Hello from deepest darkest Kent ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcrafty1

Aug 10, 2009
Deepest Darkest Kent
Hello everyone,

I thought i would sign up and say hello as i have been browsing in the background for a while now and learning all i can. First off i just wanted to say great site guys, full of superb info and some realy interesting topics and i have only just scratched the surface so big pat on the back to you all for making this site such a wealth of knowledge.

My name is Jim and i live in the wilderness that is Medway, Kent lol ok so not that much of a wilderness.
I am new to bushcraft and learning in leaps and bounds again thanks to this site.
I went to the woods for the first time on my own the other day and had a go at making a debris shelter (i think thats right?) and here are a few pictures for you to scrutinise and feel free to give me your feed back and tips for future attempts.

P8050064.jpg

P8050059.jpg

P8050060-1.jpg

I also noticed this which i think is a king alfreds cake and was going to collect some to start my fire pack but before i go handling fungus that i dont know i thought i would get your views as to if it is or not ?

P8050055.jpg

P8050056.jpg

I would love to start getting out alot more and i am currently looking through the reviews etc about kit to get me going.
I would also like to get out with other members in my area as unfortunatly none of my friends seem to like the idea of any of this so if there are any members around the kent area that wouldnt mind me coming along to a meet or a night out etc then please let me know.

Anyway i have waffled on long enough now so i hope to contribute what i can and get stuck into the camaraderie of the forum.
Ta for now.
Jim..

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
The debris on your excellent shelter coud be thicker if you want it to repel real rain - about as thick as from fingertip to elbow as a rough guide.:)
Yes those are King Alfreds Cakes and are great fire starting aids.:)
Have fun !

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Welcome to the forum Jim. :)

Looks like you're off to a good start already and yes those are crampballs/king alfreds cakes so a nice bit of foraging there :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE