Goretex seam repair ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Anyone successfully fixed the seams below with a sealer/glue ?

It's a 1992 Trango Extreme jacket, still used climbing/hillwalking now. Minor small fail the rest of the jacket is excellent condition.

SU1BRzIxOTQuanBn.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The tape is generally heat sealed on, but when it fails it's a pain in the situpon to get it hot enough to stick down again without damaging the jacket.
You can buy a bottle of commercial seam sealer that'll do the job though.
The commercial sewing machines have a special attachment that tapes and seals the seam as the garments are made, I was told by a manufacturer. From the way he described it, it seems like it's something like a hot mini hairdrier and press focused on the tape.

If you're absolutely sure it won't be seen and are prepared to risk it, superglue works, though it 'can' leave a stiffer seam...........and there's always a mess with that stuff; hands, clothes, floor, bin....:rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Ta. It's right at the back of the neck at the centre, so it's just been rubbing a lot, since 92.

I may risk just using superglue. I don't think it will melt the plastic and it's to avoid it wearing off. The actual seam is fine underneath.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Get some Mcnett Seam Grip and stick it down is my advice, the stuff is incredible. Its not silicone, but an elastomeric sealant. Works for sticking everything but silicone treated fabrics and even sticks reasonably to plastic boats.

Dust it with talc after, or it'll stick to itself even when cured.

Its in most camping/outdoor shops.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Get some Mcnett Seam Grip and stick it down is my advice, the stuff is incredible. Its not silicone, but an elastomeric sealant. Works for sticking everything but silicone treated fabrics and even sticks reasonably to plastic boats.

Dust it with talc after, or it'll stick to itself even when cured.

Its in most camping/outdoor shops.

I've just been through this too. You definitely want "Seam Grip" not "Seam Seal". The Grip is thick and almost rubbery, but will stick the seam down and hold it.
The Seam Seal will just end up "wetting" both sides, but won't hold them together, or not for long anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE