Hammocking with my puppy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Just been having a ponder and I could use some advice.

I usually take a small tent when I have my dog with me instead of my bivvy bag and tarp during Midge season. It lets her relax inside instead of being in guard mode all the time and out of the Midges if they're biting bad. I've got some new repellent to try on her this year, she always seems to get bitten a lot around the eyes.

I tried a hammock for the first time the other weekend and had some great nights sleep in it so now I'm wondering how anyone else who takes their dog and a hammock does it?

I was thinking of a separate bug net suspended to the ground next to the hammock and over a sleep mat for her. I don't think trying to sleep with a 30kg black Lab in a hammock is a good idea :)

atb,
Stuart

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi Stuart,

It's bad enough having Treacle the blunder dog with me in a tent. He's only 18months old, getting larger all the time, and has more energy than a Duracell bunny.

I can't help you as i've never tried it either, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

All the best,

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stuart, I've got a couple of those fishing tents/ bivvy things, and I'm pretty sure one of them has an inner mesh door. Would that not do for her ?
I know that a fair few of the folks who hammock take these little tents along as undercover storage when they're on a site for a few days or camping on a site with lots of people around.

cheers,
Mary

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I hadn't thought about those wee fishing tents Mary, good thinking :)

You've now got me thinking of sewing up a mini version of a tent just big enough for her to stretch out in. That'd be smaller to pack. It wouldn't take a lot of material, abit of mesh and a zip.

Hmmm you've got me thinking, thanks :D

Brochlach my collie dog is 20kg and he used to sleep in the hammock with swmbo. He prefers sleeping under. You should have a look at that bush shop in Strirling. They were selling dog hides, which were basically really cool looking lightweight tents for dogs. Last time I looked they were around £14.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
That looks perfect if I make up a midge-proof mesh door, thanks for that w00dsmoke and for the link Mary, looks like a run to Stirling tomorrow :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They used to do us a cracking deal on a folding saw and a Frost's Mora :cool:
I still get their catalogues, nice stuff :approve:, mostly a bit professional and out of my price range though for just the wandering around I do.

cheers,
Mary

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
That's true Liam, she does stretch a lot when she's sleeping and then the dreaming starts and legs are flying in all directions :D

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
or one of these army mosquito net tents?

mesh2.jpg

meshtent.jpg

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
As long as It's not bright pink or something Mary :)

That would be perfect to make a thing with. I'd just need to source some mesh and a zip then.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I've got one of them woodspirits, I've used it a few times with us both in it. A smaller version would be perfect for what I'm thinking of.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I tried hammocking with my pooch "frodo" who foung great delight in getting under the hammock and headbutting my backside in the early hours..... Then again......and again

Now I tent or tarp when the pooch is with me... :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE