Hazelnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Seems like a waste of perfectly good hazelnuts to me. :) You could try making your own nutella type spread though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I drink nut milk. I have done so for over forty years. I can't digest cow's milk.
So, nuts, I've tried them all. Hazelnuts are not the best for milk. Almonds are.
But, and it's a big but. Nut milk is mostly the water that we add to the ground nuts, it's not 'milk'. it's a kind of infusion and the dregs are really still rich in nutrients. You don't get all the goodness out into the 'milk'. If you clarify that milk to boil it down, you're taking out even more of the nutrient/sugars.....not that there's a lot of that free sugar stuff anyway.
You don't get concentrated nut for a reason.
You can get oil though, with a lot of work....and a heck of a lot of waste.

Hazelnuts are a perfect food just as is. Grind them down into meal, bake them into something, if you don't want to eat them as 'nuts'.

Mesolithic folks learned that if you roast the nuts in their shells, they'll not sprout, they won't go bad, they'll last for years if kept dry. Perfect food really :)

M

Reactions: SaraR

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I can't digest cow's milk.
So your Yamnaya heritage is slightly deficient. ;) (For some unknown reason Finnish males have apparently one of the highest percentage of Yamna genes left.)

Here most adults lacking in rennine drink "milk" made from oats nowadays, you could try that if available in UK. It is not bad and actually difficult to tell from the processed cows milk we mostly get, the real thing (with much higher fat content tastes different).

Nuts are one of the better natural foods available, why the need to process it? I can understand a treatment for long preservation but otherwise why bother?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have a very long provenance in these isles :) My Grandmother was the same way as me, as were a couple of her sisters. There are a lot of us in Scotland/UK. Estimates put it as much as one in ten.

I find almond milk is much nicer than oat milk, but them almond milk has been in use here since at least medieval times. Cows went dry in Winter, so almond milk filled that role for the wealthy who could afford them.
It is very easy to make, and since I bake with the left over nuts, there's no waste.

I'm not very fond of oat milk. I eat a lot of oats one way and another, but not as milk.

I agree that nuts are really one of the best foods :)
Roasting hazelnuts really does add to the taste though. Most nuts get a flavour boost from roasting them first.
A nutritionist I know tells me that roasting the nuts actually makes them more nutritious to humans because the roasting helps us break them down more efficiently, allowing us to absorb more from them. The whole cooking food thing again. The Cooking Ape.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
They make vegan caramel from condensing coconut milk then further boiling that ,coconuts are nuts so I can see how it could work
Yeah, I know there are plenty of recipes for making condensed "milk" from vegan alternatives, and I'm sure they'd reduce down to some sort of caramel/toffee depending on what sugar/fats you added, so if you've got hazel nit milk by all means try it, but I still think just munching the hazel nuts as they come are a better use of them and tastier too :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sorry about my flippant reply, earlier. lack of a comma between , toffee, and thoughts, and no question mark, had me imagining "toffee thoughts" rather than..... toffee, thoughts?
Yes, condensed milk can make toffee, but there is a lot of sugars in it, which is what makes the toffee, rather than the milk itself.
Caramel is melted sugar . You would have to add some sugar to it to be successful.
Try making fudge instead. It's much easier, and probably more successful with nut milk... and very tasty!

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE