Good Bergens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
You must try rucksacks before buying. I tried 5 before settling on my current one, and that was with weight in them. I currently have an army issue bergen for short range high capacity and a 70+L Lowe Alpine. I did try on a range of sacks before the LA but it ended up fitting better and cost a bit less :)

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I'm firmly in the Lowe Alpine camp when it comes to load carrying kit.
Best back sizing system I've come across and the "crossbow" models are quite an eye opener if you're not used to them.

Also like the Karrimor SF kit though.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a Lowe Alpine Alpamayo 75+20 or something and I use it for climbing... very good and indeed very comfy... the only problem is the bright red colour :eek:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
leon-1 said:
If you like the Alpamayo you will like the Salient, slightly less capacity, but you can by it in Olive :)

I've had the Lowe alpine for years and years now... I have a webtex bergen and a Swedish army 35ltr sack for bushcraft stuff.

It's all good though ;)

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I have the Alpamayo in green & black, horrified the guys in the local outdoor shop by hanging side pockets on it. Which apparently defeats the purpose of the design or something.....

Good capacity and an absolute joy to carry in comparison to most.

Although I would like something that could take bulkier items. One of the larger Sabres might be on my over winter shopping list.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
never tried the highlander system myself but consider buying a good berghaus vulcan off ebay.
these are the bergens that the plce bergen was based on.
if you decide to get one second hand make sure you go in to a good camping shop and get yourself measured up as the vulcans come in a few different sizes!
if you cant afford to get one of these than there are plenty of good second hand olive green plce bergens about. also make sure that you get the longback version and check the condition of the internal frame as the rivets have a nasty habit of breaking when you dont want them to!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
sandbender said:
'West Highland Way with PLCE"

In April I walked the GR70 (Chemin de Stevenson) in France, thats about 250 km - ish.

I used a Sabre 45 with rocket packs, its a great pack, very tough, good array of pockets etc. but I will never walk a long distance with one again, it nearly killed me!

I've walked much longer routes (up to 1500km) using a both a Lowe Alpine and a Crux pack and will stick with them for distance work from now on.
So you wont be needing the shiny new Norrona 35l then Andrew :D Seriously would be interesting to hear how it goes in use ( nice photos in the other thread). I guess you will use it for shorter trips rather than long distance walking?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Moonraker said:
So you wont be needing the shiny new Norrona 35l then Andrew :D Seriously would be interesting to hear how it goes in use ( nice photos in the other thread). I guess you will use it for shorter trips rather than long distance walking?

Yes, really just for trips into the forests where I live, although Its ideally sized for lashing down in my canoe.

Will probably sell the Sabre, if I place it on ebay, and attach the the name 'Ray Mears' to it, I will probably get back double what I paid for it...

;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE