headtorch recomendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
After a dozen threads asking essentially a variation on the exact same question

Which head torch?

What head torch??

headtorchs wots a good one

Which headlamp would you recommend?

Can anyone suggest a head torch for 30/40 quid?

Head Torch-Best for the Money

Best Head Torch

The Best Head Torch

WANTED. Head Torch.

Which Headlight

Head Lights

Head torches

plus many other threads about specific brands of headlights.....

....did we really need another thread?

Perhaps not but over the years practically everything has been covered. If folks stopped asking the same questions the forum would die. Be honest, how many original threads are there? You always seem negative BTW

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's the noise of the water at Niagra, it drives 'em mad you know and the fact that he cant canoe down it. :) Mad I say.

Always? Really? If I’m grumpy it’s often because people don’t or won’t grasp the concept of the search button. Or think that they can ignore the fact that people have already gone to the trouble to post the information they’re after, decide that having to spend some time looking for said information is too much trouble for them, and decide that everyone else should take time to write out that information just for them all over again.

No, forums thrive when people post worthwhile content. Reviews, photos they’ve taken, tutorials, info on where to get things, passing along information about courses, etc. The same questions being asked again and again and again is an aspect of forums I wish would die. Well that and “I want features, top notch quality, durability, comfort, looks - but I want it as cheap as possible” posts.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Always? Really? If I’m grumpy it’s often because people don’t or won’t grasp the concept of the search button. Or think that they can ignore the fact that people have already gone to the trouble to post the information they’re after, decide that having to spend some time looking for said information is too much trouble for them, and decide that everyone else should take time to write out that information just for them all over again.

No, forums thrive when people post worthwhile content. Reviews, photos they’ve taken, tutorials, info on where to get things, passing along information about courses, etc. The same questions being asked again and again and again is an aspect of forums I wish would die. Well that and “I want features, top notch quality, durability, comfort, looks - but I want it as cheap as possible” posts.

well you know every request has a different set of perameters though. A head torch offers many different aspects be it weight, brightness, battery form factor, tint of the LED, does it offer red filter, does it offer SOS facility, will it work at -20 etc etc. All the stuff you link to is indeed related but perhaps not specific enough for WULF to make a choice. I always look at how real life mirrors forum life and i know i will have asked the same questions more than once on occasions. There is also sometimes the fact that too much information can cause overload.

My actual pet hate on the forums is posts that say use the search facility, particularly when its aimed at new members although granted that isnt the case here.

My prefered method for being helpful is to say i use x y & z for these reasons but you may find useful reading in these links. I think that a big part of a forum community is the willingness to give input on things you have experience in and i personally dont care if i have to provide the same answer a few times.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

It does seem to annoy you doesn't it, between this one and the folding saw one (repeat). Some folks who come here are not very computer literate, you and I are the same age and I left school never touching a computer so we have to educate ourselves and others as to how to use these tools. How about a thread teaching folk about forum usage that someone could make a sticky and then we'd all be shiney. Plus as Paul said, what hasn't been said before here and in life. Discussion brings forth new ideas, remember its said that there are only seven stories to be told. It's all a variation. One thing with the rise in forums is the lack of social niceties, people feel removed from having empathy with others and because it's instant don't take time to find out about folk and weather there's reason they ask certain questions and in certain ways. I've noticed a lot of dismissive behaviour from folk on forums who I know to be good folk. It's just that there's this sense of being removed.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Another helpful comment form another person that adds so much to a fourm with the amount of knowelge that they have past on over so many years, can you please be more objective and helpful.

Information is helpful and uptoday opoinons are what help peole decide on kit and new ways of doing things... old information is good, even though it may be dusty

Elen Sentier

I'll go against the grain ans say a Petzl Myo XP. Amazing light, AAs, comfortable, brilliant life. Mine was borrowed by a buddy - he did the 100km death march, twice, on a single set of batteries.

I use mine around the small holding all the time - the ability to diffuse or focus the light and the comfort sells it to me. I walk miles wearing it. Things a good light needs

AA (much more amp hours than AAA)
Ability to have diffuse area light or focussed task light
Ability to change angle so light is where you need it
Broad strap for comfort.

That was comforting! I've just bought meself a Petzl and was worrying in case I'd got it wrong :D

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

Don't suppose you have links on which knife is best for a new bush rafter do you??

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I had the "Sea to Summit" 1 Watt light (pretty bulky). Battery life wasn't great in the cold and to be honest when it did work I think it actually sucked light in from the surroundings like a head-worn black-hole.

I went for the LED Lenser H7. It's AAA though but nice and bright when you want it to be but dimmable.

It gets its first outing this weekend!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I will be 50 in a couple of weeks, and i have only become reasonably computer savvyish! Since joining this forum, i have probably asked questions that make people groan, but i never get tired of a newbie or inexperienced member asking, you do have a choice, as we all, of not opening or looking at the threads that you are not interested in.

I bite my tongue a lot of the time, with some of the things posted on here, partly so as i don't get banned! Because those who know me, know i can be a little, well lets say, vocal.

Also if i could type like i talk, boy i would be in trouble.

Suffice to say, keep on asking the questions, as not everyone has the attitude of MR BIG TYPE!!

Ivan...

By the way i have got a petzl.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cant go wrong with a petzl Elen. I own 3 different ones and all are superb. I have 3 zebralights too. Its an addiction you know :D

I got my self a Petzl Tika plus2 thinking I will upgrade from my usual cheapo energizer jobbies.
Not that impressed to be honest mate. Dont like the throw and not keen on the fact you are not supposed to leave batteries in them or they slowly drain :(
The red light isn't powerful enough to do awt with which was one of my main reasons for buying it, wasne cheap either.

Like to the look of the Zebra jobbies although a lot more expensive.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I must admit I keep thinking about a petzl head torch , but keep getting stoped by the choice , I use the energiser ones at the mo , had petzl ones years ago, and just lost them/had the knicked.. so did not bother replacing them but it now looks a whole new ball game, so all comments are great to read, carry on guys... :)

Elen Sentier

Cant go wrong with a petzl Elen. I own 3 different ones and all are superb. I have 3 zebralights too. Its an addiction you know :D

I'm seeing the psychaitrist regularly about the various BCUK addictions I've developed in the last few months ... so far he has nothing to help me get over them ... thank the gods :D

I got my self a Petzl Tika plus2 thinking I will upgrade from my usual cheapo energizer jobbies.
Not that impressed to be honest mate. Dont like the throw and not keen on the fact you are not supposed to leave batteries in them or they slowly drain :(
The red light isn't powerful enough to do awt with which was one of my main reasons for buying it, wasne cheap either.

Like to the look of the Zebra jobbies although a lot more expensive.

Now that wasn't kind :(:p. Ah well, I've got the darn thing now and hope it does what I need ... or it may end up as swapsies!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'm seeing the psychaitrist regularly about the various BCUK addictions I've developed in the last few months ... so far he has nothing to help me get over them ... thank the gods :D

Now that wasn't kind :(:p. Ah well, I've got the darn thing now and hope it does what I need ... or it may end up as swapsies!

Sorry :(
I am being very fussy just expected a bit more.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
In the past I've had many Petzl headlamps from the old ZOOM to the E-Light with tikka, tactikka, zipka etc etc. I've had the Silva L4 and the princeton tec FUEL. However for pure functionality and usefulness I have only one answer.... ALPKIT GAMMA all the way... I love this lamp and if it broke (not done yet and it gets some abuse) I'd have no hesitation buying another.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE