Have you Tried Pitrok?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Has anyone tried this?

http://www.pitrok.co.uk/

Personally I have been using it for a number of years, and can't praise it enough. All natural, no chemicals, no smell. I have been doing an experiment as to how long I can get a stick to last, and it is well over a year, not a bad investment for about a fiver a pop.

Does anyone use this?

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I first came across these around 2000 and have been using it ever since with great effect, 3 years is my record it was still going strong until I dropped it and it smashed to pieces.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It full of chemicals (just as everything is). And not all natural:

Aqua, Ammonium Alum, Aloe Barbadensis, Citrus grandis (grapefruit seed extract), Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1, 3-diol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium benzoate, Limonene

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
It full of chemicals (just as everything is). And not all natural:

Aqua, Ammonium Alum, Aloe Barbadensis, Citrus grandis (grapefruit seed extract), Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1, 3-diol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium benzoate, Limonene

My bad, I was referring to the original crystal - http://www.pitrok.co.uk/product/pitrok-crystal-natural-deodorant-stick/ Not the secondary products they produce.

I have been using since about 2006ish, and partly removes the need for washing as frequently.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Been using crystal type de-odorants for about 15 years, possibly longer.

I worked within the toiletries industry for a while and there is good reason why I wouldn't want to have their products on my skin!

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The original crystal is of course entirely chemical - to be precise ammonium aluminium sulfate (NH[SUB]4[/SUB])Al(SO[SUB]4[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB]

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It's the only under arm product that doesn't cause me a problem with repeated use.
All other sprays and roll ons seem to cause itching within a week or so of daily use.
It was a lady physio with a similar list of allergies to myself who put me on to it.

As for how long it lasts, I've never seen one finished yet, as above dropped & broken.
Current one is over a year old so far.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Aluminium Salts have been linked to Breast Cancer.

There is something wholly unnatural about products designed to stop you sweating in places God designed to sweat.

Removing the odour or masking it must be the better choice, surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
The original crystal is of course entirely chemical - to be precise ammonium aluminium sulfate (NH[SUB]4[/SUB])Al(SO[SUB]4[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB]

Yes, quite. I must remind myself before posting that you are not like the normal uninformed specimens I spend most of my working life with, and therefore I can use the correct terms for things :)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Aluminium Salts have been linked to Breast Cancer.

There is something wholly unnatural about products designed to stop you sweating in places God designed to sweat.

Removing the odour or masking it must be the better choice, surely?

Re your second Link, yep it oooks like "Insufficient testing" has't proven anything conclusive. It'll mean a massive change in the market if does.

Re your masking odor against stopping sweating:-

If I can avoid any product at all, then I will, this is most days.

I have the luxury of controlling two fans, the radiator beside me and work in a all bar 1 male office. Hence I can regulate temp so it isn't an issue.

However..

If I have to spend a few days in a customers or suppliers "furnace" where the trimmest of ladies, wearing tissue paper blouses & tiny skirts rule the thermostat then standing with a waterfall running under each arm & looking like a contestant for a Bearded Mrs Kazakhstan wet t-shirt competition is not an acceptable option either.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im in a similar position to you Vandeen, i cant use any deoderant/anti persperant, i get a rash under my arms and extreme itching as soon as i do, and ive tried alot of products including the skin sensetive ones, my routine now is wash morn/noon and night under pits/when possible and a body spray on torso.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Im in a similar position to you Vandeen, i cant use any deoderant/anti persperant, i get a rash under my arms and extreme itching as soon as i do, and ive tried alot of products including the skin sensetive ones, my routine now is wash morn/noon and night under pits/when possible and a body spray on torso.

Have you tried these kinds of products?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See when you smash one; save the bits and when you next try dyeing a blanket dissolve the alum in hot (very, very hot) water and add that to the dye liquor. It's a very good mordant :)

Basically it's a big chunk of natural styptic pencil.
Styptic pencils are made from anhydrous aluminium sulphate, or sometimes potassium aluminium sulphate, which is otherwise known as potash.
They are very, very astringent. That's why they stop bleeding and why they stop sweating, etc.,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum
for other uses.

Useful stuff, but I don't like it on my skin. It leaves my hands sore when I use it when dyeing if I don't wear rubber gloves.

atb,
M

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I remember my grandad getting me a styptic pencil along with my first shaving brush and soap.

I bet it's still in a draw somewhere hardly used, single bladed plastic disposable safety razors saved me lots of scars and Knicks compared to the old steel one he proposed I used.

The pitrock does caution against using on broken skin though, whereas the styptic pencil worked by getting it into the cut?
I remember it didn't half sting!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Coldfeet which products are you asking me have i tried?? the ones i mentioned or the ones like pitrok?? i would'nt use that anyway now after reading whats in it ive read reports that Aluminium based products are not particularly good for under your arms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE