Hacking up a deodorant can ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
Made a quick one today with a lynx deodrant can. Didnt work too well though as the inside bit doesnt have a long thin neck so the holes are practically at the bottom of the burner. Didnt take long though, used a hacksaw to cut the top lip area, then another cut for the inside part, final cut for the bottom. Used a pair of tin snips to do the main cutting, fast and effective.

To empty it, just smacked in on the ground on the nozzle and it all just squirted out.

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Made a quick one today with a lynx deodrant can. Didnt work too well though as the inside bit doesnt have a long thin neck so the holes are practically at the bottom of the burner. Didnt take long though, used a hacksaw to cut the top lip area, then another cut for the inside part, final cut for the bottom. Used a pair of tin snips to do the main cutting, fast and effective.

To empty it, just smacked in on the ground on the nozzle and it all just squirted out.

did a team of scantily clad underwear models come runnng???

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
when i said an old bread knife i use it on aluminium cans because it works like a hacksaw with very fine teeth which ive found cuts rather than rips the cans/bottles. all the stoves i have swopped at the meets with andy2112, tinky pete and johnathon d ( who did a great review of one of my stoves ) have been cut with an old bread knife.......i am hoping to find a new source for the budweiser bottle soon, ive run out, so i am interested if theres anyone out there with a better method ?.......what do you use to make this type of stove british red and raikey ?

Surely a hacksaw would be more efficient?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i,m gonna knock up the Shewie #2 out of a dove can,...the wifes dove *ahem,...with loft insulation,.,.;0

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
a junior hacksaw maybe chris , the larger ones i have tried tend to rip the can rather than cut it due to the larger teeth. i also think it leaves a smoother edge so there is less filing smooth. with regards to the holes being a bit further down than you would like i dont think thats too much of a problem ive made a few with holes at different heights and i think that if the holes are a little lower then the flames do tend to be more efficient , when i make a stove from a bud bottle now i put the holes 20mm from the top this works for me. one other thing i have found that makes marking the cans/bottles out alot easier is to use masking tape, i usually cut a bud bottle 50mm from the bottom then at 195 from the bottom and then at 242 from the bottom i find the masking tape helps me to be more accurate and easier to see the line. it really helps when i mark out the holes, i put around 30 holes in my stoves at 6mm centres and having the masking tape really does make this easier to mark out and to see

Last edited:

davek

Dec 3, 2004
usa
Haha, i would spray as much deodorant out of it as humanly possible then cut into it.

a pair???

Clamp a scribe or something similarly small and pointy in a vise. Then, holding the can near one end (maybe with fingertips), tap the can sharply on the scribe near the other end. Drop the can in the trash, no big deal.

I gave up hacking cans apart. In the end I was only buying the can to experiment with making things so I got a Vargo titanium meths burner that was advertised on here. It may of been more expensive that a deodorant can stove but I have probably spent more money buying tins of stuff I dont need or use just because I thought the tin was an interesting shape.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Did one of these a while back with the lynx can - just make sure they are empty - drilled straight in to the top. Issue I found was that the holes were quite low down so the flame spread was quite wide. The heat output was good too. Got a couple of videos of it on Youtube, the first is of it "blooming" the second is of it boiling water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtJlLmlMNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Tb64imn_M&feature=related

I have some Bud ali bottles that need converting.......

Regards, Paul

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
when i worked in a supermarket as a teenager i was unpacking and filling the shelves with right guard deodorant and i opened the shrink wrapped 12 pak with a stanley knife and accidentally slipped and cut into 2 cans, was really that bad apart from gassing me and half the shop out i didnt die in a massive pressure wave!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE