Has Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall gone too far?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I was watching a cook on the wild side the other day and Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall was eating garden snails! He met up with a bloke who on a regular basis, eats them! They were collected, starved off for a couple of days to get rid of the faeces and bunged straight into boiling water!

30 mins ago he was eating woodlouse fritters on the tv!

I can't help but think hes running out of material...

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Our large garden snail, Helix aspersa , is the one widely raised and eaten by many people so there's nothing wrong with eating the ones you find in the garden. Just make sure they've not eaten anything dodgy like slug pellets, purge them for a few days on something like lettuce to clear their insides out and then cook. Being a keen gardener I've tried getting my own back and eating the snails a few times but I've yet to find a decent method of making them palatable!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
IIRC the woodlice were in the second series of ACOTWS, the one where he's on the little narrow boat. As has been said ACOTWS was a long time ago. I think the accompanying book first published in 1997, so it's certainly more than 10 years ago. The woodlice eating was triggered by a pamphlet called "Why not eat insects".
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artinsects1.html

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
IIRC the woodlice were in the second series of ACOTWS, the one where he's on the little narrow boat. As has been said ACOTWS was a long time ago. I think the accompanying book first published in 1997, so it's certainly more than 10 years ago. The woodlice eating was triggered by a pamphlet called "Why not eat insects".
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artinsects1.html

I've eaten eath worms and toredo worms n thats about it. I can't see alot wrong with eating certain types of insects, but the prospect of eating something that is a detritavor puts me off.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
IIRC he also eat elvers (young eels) during that series, which is in for a bit of a dig these days as eels are quite scarce in many of our rivers and waterways. Gordon Ramsey got a slating in the press when he did the same in 'The F word' in June.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I take me hat off to you survival lot, but thats just wrong :eek:

Yunno earth worms...(yeah sorry about the spelling on my last post) fried up taste like bacon rind. I can't say I'm much of a survivalist, bushcrafter would be a better word.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
I'm just reading "Hugh Fearlessly Eats It All", which is a collection of Hugh's articles from when he first started as a writer and he mentions the Woodlice in past tense in an article from September 1998 so it's certainly a good while back.

He says they taste a bit like shrimp (unsurprisingly as they are a close relative). The biggest problem is the ratio of shell to meat.

btw, it's an interesting read if anybody gets a chance as it shows how some things have changed over the past 10+ years and how some things haven't progressed at all.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Ya know what, i draw the line at snails and slugs!

I know theres always that chance if fate played its bad card and i really needed them to live, but i'd have to grow some serious balls to eat them!!! I can think of nothing worse to put in my mouth (this is a family forum!)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Snails are OK if cooked a certain way. Boiling wouldn't be my preferred method. I have had them roasted in garlic butter and they were fine. I wasn't even queasy about eating them. If it wasn't for the fact that my girl loves snails, I'd be collecting the massive ones from my garden to eat.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Being a keen gardener I've tried getting my own back and eating the snails a few times but I've yet to find a decent method of making them palatable!

There are a few recipes using "escargots" on this page :D :D Google translate would help with the translation! You must have a good tasty sauce with snails, otherwise they taste a bit like "nose pickings" :lmao: see: "beurre d'escargot" recipe.

In fact some of those sound quite good.....hey, i can see all the snails running away from the garden...:eek:

I thought I'd translate this omelette with snail recipe:

32 snails, peeled
100 gr butter sauce
10 eggs, salt and pepper

Progression:
1) Fry the snails and add butter sauce, put the snails on a plate.
2) Beat your eggs with a fork and add pepper and the sauteed (fried) snails
3) Make your omelet as usual, eitler flat or rolled and serve with a rocket salad, for example.

Snails and eggs, simple but delicious!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I think I'd eat them if I was very drunk, thats about it...I keep imagining this rubbery texture with a burst of goo. Besides, don't snails carry TB?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I think I'd eat them if I was very drunk, thats about it...I keep imagining this rubbery texture with a burst of goo. Besides, don't snails carry TB?

Not certain, but I think this is something aquatic snail can carry, rather than land snails.
At the end of the day, everything is a health risk, including life (being a terminal disease:D )

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Gardens snails and slugs can be eaten.

You can cook British garden snails the way the French cook escargot (essentially the same thing). Baked in butter, garlic and parsley is a common method.

The advantage of eating snails over slugs is the the skin is more tender and they don't look as disgusting.

Before eating them it is essential to either fast them for at least three days or feed them something that is edible by humans. If you don't you risk getting sick because their intestines may well contain poisons.

I don't really eat them myself but I did when I lived in France where it is common and they taste pretty good. Apparently it used to be popular to eat them all over Europe in times gone by.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive considered eating snails, Ill get round to collecting them eventually.

Can you feed them on something good like chives or parsley to make them taste nice?

Its an experiment waiting to happen....

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Ive considered eating snails, Ill get round to collecting them eventually.

Can you feed them on something good like chives or parsley to make them taste nice?

Its an experiment waiting to happen....

Yes. As long as it's something they'll eat and you can eat. They tend to leave my chives alone but they love a new parsley plant just as it's starting to grow. The evil creatures can devour the entire plant in one evening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE