Hammock recommendation please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got the Nomadsland xxl (got it from lakeland bushcraft no connection etc) and the dd travel hammock and both are good but i have to say for comfort/and pack size i go for the xxl its a great hammock for a great price.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a Hennesey Asym and love it...

My advice would be to attend a meet and see / try a few before you buy.

Simon

I struggle to get laid flat in mine Simon, even on the diagonal. I've not really used it as much as I should but maybe I should give it another go. I thought it was maybe too short for me (5' 10") but you're taller than me.

I like the compactness of it and found it really useful in Scotland when the weather's good and the wee beasties are out. I quite like the standard tarp even though it's too small for bad weather, I did buy the Hex but got rid eventually.

Do you put up a seperate ridgeline for the DD tarp then ? I meant to have a closer look at Achray but I forgot.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I rig the tarp first - with separate lines, then rig the HH below it...

I got caught out with the original tarp in horizontal rain - the rain was just blowing in under it, so I replaced it with the DD 3 x3 or if base camping the Tatonka 4.4 x 4.5 polycotton.

I sleep better in the HH than my bed at home.

Simon

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I've just got my first hammock, Hennesey asym explorer delux. I'm 6'2" tall and not skinny!!! Tried over xmas and was well impressed. The only down side is the HH tarp seems a little small, so i'm now looking for a larger one.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I use a Hennesey Asym and love it...

My advice would be to attend a meet and see / try a few before you buy.

Simon

Like he says - you'll save a lot of money by trying a few out first. Not just to sit in, but for a few hours at least if you can. Different hammocks suit different people. I started with a DD, and for no reason I can figure, simply didn't get on with it. Then got a HH which I love as a lightweight hammock on mobile trips, but my fave is a Clark NX-250. If in doubt, start with a group buy DD, if it's not right for you then you won't lose much...

TeeGeeBee

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
South Lakes
:rolleyes: I've two but the one for adverse weather, would be the Hennessy Asym. Go for a larger or hex tarp. Having said that, I've slept out in mine with the standard off-set tarp in a severe gale. Found a slight dip and slung hammock in the lea of the dip. Together with an underblanket, I had a good night's sleep, (if a little noisy at times) and was warm as could be. - If I were to buy another hammock, I'd like to try the DD Frontline or Scout. Much cheaper than the Hennessy and great build quality. You may be asking why I got the Hennssey; well I bought s/h, almost new and nearly half price.

I really like mine but the getting in with an underblanket can be a bit tricky. Getting out is a doddle. A side entry like the DD would be easier.

TGB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE