Cutting and tidying pampas grass?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

We’ve been trying to catch up with our gardening following the extremely wet winter and spring. One of the jobs I’m facing is to tidy and trim right back our large clump of pampas grass in the back garden. The plant has totally engulfed the section of garden where it is placed.

In the past I have tried several garden tools, including a petrol powered strimmer, brush cutter and an old chain saw. The chain saw worked for dividing the plant, but all of these are pretty useless against the leaves and what is left of the flower stems. I’m now thinking that I need some kind of bladed implement to cut the plant right back to a neat stump. Then I can decide whether to divide the plant - to make it smaller overall - before it starts growing again.

Do you have any recommendations? I would look to borrow a bladed implement from neighbours or friends as this only needs doing once every five or so years. Let me know what you think is best in this case. :)

Cheers, Bob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry, cross posted with Mesquite :)

Machete or billhook.
I have a Martindale machete and it made short work of a neighbour's clump a few years ago.
That stuff is tough though, I had to resharpen four or five times to get through it all.
Watch your hands too, I ended up with festering scratches and a bit of the stem slivered under my skin next to my ring finger. Not fun.

Burns really well though :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As above, burn it, chap over the road from me had a huge Pampas in the front garden, it didn't last long once it had been ravaged by fire and poisoned with the petrol he used to get it going, was a fun afternoon watching him do it though :campfire::campfire::campfire:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Percy Thrower, a local TV gardening presenter about 50 years ago had an Oops moment on live TV burning pampas grass. He lost his nerve. He wouldn’t have killed it if he’d let it burn.

Do I remember an ?American? You tube presenter setting fire to a different fuel with a ferro rod each week of the year - something like that. His pampas demo was spectacular as I remember it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you intend to keep the grass growing then burning whilst the plant base is wet would seem wise, and also take care of the fire from spreading.

I would have thought a decent hedge trimmer would allow you to cut back much of the old grass blades and the old flower stems.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think the OP wants to control it rather than kill it.

Burn it down.
Dig it out.
Chop it up.
Chuck some out.
Plant some back in.

Good preposition is the key to horticulture. :lmao:

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
A good hedgcutter will trim the leaves back or if you want to cut it really close then a chainsaw becomes the better tool but it will blunt the chain pretty easily once you get into the humus. Burning it is technically fine but it doesn't look pretty.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Thanks all. I think we’re going to skip any burning as there are crops in the fields around us and a couple of thatched cottages further down in the village. I could stand over the fire with a hose but I wouldn’t want it embering along for hours on end, only to break into flames again when my back is turned.

The leaves have very sharp edges and will easily cut into stray fingers so gloves are a must. They are also extremely tough, so much so that our hedge cutter doesn’t really cut them and a fast strimmer just ends up a tangled mess. We have an old small chainsaw bar and chain so that will come into play to divide up the plant later, but I think I’ll be looking to borrow a bill hook, sickle or similar. I just wanted to be sure I hadn’t missed out on any other tricks !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE