Hangi/Pit oven question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick senior

Jul 25, 2006
Leicestershire
I've got a chance of doing a hangi on a scout camp and I'm in need of alittle advice.
So my idea was pork joint, enough for around 20 folks but what I need to know is how big a pit and how long to cook?
Now, according to various books I have they suggest the pit should be 5x the size of the meat. The meat in the middle and surrounded by veg. Would you recommend the meat/veg being wrapped in foil? (would use leaves but there isn't any good ones nearby).
As for cooking time, one book states that a hangi will cook most things in about 1.5 hours, doesn't seem long enough to me for such a large joint of meat. Maybe better to follow cooking times on the label.
I'm not a total novice at this,I've done a few one man pits before so I've got the general idea. Just wanted advice on doing something abit bigger.

Mick.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This hangi took about 4hrs to cook the suckling pig. I hope this gives you a general idea.
As for the veg, if you can get yourself some muslin bags they will do nicely.

IMG_09481.jpg

pig_hangi1-1.jpg

hangi_before_earth1-1.jpg

IMG_09511.jpg

I haven't got a photo of it sealed with mud!

steve_pig.jpg

The meat literally fell off the bones!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE