Going solo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I do a lot of fishing by myself and theres nothing like bringing your catch back to camp and cooking it on an open fire with nature all around and anyway i dont know many who live in my area who are into bushcraft but hopfully that will change thanks to BCUK.:D

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Anyone go camping themselves? Or always with people?

Most of the time camping and hunting go together. And it is just my wife and I and
our horses. We like it this way spent 9 weeks in the wilds of kodiak island
last year enjoyed every day of it we will go back.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I've done a bit of both. When with a group I seem to stay up later and drink more :eek: and always feel the worse for it after a couple of days. On my own, as others have said, it's a chance to just chill out and focus on things that I want to work on.

It's also quite satisfying to know that you're reliant solely on what you're carrying and you have to solve your own problems ;)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
A bit of both for me....I like being in small groups of say 3 to 5 people but I'm also happy with large meets.

Aye totally agree. Enjoy getting out on my own, generally get to see and do much more. If its with a group though, I personally much prefer smaller groups, although larger groups are good if its just a social get together.

I spent the week before the WEISS course totally alone with a canoe in the Swedish nature and had the most woderfully relaxing time I can remember for ages......actualy if I'm honest (and you might want to stop reading here if you've just eaten) I spent most of the week naked :eek: It was so blooming hot and I though what the heck, good enough for cavemen....good enough for me. Had to cover up later at midge o'clock though :puppy_dog

Unlike EVERYTHING else i've heard and seen of this this year's Vildmark and WEISS course and really wishing I had been back there this year and seen it all again.....

....I'm really glad I wasn't there to see that! :eek:

P.S I'm no longer surprised you didn't catch any fish.....your bait wasn't big enough. :nana: ;)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Normally I'm out solo. As I like to be alone in the woods, sort out my thoughts etc. But also because I'm out on days most people can't make it, or just for a half a day wondering around. Being out alone gives you (IMO) more confidence in your skills, but of course for the odd chat etc. it's nice when someone is along with you, though I'm perfectly happy to shut up for 3-4 days when I'm out alone.

Last week whilst discussing holiday plans (we're of to Paris in August) my GF told me she wants to come along with me for a day or 2 :eek: (she did the odd camping with her parents, which she liked) So she can experience what I'm talking about :D

L : :You_Rock_ :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Only been away twice on my own but i would like to do it again. Recently took a trip with a friend which also was great but i did feel a lot more relaxed when alone.

I guess there are advantages and disadvantages but i would definately recommend at least trying the odd solo trip and it really does open your eyes and gives you a confidence boost. ;)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I personally prefer to be alone most of the time, or with people that don’t speak English. (I seem to get along much better with people I cant verbally communicate with)

I almost always travel alone and find that the more remote and alone or immersed in a totally alien culture I am, the more content I feel.

I don’t really get along with people all that well, I get frustrated with people quickly and if I'm honest with myself I'm not very good at hiding my contempt for those I consider foolish.

Unless its a very small group of people whom I have known for quite some time and I know I get along with, my discomfort with groups of people often results in aloof behaviour on my part, that does little to help positive group dynamics

pvtcamo

May 21, 2007
Krapina, Croatia
I was already startin' to think there's somethin' wrong with me, since I'm almost always alone in the woods (nobody to go with), but now I see I'm not the only one.
Funny how we all (or most af us at least) prefer solo bushcraftin'...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, I've just had a quick tally up and it seems that of the 23 who answered the question...

14 are either undecided, prefer going alone and with others or don't have much choice due to friends not being into it etc.

6 people prefer going on their own

3 people prefer the company of others

I would say then that the large majority of people are in the middle, and that the remaining that go either way are the minority... the lone wanderers being the larger of the minority... This might actually make an interesting poll. *hint*hint* :D

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm often alone in the woods. For me it doesn't matter much if I'm alone or with someone. Alone, you'll have a better chance of seeing wildlife and I feel I'm more tuned in to my surroundings. but with someone else I can share experiences. So it's both good. But I must say going solo builds up confidence. Most people I knowlook weird when I say I'm alone in the woods at night on a regular basis. They say it's scary and say it's foolish. But it's more foolish to not have the feeling to be able to rely on yourself, alone and away from home.

Anyway, it Would actually make a great poll :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
In a book I've just finished reading ' The strange last voyage of Donald Crowhurst' there was a chap called Bernard moitessier who took part in the first Golden Globe single handed round the world race. To cut along story short he sailed round the world and as he got to the south atlantic on the final stretch home he turned his boat around and carried on sailing round the world again. He was almost certain to win the prize of $25,000 and a medal but he couldn't face the thought of the crowds and attention. He preferred his own company. Here's a quote from him....

"I have no desire to return to Europe with all its false gods. They eat your liver out and suck your marrow and brutalize you. I am going where you can tie up a boat where you want and the sun is free, and so is the air you breathe and the sea where you swim and you can roast yourself on a coral reef....

Not sure about the false gods, maybe he meant money and posessions but I can understand him wanting to be away from the madding crowds and pressures of life

http://www.bluemoment.com/moitessier.html

I havn't read his book yet but he sounds like a fascinating chap.

I've no problems with being on my own at all, and have camped alone several times. But I don't mind a bit of company too. But if I'm on my own....no problem.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I prefer to be alone. That is, as long as I choose it.
Solitute is great but Lonlyness is terrible.

I noticed that people carry more than their rucksack. Once I had a guy with me and I felt all depressed about life and everything. I didnt know what was wrong with me until I took a **** in the forest and felt great, I was the happy me. Then I came back to the guy at the fireplace I got all depressed again. I found that very strange. Then I took my dog for a long walk and felt wonderfull again. I thought it had to do with the guy, why I am feeling great alone while sitting with him together at the fire place made me deppressed. He didnt say much but he was like a dark cloud filling the air. In that case I was much much happier alone.

Then I was stuck in the woods for a night, **** cold minus 20. I was laying in two sleeping bags over each other and thought what my family is doing at home. I wanted to be with them, taking a hot shower, eating some warm bread, laying on the sofa watching the news, having a good beer and felt terrible lonly.

Cheers
Abbe

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
It's been a long time since I read "Cape Horn the logical Route" but I seem to remember his decision was quite a spur of the moment thing taken when he was cold, wet, tired and miserable.

Can't remember who said it but one of the great solo sailors said "it's easier to be lonely in a crowd than it is when your at sea"

Cheers Roy

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've done more alone than in groups. I used to do more hikes and stuff without the 'Bushcraft' bent and most of this was alone. The experiences are so memorable for the surroundings and that little bit of fear. You also listen to yourself a lot more - a kind of meditation I suppose. The other thing is I take a lot of photos and being alone means I can set these up at my own pace without winding people up. It does make your pack flipping heavy though when you add 5kg of photo gear and there's noone to carry half of the tent!

Getting lost alone in the middle of the Spanish Systema Central put the wind up me and kept me in front of the tv for a few years! I'm back at it now, sometimes alone, but recently in a group on a course which was great. I'm also keen to get involved with the meetups from this site, once my home/work situation gives me a little more time...

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Almost always solo. He travels fastest who travels alone. Plus then I can change plans as the mood fits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE