GOOD WOODS FOR BOW DRILL.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
What a useful video.
How much of your bow drill kit do you carry and how much do you forage the components? He seemed to be using local woods but carried the top bearing.
Looking at the need to refresh the spindle top so frequently as it “shoulders” made me think. I’ve seen that very expensive knife with a steel bearing hollow in the handle.

Does anyone carry anything like say a 30mm taper bearing for this job?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What a useful video.
How much of your bow drill kit do you carry and how much do you forage the components? He seemed to be using local woods but carried the top bearing.
Looking at the need to refresh the spindle top so frequently as it “shoulders” made me think. I’ve seen that very expensive knife with a steel bearing hollow in the handle.

Does anyone carry anything like say a 30mm taper bearing for this job?
It depends on where the line is for you.

I know of folk how do carry a bearing but for me that’s the point where it feels too far - might as well just carry a lighter then to my mind.

Reactions: Pattree

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My favourites -
Hazel spindle, Ivy hearth, any old bow but usually Hazel, paracord cord (synthetic) bramble (natural), Antler bearing block with Limpet bearing insert. This was my usual teaching kit but I also like Lime on Lime and Willow on Willow (all very old and dry) ,,, never tried Elder....

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My favourites -
Hazel spindle, Ivy hearth, any old bow but usually Hazel, paracord cord (synthetic) bramble (natural), Antler bearing block with Limpet bearing insert. This was my usual teaching kit but I also like Lime on Lime and Willow on Willow (all very old and dry) ,,, never tried Elder....

You know how elder cracks off branches if you grab hard ?
Well those branches usually split a bit too, and you can pull that split apart and break off a decent hearth board. It's pretty reliably good.

Reactions: John Fenna

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
My favourite combinations in no particular order;

• Sycamore on Sycamore
  • Hazel on Hazel
  • Willow on Willow
  • Hazel on Ivy
  • or a mix of any of the above
Bearing blocks, when i was doing lots of demos at shows and schools i used to use a stone with a depression in it or a block of wood with a Limpet shell, when teaching i used the same as the students which was normally a wooden bearing block with a green leaf in it.

53607770598_16dea89baa_c.jpg

Yes, that block has seen many, many friction fires as can be attested by the polish of the central depression.

53607743961_d1783d1224_c.jpg

Cord, i always like many others here used pull start cord, cheap as chips and seriously resilient, always had a hank of it with me when out and about, makes good emergency boot laces too.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My favourite combinations in no particular order;

• Sycamore on Sycamore
  • Hazel on Hazel
  • Willow on Willow
  • Hazel on Ivy
  • or a mix of any of the above
Bearing blocks, when i was doing lots of demos at shows and schools i used to use a stone with a depression in it or a block of wood with a Limpet shell, when teaching i used the same as the students which was normally a wooden bearing block with a green leaf in it.

53607770598_16dea89baa_c.jpg

Yes, that block has seen many, many friction fires as can be attested by the polish of the central depression.

53607743961_d1783d1224_c.jpg

Cord, i always like many others here used pull start cord, cheap as chips and seriously resilient, always had a hank of it with me when out and about, makes good emergency boot laces too.

Yep, my current bearing block is a granite pebble with a depression ground in it and polished - it will last forever.

I think we need to remember paleo man carried everything with him. He did not rely on finding a good, dry, hearth or a seasoned drill, or make his string on the spot; getting a fire going was too important to put it to chance.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Those limpets have given me an idea.

IMG_6233.jpeg
IMG_6234.jpeg

This glazed pottery oyster was made by my pottery tutor in a matter of seconds.
I’m going to make a glazed pottery limpet or two :red: (in a bit longer!)

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What different woods do you consider useful for making a bow drill set? What have you used? what worked/didn't work? I looked on the forum and whilst there is a tremendous amount of knowledgeable postings they are scattered. I could not find a thread specifically discussing just this one aspect. As ever I look forward to your collective knowledge and experience. d x
What materials have people tried that have been difficult or even useless. I think that is just as important as the ones that work x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
It depends on where the line is for you.

I know of folk how do carry a bearing but for me that’s the point where it feels too far - might as well just carry a lighter then to my mind.
the guy in the video had been gifted the metal bearing block and was just showing it out of interest. His entire set was made by what was at hand. x

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I like elder or sycamore maple hearth, elder or sycamore drill. Didn't get on with alder, birch. Haven't tried willow, never had ivy big enough at the same time as thinking about hearths.

Novel bearing block, on advice of Mors: Black poplar bark! not as long lasting as stone, but much better than green wood, and easier to put a depression in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE