly inflated tyres would, as Robbi has said, be much better suited for off the beaten track.

A couple of things to consider before you hit the 'BuyIt Now' button.
Will your trolley be easy to manoevre in the confines of a bus or train? If it completely blocks aisles or can only go up and down them sideways, it is going to cause you grief. Many times it's possible to utilise the space allocated for wheelchairs & pushchairs but if one or more users of those gets on the bus, they are going to expect you to give up the space.
Sooner or later you're going to have to lift it and possibly carry it for a while, so don't be tempted to take a load of extra gear because it's so easy to pull about. The obvious case is getting on and off busses & trains, but there are plenty of others. In fact, once you start pulling a trolley about you will notice a lot of hindrances that weren't previously apparent. Extra weight will also become (sometimes painfully) obvious on inclines . You may curse that millstone when you're struggling it up a hill, or worse; a long flight of stairs (Walkden railway station). It's not so much fun when it is pushing you downhill either.

I think it's a good idea so long as you think about it's limitations.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Forget inflatable tyres, you WILL get a puncture, and it will always be at the furthest most point from help, i speak from many years of experience of walking river, lake and canal banks fishing competitions, with more gear than was ever necessary and they always puncture at the most inopportune moment, if you get a fishing trolley stay away from solid plastic wheels as well, as they shatter when it's cold, again, i speak from experience, get a trolley with hard rubber tyres, the Fox Match Trolley is ideal, ive used one for years now and never had a problem with it, not even dragging it through thick cloying mud on tidal rivers like the Arun, if you get a trolley with inflatable tyres go down to your nearest mobility shop and ask them to fill the tyres with whatever it is they use to make them into puncture proof solid tyres or to even change the tyres for solid ones.

Of course the best bet if you can, is to go to your nearest fishing tackle shop and see what's on offer in your price range, fishing trolleys are like anything else, the more you pay, the better the options, my Fox & Boss match trolleys both break down into modular sections, ie both wheels come off, the handle comes off, the support legs come off, all done with big chunky thumb screws meaning transportation and storage of the trolleys themselves is a lot easier.

This is the Fox Trolley for info, not cheap, but worth every penny.

4265.jpg

More info here http://www.nailorsfishing.co.uk/Fox-Match-System-Trolley/4265.htm

This shows how the trolley can be broken down and adjusted for height, width etc

mb5530l.jpg

http://www.foxint.com/spares-products.php?section=11&product=33

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not exactly in line with your original query but ........one point you will need to consider when using public transport: packing your stuff so that no axes or knives etc are on show.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm using PT at present as I can't afford to run a car. I have used a shopping trolley (like granny has, not the supermarket thingy) to carry my gear a few times. The idea is good but the shopping trolley isn't really robust enough once you get off the pavement. I've toyed with buying a fishing trolley but haven't got around to it yet.....

You mean something like one of these? www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pier+fishing+carts

May 16, 2012
manchester
Thanks for the replies,
I thought I had replied earlier but apparently not :)

The Fox trolley seems like a really good idea and the price seems good ( a lot cheaper than a car )

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE