Tarp advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I am not ready to go full tarp camping yet but thought I might dip my toe in the water.

I do like a bit of comfort and thought that a tarp could initially be used to increase the living and cooking space of my reasonably small and light tent, I am thinking of something that could achieve a setup like this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Adv...re_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item3f39ad1a3a

Too many times I have wasted money buying the wrong gear, so am asking advice here, hope you can help.

Compact and lightweight it has to be as I will be carrying it along with my tent.

I have just googled DD tarp (because I have heard it mentioned on here), I cannot afford the ultralight version, would this be a good choice......
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ddtarp_olive_green_3x3

I probably need a pole that packs down small, any suggestions welcome.

I would be happy with second hand or ex army if it fits the bill, maybe someone has a spare one to sell.

Apologies for all the links, I cannot post photo's, is that something the moderators can allow me to do please.

A little edit, I forgot to say that one day I would like to progress to tarp and hammock camping.

Thanks,

rorymax

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've got a DD 3x3m you can have for postage if you like. Its a bit battered and patched up but it still works just fine.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
You won't go wrong with getting the DD 3x3.

As for a pole why not use a walking pole?

Thanks Mesquite,

Just wondered if there was a telescoping or folding pole that went down small for my pack, will have a look at hiking poles, an option I had not considered as I do not use them.

Will check them out goodjob

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Yeah DD make good tarps- Copperhead is a gent for making such a kind offer.

I now use a tarp from Bilmo-p5 from this parish in canvas and it's superb, he will also make you one in an assortment of fabrics if you wish :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hiking poles are very cheap , I got a pair delivered off amazon for les than £10, some unknown brand but obviously from the same place as all the others out there at the lower end of the price range.
The army basha might also be worth a look.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I must let folks know that copper_head posted me the tarp.

Kit also provided some follow up advice on knots, and set up; how good is that ? , nice guy, .

Thanks Kit, hope you enjoyed (maybe later) the beer. Would be nice if one day I could buy you one or two in person, you never know what comes around.

Thanks and appreciated,

rorymax

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
No worries John and thanks for the beer. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods that sounds like a plan :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE