Hello!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
Greetings!

I stumbled on this fine forum searching for survival stuff, bushcraft. I live in Okinawa, Japan with my Japanese wife and our son. I work as a US Department of Defense Civilian for the US Marine Corps.

Here's my bushcraft resume:

-Used to go camping and fishing with my parents often when I was young.
-Was enrolled in the Boyscouts for about 2 years.
-Joined the US Marines at age 20, learned quite a few survival tips there.
-Didn't actually gain an interest in bushcraft until I saw Survivorman while visiting my parents back in 2004--the ember was created. Then got back to Japan a month later and saw another survival-type of TV show on Japanese TV--the tinder ignited!
-December of '04, after doing some internet research, I tried my hand at the bow-and-drill fire. 1 hour of practice per day for 2 weeks straight, I finally produced my first flame. I howled at the moon and greeted my ancestors! I believe doing all the research myself (and not being shown how to make one by a real-life instructor) and creating my own has given me a deeper love for fire-by-friction than would have otherwise been possible. Unfortunately, the wood I used was store-bought. :( To this day, I have been unsuccessful in using local wood here in Okinawa. Lantana is supposed to work great, and I've got a nice twig drying out as we speak.
Lantana
lantana.jpg

I've been unsuccessful with hybiscus, and another bush that grows in my yard. Also have been unsuccessful with another sumac-looking plant that grows locally.

Since my first self-reliant fire, I have also been able to perform the following:
-Cooking with a "keyhole" fire.
-Solar still
-Field water filter
-Magnifying glass fire
-Figure-four deadfall trap
-A few others I'm sure I'm forgetting

Some experiments on my plate:
-Pig spear shaft
-Lean-to shelter
-Fire plough
-In the process of researching the various plants that grow here

I'm always looking for excuses to practice what I've learned. I keep in my car a backpack containing a hand ax, 2 folding knives, colapsable shovel, and How to Survive Anything, Anywhere by Mr. Chris McNab. I also have on me at all times:
-a mini-Maglite and a Leatherman Micra on my keychain
-a Dakota Angler II watch with flashlight, hook sharpener, thermometer, and compass on one of my beltloops
-and a 17-tool Leatherman Wave on my belt

So far, I like what I've seen on this site and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the knowledgeable people here! I will admit though, it will take some getting used to all the Original English!hahahaha

Respectfully,
Bill "Broke"

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Welcome to the forum Broke.

One thing is for sure you will find a wealth of information here for your experiments.

There are a few here (myself included) who will be interested in any success (or not) you have with local woods for fire by friction.

Just use the search facility as many questions you may have, will have been answered in many ways on this site.

Cheers

George

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
A warm welcome to you Broke. Feel free to make yourself at home and any questions you have judt ask as we are quite a friendly bunch here :)

:D
Ed

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome aboard Broke,
Yours must be one of the most well-presented resume's of bushcrafting that I've ever seen.
All the best to you, in your future bushy projects.

Ogri the trog

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
if i'm honest, i'm a little overwhelmed with the wealth of knowledge here! this place is amazing. i haven't replied to many threads because i've been busy with the articles on the site.

i'm already gaining more knowledge about how to keep my wife rolling her eyes at me and keep my coworkers laughing at my interests. go ahead, keep rolling and laughing--and then when you eventually need my firemaking skills, i'll be eating cooked meat, and you'll be eating yours RAW!

thanks for the welcome!

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
welcome Broke. looking from your introduction, it seems you have a lot of enthousiasm to offer. Please enjoy our friendly forum and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

cheers!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Welcome to BCUK Bill.

It's great that first fire by friction moment eh? Big hand for doing it all without instruction too.

Any questions you have just ask away - we're a friendly bunch on here (mostly ;) )

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
Marts said:
Welcome to BCUK Bill.

It's great that first fire by friction moment eh? Big hand for doing it all without instruction too.

Yes! It made me feel like there was nothing I couldn't do!

I was sort of instructed from a distance I guess you could say. I would like to thank my 3 fire-by-friction instructors:
-Les Stroud of Survivorman fame, for the TV show.
-An older Japanese gentleman I've seen on 2 Japanese TV shows doing "his thing" for adding to my interest.
-and Mr. Dave Little at his website (http://www.uq.net.au/~zzdlittl/aussiefirebow.html), who helped me out the most with technique. Mr. Little has a great list of wood he has tried in Australia listed at the bottom of his site.

One of the problems I have here in Okinawa is how difficult it is to find a good length of straight wood. Maybe it's from the frequency of typhoons, I don't know. Fortunately, I found on this website how to make bow drills with replaceable tips! We also have bougainvillea growing here that I believe was imported many many years back. My first replaceable tip is going to be made from this plant. Mr. Little mentions that it is "quick and easy" to make a friction fire with wood from this plant.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Have a look at this thread - some good wood combos, although you may not be able to get any in Okinawa.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=12208&highlight=drill

Also if you type "friction" into the search function you will come up with more threads than you can shake a bowdrill at on the subject. We can go on about it a bit on here!

Also have a look at BCUK member Storm's website:

http://www.stoneageskills.com/home/stoneageskillsarticles.html

and in particular his article on Friction Fire Woods (There may even be something Japanese on there)

http://www.stoneageskills.com/images/Friction_Fire_Woods.doc

:)

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Hi Broke and welcome to BCUK!
Great to read your post and resume. Very interested to see your USMC service, I'm an ex member of your British cousins, Royal Marine Commando, 14 years service.
Anyway, welcome aboard mate, enjoy your time on the website, lots of good info. and folk here. :)

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
SunDog said:
Hi Broke and welcome to BCUK!
Great to read your post and resume. Very interested to see your USMC service, I'm an ex member of your British cousins, Royal Marine Commando, 14 years service.
Anyway, welcome aboard mate, enjoy your time on the website, lots of good info. and folk here. :)
Awesome! 8.5 yrs service for me. We Marines here say, "Once a Marine, always a Marine." The saying doesn't specify which country, so obviously it means all countries. ;) I used to repair cryptographic communications equipment, and later acted as technical control of all comm circuits my unit dealt with (telephone, data, radar, and a few others). Now the tables are turned as I'm now a civilian serving my Marines. I work for their Morale, Welfare, and Recreation program called MCCS (Marine Corps Community Services), in MCCS's information technology department.

Thanks for the welcome, Marine!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE