Good Bergens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hi Willie

I've been using Berghaus kit for the last 20 years. Hard wearing, reliable, good quality.

Wouldn't be without my Munro 35 litre day sac or my Vulcan 100 litre, particularly as the side pockets zip off to make a 20 litre day sac.

I know they're not cheap, but quality never is. Sometimes come up on Ebay quite cheap.

PM me if u want any more info - pics etc.

Chris

Nov 12, 2004
United Kingdom
I always use the karrimor-sf sabre range they're very similar to the karrimor rucsac range but are produced for the special forces so are made to higher specifications.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I use my PLCE for the longer trips, or if there are suitable facilites, I try to use my Maxi Vulture. Its surprising how much you can get in that fellow, esp after adding couple side pockets... :cool:

Jun 2, 2005
The PLCE is very comfy, for me wearing any other bergan just feels wrong. The PLCE will take unlimited amounts of abuse, has all the room you could need, the side pockets can be used as a day sack and its pretty cheap.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
willie said:
Hey is the plce comfy say for doing like long distance routes i.e The West highland Way ???

I'd personally say no. Basically you could do it but it wouldn't be very comfortable. The PLCE rucksack has a very basic back system i.e. foam padded back (basic internal aluminium frame) shoulder straps and waist belt.

The back doesn't really allow for air circulation so when working hard you get a sweaty back which in turn can lead to bergen burn over long distances. Whilst the shoulder straps are padded and reasonably comfy the waist belt has none at all ..... it's just a webbing strap ..... and as most of the load should be resting on your hips this can mean it is particularly uncomfortable over long distances. Having said that these observations are based on my experiences carrying very heavy loads with the Army and I expect you won't be carrying as many bombs and bullets as I sometimes do :) so with lighter loads it may be ok ....... and to give it its due it is very very hard wearing.

My recommendation would be a Karrimor Jaguar/Sabre type rucksack (I think they have the same back system?) or the Berghaus Vulcan. The Vulcan has a slightly smaller capacity than a PLCE bergen (only by about 20L difference though) but has a much better back system (I find it just as comfortable as the Jaguar/Sabre).

I mentioned on another thread that the RV-1 shop people have added an extra couple of zips to the Vulcan so you can add an extra PLCE side pouch to the back of the pack. A handy little option.

I've also heard good things about the Lowe Alpine Military range of sacks particularly the Saracen (looks suspiciously like a Vulcan!) ....... they come in green as well as DPM :D !

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I definitely would go for the berghaus Vulcan. The older model, the Crusader, was better as I prefered the single compartment, whereas the Vulcan has a zip near the base. They are very hard wearing and much lighter than the PLCE and much more comfortable. I was told once that berghaus actually made the PLCEs as well but I'm not sure. And yes, the Munro is equally as good. I like the simple design of berghaus which doesn't have thousands of adjuster straps all over it which get in the way and squeek when your'e walking.
The only thing negative I've ever found with the berghaus is that the elasticated lid can lose its elasticity after a while, but they take a really good pounding unlike many others. Basically, anything military is heavy and bulky,but strong. Both can be thrown out of helicopters fully loaded without damage.
The vulcan used to be nearly £200.00 but you can get them for £140.00 now from various places. It's well worth it. Munro approx £60.00.

Julian.

leon-1

I'll vouch for the Lowe Alpine range, they can be made very comfy with the different back systems that they have, I must admit I prefer the salient though.

I have used and bought a Karrimor Jagauar SA bergen also and found it very good. I have the sabre 45 with side pouches. I used to like the old Berghaus Cyclops Roc although not massively adjustable a good pack :)

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Jjv110 said:
Both can be thrown out of helicopters fully loaded without damage.

Julian.

Not entirely true tho I wish it was - I had a fully-loaded Vulcan disappear out the back of an HC-2 and perfectly placed down a deep ravine courtesy of an over-enthusiastic RAF loadmaster about half mile short of the planned drop off. After a slog back to find it, the lid and one strap had been ripped off and contents deposited all over. Biggest loss was my stash of hot choc from the rat packs :(

Did some running repairs using lots of paracord and some duct tape, and it was back in use :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
'West Highland Way with PLCE"

In April I walked the GR70 (Chemin de Stevenson) in France, thats about 250 km - ish.

I used a Sabre 45 with rocket packs, its a great pack, very tough, good array of pockets etc. but I will never walk a long distance with one again, it nearly killed me!

I've walked much longer routes (up to 1500km) using a both a Lowe Alpine and a Crux pack and will stick with them for distance work from now on.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
sandbender said:
I used a Sabre 45 with rocket packs, its a great pack, very tough, good array of pockets etc. but I will never walk a long distance with one again, it nearly killed me!

What problems did you have? Did it have a lack of padding/could you not adjust it to your back properly? Was thinking of buying one .......

I've used and abused a Karrimor Jaguar for years now and love it ...... from a look at the various websites that stock them I think its only the Sabre 70 upwards that have the same SA Supercool back system that the Karrimor Jaguar?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Beer Monster said:
What problems did you have? Did it have a lack of padding/could you not adjust it to your back properly? Was thinking of buying one

No none of the above, I did have a fairly heavy load (heavy for me) 12-15kg, I was walking up to 35 km a day over various types of terrain and I am nearly 40 ;)

Quite a drag on the shoulders, abrasions on back, hips etc. I found that by the end of the day I spending all my time looking at the ground four feet in front of me rather than the wonderous scenery I was walking through.

For two days hired a taxi to take my pack ahead to my next destination and had a much more enjoyable walk.

The pack just has a very basic back system, ok for a couple of days in my local forest but not something which I'd recommend for long distance travel. That said the Sabre 45 is a very tough and versatile pack, I'll be holding on to mine and was using it earlier this week during a day and a night walking in Perthshire.

I walked the 500km of the Lycean Way in Turkey with a much heavier load (mostly water) using a Crux AK50, the terrain was extremely rough, the heat appalling but my back was fine.

I also walked 1500km across Europe over three and a bit months, including one 60 km day. I used a Lowe Alpine 70 L pack then, no problems and sometimes I was blissfully unaware that I was even wearing a pack.

These packs just have better designed back systems, they're more expensive yes, but then so is a chiropractor ;).

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
NickBristol said:
Not entirely true tho I wish it was - I had a fully-loaded Vulcan disappear out the back of an HC-2 and perfectly placed down a deep ravine courtesy of an over-enthusiastic RAF loadmaster about half mile short of the planned drop off. After a slog back to find it, the lid and one strap had been ripped off and contents deposited all over. Biggest loss was my stash of hot choc from the rat packs :(

Did some running repairs using lots of paracord and some duct tape, and it was back in use :D

I know what Jules means -not from a flying helicopter! Out of the door and onto the ground after the chopper has touched down.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I got a web-tex plce, it's great. Hardwearing, quite comfortable and has alot of useful little pockets aswell as a main sack. Another good addition is the detachable side pockets that can be clipped onto a yoke and used as a daysack :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE