Hammocking skills and kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
If this is in the wrong place could a mod please move it.

Having just spent my first night in a hammock and seeing how one or two other folk organise their camp im intrigued to know how people organise them selves for comfort, warmth and other practicalities. I am quite interest in what people may keep close to by in order to make things more comfortable etc. Stuff that you may hang on ridge lines for easy access from the hammock etc.

I was intrigued at the different set ups I saw at the weekend with a few diffrent variations on a theme.

I am about to buy some more kit so reading any replies will be a big help.

Cheers

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't tend to have that much gear to hand really Andy, most of what you saw under my tarp was soggy clothes drying out. :rolleyes:
I always have a utility line strung tightly under the tarp, from this I'll hang a stuff sack with a few bits and pieces in and my headtorch once I'm in bed. If it's really grim weather I'll also hang my boots from it and push them down to the end of the hammock.
I put a piece of paracord around one of the trees with a shoelace bow and clip a krab onto that, I'll then clip my pack onto that to keep it off the ground.
Once my shelter's setup I usually make it ready for sleeping in unless it's really cold and wet and I'll probably keep my doss bag in my pack to keep it from getting damp.
I prefer to keep my gear all together in my pack and use it as needed, I suspect it's to stop me from losing it really.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Two sticks in the ground to put upturned boots on is always handy. Once my hammock is setup i take my sleeping bag out and let it air in the bivy bag. Cant think of anything else special..

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Hanging boots from the utility line sounds wise. I had a pair of slugs last time I was out, so lesson learned...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
...interesting you say that. Whenever I've done the same, I've had two large slugs tucked into each toe by morning. :yuck:

Make the sticks a bit longer and you can ever whittle a partial feather stick half way up, that will stop the little bleeders:eek:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Alternatively, encourage a few of them in and boil them up to make slug tea for breakfast. Think Bear Grylls tried that on one of his outings...

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Just my 2p worth:

A pillow of some kind helps to spread the hammock away from the sides of my head, which I find uncomfortable.

A headlight is good to have with you in the hammock.

Sew longish thin pockets to the side of the hammock to put your socks in.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Headlamp, a good book and a breakfast-snack. So when you wake up (I wake early outdoors), you can stay in bed, watch nature come alive and not be hungry.

And if needed: an empty wide mouth bottle for if you really need to go but don't want to get out. Doubles as a hot water bottle once filled.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
This pic illustrates my setup (and also the full set of wanderingstars insulation creations).

1.jpg

Mine is on the left, though I've switched to my cocoon now. The basic setup (forgive my MS paint effort) is this:

HammockSuspension.PNG

Looks a bit of a mess, but it's all pre tied so it goes up quickly with karabiners. The only difference from that (which I knocked up a while back for someone) is that I use a truckers hitch opposite the evenk hitch on the ridgeline. Not shown on the diagram is that I put alpine butterfly loops along the paracord utility line, with mini-carabiners on. Handy for the uco and my coat, and also my [thread=38388]gear hammock[/thread] whuch can be seen above the near end of my hammock. The rucksack and bit's 'n bobs goes on there.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
A Camelbak, I put the end of the straw through the mozzy net on my DD travel hammock and trap it with the zips and leave the camelbak either on the ground or hanging from the ridgeline. Then I've got a drink in the night if I want one.

Gailainne

Life Member
I think you saw my hammock set-up at the weekend, it was a very basic system;
DD hammock, with a decent sized tarp over top (Kathmandu in this instance) with a very basic 3/4 length terma-rest and an old down sleeping bag, I use my clean clothes (in a dry bag) as a pillow (all my stuff is in a dry bag(s)).

The DD doesn't have a ridge line inside, which means no-where to hang stuff from. Other Hammocks like the Hennessy and the Blackbird do have internal ridge lines which will allow you to add small net bags, for glasses, emptying pockets into, your head torch etc, you get the idea, no doubt you can improvise or add one.

I know certain people, Magikelly and Warthog for 2 who have their morning brew set up so they can boil it up without leaving their hammock, quite amusing the first time I saw it :D.

Boots, I leave them so that as I swing out and put my feet down they are right there, never had a problem with slugs, as yet.

I normally always have a water bottle inside, its not a bother at the foot end.

You may remember I was cold the first night, so heated up some water the next and put it in a Nalgene bottle to use as a hot water bottle, that works well, also means you have a drink the next morning.

I normally keep wet wipes and tissues available, wet wipes to give myself a clean before dressing in the morning, while still in my hammock.

can't think of anything else atm

Cheers

Stephen

PS Did you talk to DD about your problem ?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I put a small LED keyring on the taught line, it still fits into the snakeskins. much more convenient than a headlamp I just leave it there.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Great info guys. The camelbak idea sounds good I must admit after a few malts I did wake up wanting a drink but could not be bothered to extricate myself from my sleeping bag.

The Key ring led sounds good too I tried with a small alpkit lantern hung up but it kept getting in the way the next night I took in a head torch that ended up slipping out of the little pocket and under my back so was duly ejected.

Stephen DD sorted the hammock with no issues I now have a new Frontline I am going to have to set up an internal ridge line though.

Also the hot water in the bottle is something I have done whilst out in winter backpacking I didnt think it was going to be quite so cold that night I guess.

Gaz to attach the Krabs all I have done now is cut the DD tape leaving about 30 cm of tape on each end double over hand knotted them together forming a loop and bunged the krab through that.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Scrogger,

Try using a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. It's far more convenient than trying to get in and out of a sleeping bag whilst in a hammock. Of course you could just try using your sleeping bag as a quilt, if it's the right type.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I always take my headtorch in, hang it from the utility line for middle of the night emergencies! I also have a small drybag hanging with a rubbishy little krab from one end of the utility line, usually containing a spare pair of socks and an extra torso layer incase I get cold. Too many times I've missed my boots while leaping out of my hammock to answer the call of the wild in the dark and ended up with soggy socks! That isn't conducive to sleep, and I like my sleep! I also have the carabiner setup on my hammock, to make sure my sleeping bag doesn't get wet should it rain. It's all about a long, dry, comfy sleep for me :)

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Just my 2p worth:

A pillow of some kind helps to spread the hammock away from the sides of my head, which I find uncomfortable.

A headlight is good to have with you in the hammock.

Sew longish thin pockets to the side of the hammock to put your socks in.

I find a pillow in te hammock essential - I just take an empty pillowcase (weighs very little) and put some clothers inside it. Works a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE