Has the world gone mad!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Meh... I people want to spend absurd amounts of money on stuff, I don't see the problem. Well, apart from the fact that there are people in this world who earn more in an afternoon than I could in a year, or even ten years.

By the time you're a multi-millionaire, £450 is pocket change. And even multi-millionaires aren't really rich by today's standards.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh, and just to put it further into perspective, £450 will buy you a decent box of vintage Cuban cigars or a case of half-decent Bordeaux. It won't buy you a single high-end bottle of wine.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The world hasn't gone mad... there have always been expensive products and inexpensive products, wealthy people and not so wealthy people.

It's a damn nice knife that's a pain to get hold of at a high price... I don't see anything mad or unusual about that.

I have worked very hard to build my career and have one of these knives, I got it for the bargain price of £200 and I have since had it re-handled because I fancied something specific. If I didn't have one and wanted one without the wait... £450 - sure why not.

Because I work hard and have available cash, that doesn't make me mad. The talking to myself, twitching and recurring waking nightmares about midgets stealing my leg hair make me mad. Until the men in white coats come to get me, I'll continue to spend the money I earn on the things I want at prices I can live with.

As an aside, many people smoke 20 a day... spending over £1500 on bad health a year (As I did until a few years ago) is mad... you don't even get to keep the smoke, the Woodlore knife, love it or hate it, will last a life time of hard use if properly maintained. Context is everything.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Hehehe - I'm still happy to use my Frost's Mora for most tasks and for less than a tenner I won't be hanging myself from the nearest tree if it breaks. I also have a Bushman.tz which is great and probably just as good in real terms as the Alan Wood, but didn't cost me £450. Then again many people will pay for their brands and while it's a quality item, it's the "brand" name people are really buying into.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
possibly, but then when was it sane?

its worth pointing out that there is a RM/wilkie bushie on the bay of evil for the best part of 3-400 sovs, now to me that is lunacy,

but if people are willing to fork out that much cash that's their decision.

sc

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Anyone who drives slower than us is an ar*ehole and anyone that drives faster is a maniac.

Money is the same... spend too much and you're unhinged, spend too little and you're tight.

Brand or no brand it is a bloody good knife, even if many owners don't let theirs taste wood.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Anyone who drives slower than us is an ar*ehole and anyone that drives faster is a maniac.

Money is the same... spend too much and you're unhinged, spend too little and you're tight.

Brand or no brand it is a bloody good knife, even if many owners don't let theirs taste wood.

LOL! You're clearly very happy with yours, I'm very glad for you and after all I'm the last person that should judge anyone else for their choices, spending or speeding for that matter ;-)

However, I am touched with a tinge of sadness at the thought of those owners who never let such a fine piece of craftsmanship roam wild and unfettered.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Actually, I have a soft spot for collectors in this world... knives included... if every single one was used, dinked and battered like mine, once the maker finally popps his cloggs that's it all that's left are used and re-sharpened until they are tooth picks... I like that things get preserved by someone.

It does nark me when people claim to be bushcrafters when they don't actually do anything though... but that's a whole other rant :rolleyes: :D

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I think Alan Wood is unable to make knives anymore because of illness? I heard this ages ago, but it might explain why there more expensive than usual.

From what I understand making a knife by hand is highly labour intensive but I have to say you'd be a sucker to pay a price like that. You could get a decent airgun set up for that price.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Alan is still making knives, I have one on order. he is also doing a little canoeing so can't be in bad shape ;) He also sold a few on BB in the last week or so.

I have no problem with a knife costing £450 but I would point out the seller is trying to cash in on the Ray Mears connection by saying the knife is a Woodlore. it is not and he will get himself in a bit of bother if Woodlore spot the advert.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It is a bit daft really, The guy is miss selling to get the price up as John said, but Alan Wood will sell you a brand new stainless damascus, which he rates well over the woodlore for £350.

As for spending a lot on what you want, well, look at my new one.

One of my mottos is - there is no such thing as cheap, someone something or somewhere will always pay for it. Buy the best you can afford, you'll not regret it.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
That was my point, if you want an Alan Wood "Woodlore", and can afford one, then it,s cheaper to get one from the man himself. I have no problem with people spending as much money on something they want to, but at the same time, these people are pushing up the price beyond what "the average Joe" could afford. And indeed suckering in the not so informed with a bit of name dropping.
I wasn't trying to stir up controversy over status, just genuinley shocked at what is a fairly run of the mill looking knife, i have seen much better from people on this forum, thats all.

Mark

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They are paying to bypass the waiting list. There must be people buying them from Alan to flog straight on to eBay, making a shed load of money in the process. I have stated my feelings on this before, it is just plain greed in my opinion. They use the money they make to buy more knives form Alan thus pushing the waiting list even higher. They are making a killing out of his good name and there are people out there willing to pay the money so they can continue doing this. This means that the guy who wants a keeper ahnd user, just the one knife, has to wait for ages because of these people taking advantage. I'd love it if Alan would state that you could get one knife at a time and your name would sit at the very bottom of the list if you have any more than one, but I fear that it would spoil it for the collectors of his knives, which there are quite a few of. The only way to stop it is not buy the ebay knives. I'd love it if that happened and one went for 30 quid or something!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As soon as theres a restricted suppy on a desirable item, people act as a middle man and make money on it.

Thats life, get over it.

D

Deleted dude 7861

Yikes that is a high price, so glad I prefer puukko's but it's all down to people's choice and everybody has different taste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE