hammock knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv never used a hammock but i would use either a cow or a timber hitch. maby the timber because if i was with mates they can't untie it and give me a rude awakening lol.
many people use webbing slings and carabiners but tbh i cant see the point.

pete

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Just wrap the tapes/cord around the tree and tie it up with a bow. Simple as that. :)

Martin

Yep I'd just do this, it's simple and you dont have to faf around learning new knots. Plus, this is easy to put up and take down in seconds. If you do want knots though, try a double siberian hitch :D

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Just as a warning, I tried tying it with a bow and the knot just came undone when I put any weight on it. Now I just wrap the ropes round the tree and finish of with a surgeon's knot.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I use a simple bow like you would tie your shoe lace with.

The only thing to remember is to pass the rope, tape etc around the tree and tie the bow just below where you passed it around the tree.

I have used this knot loads of times because it's quick, easy to tie and has never let me down. As has already been said it is also easy to untie and if you are worried that one of your mates will ubdo it for a laugh, just tie a double knot like you would with your shoes... hey presto. Job done..

Why make life difficult with complicated knots when a simple bow will do the job.

Cheers

Phill

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Siberian hitch knot on the "starting end": the side of the hammock you tie up first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7dx0WJo9o (at 0.36)

On the other end the improved knot as noted by Ogri:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

This last one enables you to tighten your hammock if so desired before you tie it off, and you can keep the tension on fairly easily during the tying of this knot, because you're wrapping around a tree an creating friction.

If you prefer a slack hammock: Siberian hitch knot at both ends.

PS: once you learn the Siberian hitch knot you will find you use it all the time. Easy to learn and 1 pull = free.

Enjoy hanging!

PS 2: for MANY more knots and suspension systems: www.hammockforums.net

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
Spent a week hammock camping on the Appalachian Trail in May with no drama. The tapes go all the way around the tree and tie with a simple bow (so you have a bow at either end facing inwards). Never let me down. I also tie the hammock to these anchor points using a quick release knot with a second quick release knot pulled part way through it. That way the knot will undo with a quick pull but can't come undone whilst under tension.

Check out the DD hammocks website for some free instructional videos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE