Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall on Bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
I noticed Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall had a programme on bread, so I thought I'd watch it. I don't actually own a telly and rarely watch anything, but I'm prepared to make an exception now and then. :)

Anyway, I missed the first 20 minutes but saw the rest and thought it good viewing.

H. F-W is definitely too heavy on the carbohydrates which is, despite some fashionable superstition, an unhealthy thing—certainly if these are refined carbohydrates. But I wouldn't go as far as Atkins or the "Paleo Diet" people and cut this stuff out entirely—except maybe for short-term weight-loss purposes (or for particular conditions). So I think a programme on traditional bread-making techniques is no bad thing.

Hugh did show to build a version of a clay oven and also how to make sourdough bread, so this was a bit more than the average cookery programme. He doesn't under-rate the viewers, and expects that his audience might be prepared to take the time and trouble that good food preparation takes, if they're only shown how. I think that's very refreshing.

I think he forgot to say that the water used for sourdough cultures should be filtered water; otherwise, you risk killing the culture with the excess chlorine that can be in tap water. He also said that sourdough bread was about raising dough with wild yeasts, and that is only partially correct. Most of the fermentation is a lactic ferment (as with sauerkraut, yoghurt, and similar foodstuffs) rather than alcoholic ferment (i.e., by yeast). This is quite important, because it's that very long lactic-ferment that makes bread more digestible. This is because cereal grains, such as wheat, contain "antinutrients" that serve the biological role of protecting the seeds (which is what the grains are) and the lactic ferment neutralizes those:

"... the traditional sourdough process reliably neutralizes the anti-nutrients in the cereal grains as the flour is kept moist and acidic for many hours (or days). Ongoing research in cereal microbiology is investigating some preliminary evidence that the traditional sourdough method may also sever the bonds of the "toxic" peptides in wheat gluten responsible for the celiac reaction and neutralize them as well.8 In short, certain lactobacilli in a sourdough culture acting on wheat flour for a 24-hour period achieved nearly complete digestion of the peptides."

http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-diseases/digestive-disorders/621-against-the-grain

There seems no doubt that sourdough bread is the most digestible and nutritious bread, long-fermented bread (as with craft-made breads from traditional bakers in places like France) is next best. Worst of all is the factory bread made by the "push it in shove it out fast, count the money and don't worry about the health of the buyer" Chorleywood process by which the modern tasteless toxic pap you get in the supermarket is made.

Anyway, if anyone wants to get hold of an existing sourdough culture, I did find a place online awhile back, although I haven't tried their cultures myself yet:

http://www.wildyeastbakery.co.uk/07-cultures.htm

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I'm a fan of Hugh ever since I first came across "A Cook On The Wild Side", which was solely responsble for getting me into foraging and camp cooking.

Haven;t caught the bread programme yet but will catch up with it soon - sounds like it was a goodun!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think Hugh is partly to blame for my interest in bushcraft albeit indirectly. I really enjoyed his River Cottage show when I was younger.

I just watched the bread episode - very nice.

The pizza oven is brilliant. - is there a fire underneath or just at the back of the oven??

Andy

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I make sourdough with tap water (the chlorinated stuff - I wish I was back on the farm with real water but hey). I'm in no way an expert at making sourdough but it seems to work for me.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used to really like early HFW (cook on the wild side, RC Series 1). Then he went and joined the do gooder food police ...could cope with the anti battery farming thing as its important, but the anti takeaway, you have to kill your own burger stuff leaves me cold. Can't stand people who feel the desire to impose their choices on me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm with Red on this guy, he (HFW) started well but really is a bit of a knob these days. Some of his food looks fantastic but some,,,,,turn off the camera's and ask for a true opinion. Did he not get peed off when most could not tell the difference between an organic Turkey and a Tesco frozen one a few years ago?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE