Hand Drill Positions and Hearth Materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calypso

Jun 24, 2005
Northumberland
I've been hand drilling standing up with the hearth on a raised step (about knee height) and one foot on the hearth. While this has been successful I find it difficult when using shortish drills (ie about the length from the hearth to the knee). I find my bent leg just gets in the way. I've had the same problem when kneeling up on one knee with my other foot on the hearth. Today I got a coal sitting in an open crossed leg position with the side of one foot stabalising the hearth. I've only just recently been successful (starting with one of Rich59's excellent kits) and wonder what body position others prefer.

I've also had advice that the softer the hearth board the wider the drill may need to be. Is there a list of our woods and where they fit on the soft-hard continuum?

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
haven't been successful yet, but i find the most comfortable is cross-legged like you describe, if you can keep a straight back it's fine, though downward pressure is trickier perhaps.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I know rich59 prefers the raised-platform position (or at least he did last time I spoke to him) and I tend to use this position when I need more downward force, or if the ground is a boggy marsh :rolleyes:

However, if I can't use a step for any reason, then I either adopt the traditional 'bowdrill' position, or if I don't need as much downward pressure I sit with my right leg straight out in front of me, with the sole of my left foot flat against the inside of my right leg just above the knee. I then put the hearth under the left foot, sticking out away from the right leg, so that the spindle sits roughly in the curve between left lef and top of left foot (hope that makes sense to folk :confused: ).

While this position doesn't give you much in the way of downward pressure, it doesn't cause problems with legs getting the the way, and is very comfy if you're in for a long drilling...

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Yep, still prefer the raised platform.

If I am drilling with a shorter spindle or using the full length of a longer one I might use a longer hearth board to get more gap between the leg and the drill. Also I can turn out my leg a little (until arthritis sets in).

I have tried other positions and find the raised platform gives me the best leaverage to get good weight through the drill. If my technique relied more on speed than it does then downward pressure would be less important.

Calypso

Jun 24, 2005
Northumberland
Calypso said:
I've also had advice that the softer the hearth board the wider the drill may need to be. Is there a list of our woods and where they fit on the soft-hard continuum?

Can anyone throw any light on this bit?
Thanks.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'm not sure I can see a reason for that suggestion - as a general rule, I find that all my spindles are around 0.75-1cm in diameter more or less - much thicker than that and your effort is less concentrated across a wider tip surface area, and your speed (rotations per hand movement) is reduced.

It is true however that if you use a very hard spindle and a very soft hearth, you run the risk of drilling right through the hearth before getting a coal :rolleyes:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
<<I've also had advice that the softer the hearth board the wider the drill may need to be. >>

I generally use a pine hearthboard. Occaisionally I try other woods. The harder the the hearth the more you may get a black polished surface that is amazingly hard to get a good bit of friction out of. If I then use a narrower drill then the extra pressure compensates. If on the other hand I go for a softer board - like horse chestnut or willow I may just get coarser light brown powder and drill quickly through the hearth. A wider drill then gets darker, fine powder that ignites much easier and the board lasts longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE