Goretex, as great as they say?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

goretex, great stuff!

• Yes

Votes: 117 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 109 38.4%
  • I don't know..

Votes: 59 20.8%

• Total voters

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Same here, are these people lying down in the fire or something?

I think when someone has said how great ventile is they won't admit to it being crap in heavy rain, same with the Gortex, one person says you get holes in it and people just jump on the bandwagon. Typical equipment boo lox talk really.

Mar 25, 2010
accrington
I have to give gortex the thumbs up.:)
I have 3 gortes coats and they are of various types, 1 is a mountain equip coat, it has never let me down and i have been in some torential rain in that. the ohter 2 are army issue. 1 is UK issue the other is Dutch army issue. the UK issue is good & big but no pockets, purely an over jacket for foul weather. The dutch one is great, three layer garment. i would not wear my mnt eqp one next to an open fire in case of sparks (and cost) but the dutch one has a cotton / canvas outer layer that resists a spark well.
you do have to look after your gortex now and then treating it with a wash, tumble dry and iron, i have never had a problem with water getting in with any of these coats.
i also have a gortex ponch (army issue) that is also very good.

Ive got the dutch army jacket and pants and i cant fault them . They have been used for fishing , hunting and work on the farm and have never let me down , though i do wash and proof them regulary . I bought them years ago from feltons and the bloke in the shop advised me to get the dutch stuff which i did . My mate ignored him and got the british stuff and its not a patch on the dutch stuff.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
When out walking, I sweat soak my shirt every time. How could I expect a waterproof breathable membrane to cope with the high volume of sweat that a shirt cannot?

If goretex pores are smaller than water, how can it leak?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Same here, are these people lying down in the fire or something?

Nah - lighting a Hobo I held it up to blow on it...an ember fell out and melted through 3 layers of synthetic clothing before I felt it. I have also had synthetics wrecked by sparks leaping from an open fire and melting holes in synthetics, bits of baccy falling out of my pipe and melting holes, a match head breaking off and melting a hole in synthetic fabric...synthetics and heat do not mix!

Hangman

Tenderfoot
I've a Mera Peak jacket that I use for cycling and day to day use - it's been greta and far better than other stuff I use for cycling. I'm looking at another as I holed the jacket after slipping off my bike - but then I've had 10 years out of it so I've had my money's worth.

For bushcrafting I wouldn't use it due to being close to fire. I'd love a ventile smock but can't afford one at the moment so I'm using a ex US gore tex smock at £20 quid it's not the end of the world if it gets the odd hole in - I'll patch and put seam sealent over it.

Having used ventile previously I like it a lot.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
The other day we went for a walk around a local forest. It rained throughout.

I was wearing a Coolmax top (proper old-skool Coolmax, not a blend), Merino mid layer and an 'Entrant DT' Endura cycling jacket, my waxed, brimmed hat on top and my ACU trousers and MOD DPM MVP trousers.

I had no issues at all with moisture when I was out. For the activity in question, my kit was just about right.

Of all the membrane waterproof jackets I've had, the Entrant DT material seems to be the best for maintaining its water repellancy and its breath-ability. It did once get a very small tear from an mountain bike fall, but easily fixed with super-glue and a small piece of duct-tape on the inside . It's not as insulating as three layer Gore-Tex, but it is light. Recommended.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I've got a goretex paclite jacket that I got cheap at an outdoor shop I worked at. It was great for years, very small and light. But now it leaks a lot and my last attempt to reproof it using a wash in waterproofer was very unsuccessful. Now I can't justify the expense of buying another pack of the stuff so i'm just puttin up with the leaks....

W.L Gore seems like a fairly decent company, to work for at least. They have an interesting approach to management, approaching a non-hierarchical, workers co-op type affair.

From wikipedia:
"Bill Gore first presented the concept of a “lattice” organization to Gore associates in 1967. He later refined his ideas and presented what he termed “culture principles” in a paper entitled “The Lattice Organization – A Philosophy of Enterprise.” It was distributed to Gore associates in 1976.[13]

Unlike the traditional management structure that Bill Gore had experienced at DuPont, he proposed a flat, lattice-like organizational structure where everyone shares the same title of “associate.” There are neither chains of command nor predetermined channels of communication. Leaders replace the idea of “bosses.” Associates choose to follow leaders rather than have bosses assigned to them. Associate contribution reviews are based on a peer-level rating system.

Bill Gore articulated four culture principles that he called freedom, fairness, commitment and waterline:

* Associates have the freedom to encourage, help, and allow other associates to grow in knowledge, skill, and scope of responsibility
* Associates should demonstrate fairness to each other and everyone with whom they come in contact
* Associates are provided the ability to make one's own commitments and are expected to keep them
* A waterline situation involves consultation with other associates before undertaking actions that could impact the reputation or profitability of the company and otherwise “sink the ship.”

In the lattice organization, associates are encouraged to communicate directly with each other and are accountable to fellow members of their teams. Hands-on product innovation and prototyping are encouraged. Teams typically organize around opportunities, new product concepts, or businesses. As teams evolve, leaders frequently emerge as they gain followership. This unusual organizational structure and culture has been shown to be a significant contributor to associate satisfaction and retention."

For a large multinational this seems pretty unusual and a step in the right direction.

Pete, the material is not designed to be waterproofed, you may have made things worse.

The lattice is supposed to be small enough to allow steam out one way, but not the larger "water" from the other. You can't waterproof goretex, as the water proofing is down to the size of the lattice.

As far as I know anyway,:dunno:

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I prefer the alternatives Fortex etc. they are much cheaper and just as good, favorite is ventile though for strength, I have ripped many a lightweight shell.

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
Used goretex for a while now for my motorbike gear. Not had the gloves leak once even on a 5 hour trip around the lakes in the pouring rain, even though the outer material has worn away. Got goretex boots, they never leaked. Also use the DPM goretex trousers, never leaked once and are brilliant at keeping wind out.

I hate gotex its rotten stuff leaks so bad you become a drowned rat in a very short time I live on the wet coast of Canada and not the snowy east coast but I found a solution to the problem silicon treated the jacket and rain just beads up and rolls off now and it is still breathable now how perfect is that...

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
I have two gore-tex jackets, perfect at the beginning but started leaking after a year. A friend of mine, a mountaineer who is into sponsorship wears only eVent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE